Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG electric models

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Fantana2

Also what’s the charger included in the finance offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Dubwat

I've a MG5 LR about a month. Drove from Dublin to a small town near Drogheda during the week. Went up via the M50/M1 and came back via Duleek/M2/N2. It's almost 50km exactly door-to-door from Dublin to 'small town' but I don't think it's 50km coming back via the alternative route.

Used 20% of the battery on the way up (120km/hr) and 15% coming back (80-120km/hr). If you do the maths, that's roughly 250 km - 330 km range. I could probably do better once I optimize my driving and usage of the Air-Con. All figures are approx.

People often reference this site as an authority --> https://ev-database.org/car/1526/MG-MG5-EV-Long-Range

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Not expected until next month. Or at least end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

is the new refreshed MG5 EV LR coming to Ireland in right hand drive does anyone know. Looks great imo. I know it’s released in Europe but only in left hand drive so far. Would certainly be tempted.

I heard Feb-March. there is a smaller battery ZS and facelift MG5 coming early next year. But with all the global shortages and delays who knows when that will actually be here.

• Advertisement

Probably worth holding off so to order the MG5 EV LR facelift model. No doubt pricing will be similar as the current long range. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭podge3

Got a quote from an MG dealer for a new ZS EV with my Leaf as a trade in. Offered €4.5k less than Nissan and Kia dealers on the Leaf. Wiped out any saving on the MG.

Test drove the MG5 Sr on a 24hr loan last week. What a great car for the money and a 7 year warranty with it. Drove the fully loaded Exclusive. Very impressed with it. Good build quality and plenty of room in the car and I’m 6’3”. Probably looks nicer also in person rather than on web. Acceleration was great - it’s a quick car from zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ffocused

I enquired about it at the beginning of November and got below reply from MG Ireland

The facelift MG5 is unavailable in right hand drive, however we have just launched our new MG5 EV Long range model which is available in authorised MG dealerships now.

Looks like first quarter of 2022 at the very earliest but I’d imagine it’ll be middle of next year being realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

saw an advert for them yesterday, will they have a branding problem as its just a front for some no name chinese company?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭innrain

It is not really no name. SAIC is the parent company which is Chinese state owned (!) and have been around since 50s. Maxus is one brand owned by the same company, which is in Ireland for some time (not necessarily a good time), but it has way more other brands on the domestic market like SAIC VW or SAIC GM. They sold half million cars overseas and over 4 million total this year. On the electric market they have SAIC-GM-Wuling which produces the small mini EV, touted to be the best selling EV with nearly half a million units in 16 months (it costs less than 5k on their domestic market). Audi Q5 etron will be buit by SAIC-VW for the China market. So they have the expertise to build decent cars. And MG I have seen are decent. Not exciting, quite the opposite but decent. People complain that we don't have enough cheap EVs and I think this brand is quite important for this segment. If you can get over (!) that is. Since I saw MG5 for the first time I thought it makes for the perfect taxi car. And I see them more and more as taxis. Saw 2 MG5 taxis in Phibsborough the other day. Yet to get into one but yet to be in a taxi for years now. Would the after sales support be at the same level with West brands? Time will tell. I believe the MG dealerships are former Mitsubishi ones so I would expect to be a similar experience. But I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im sure the cars will be ok or even great value, just from a brand perspective people will remember that its not a continuation of an old British car company , or isnt in the BMW stable, there is no heritage here, just some company buying a name.

Not saying they are wrong but I think customers would embrace new brands as its new technology

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭crisco10

We test drove an MG5 and MG ZS recently.

For what they are we really liked them, at the time we compared them to Ryanair. They are cheaper, and it is obvious where costs have been saved, but that's not necessarily a problem per se.

We decided against for a few reasons, some personal preference but also the trade in being offered for our car was about 25% off what other dealers were offering us which eroded a fair amount if the sticker price savings.

Same experience with trade-in value. I was very interested in the new LR MG ZS but the value on my own car was an insult. The MG dealer said there is no "wriggle room" in the price so no discounts for cash or a trade-in "bonus".

It ended up that the cost to me of the cheaper Excite ZS EV was more or less cost as a Kia e-Niro. Needless to say, I went for the Kia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Thats weird i experienced the opposite , i was offered 2k more than what Kia were offering and 3k more than what VW

were offering for my honda civic

I guess it depends on the dealer, their stock and the car you are trading in.

I got offered 11k from Tesla. I know they just use a garage nearby to value them as they don't take the trade-in. But it was so bad Tesla rang me and said sorry :)

Probably just down to the dealer I tried.

I didn't really pursue the MG to be honest. The price of the original version was very enticing but the newer (& better) model really does push it into e-Niro territory.

You really need to be comparing the higher spec ZS to the e-Niro to get a like for like comparison IMHO. While that variant does have a few extras over the Kia, there is really very little in the price - and that excludes any trade-in discrepancies.

I might have been tempted by €5k differential in favour of the MG but that was unlikely to happen, even with the base variant.

I reckon MG will be a force to be reckoned with in years to come.

An e-niro is showing up as 39K on their site. The MG starts at 32K for the base model. Which is on par with the niro spec wise. It is 35k for the top spec which is much nicer than the e-niro. That €4,500 or €7,000 is still a decent chunk of change.

Using Carzone, I think the OTR price of the Kia is €40k, inclusive of metallic paint. The ZS Excite is €32800 plus €700 for metallic paint, so €33,500 if you go for metallic. The Exclusive is over €37k with metallic. Kia are currently offering a €500 Supervalu voucher with each new purchase so that helps a little also.

While the ZS Excite is well specced, the e-Niro has several features that only the Exclusive has e.g. "leather" seats, heated seats front and back (front only in the MG), raining sensing wipers etc. Obviously the Exclusive has a sunroof which is not available on the Kia.

The Kia has about 50BHP more, although the 0-100km dash is not too different.

Perhaps if I was buying for cash, I would go for the ZS Excite and forego some of the goodies. There really is very little between the Exclusive & the eNiro, price wise.

Off topic a little, while both cars are comparable in size, the MG is about 130kg lighter than the Kia, even though the battery is 5kwh larger. Does this indicate that the Kia is better built?

• Advertisement

That carzine price looks like a place holder. The official price is 34,995. Unless they are adding silly money for delivery.

The MG has vehicle to load as well so you can plug things into it and charge them. That's a feature normally only seen in the higher end inoniq 5. Great for camping or pumping the kids pool out the back 🤣

Most companies charge about €1k for "delivery charges". It really grinds my gears that this is not included in all quoted prices. I think only VW advertise the OTR price.

I agree, its great to see the V2L featured on such a relatively cheap car.

1000 to deliver it and they still ring you and say come and collect it 🤣. For that I'd want it outside the door with a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Should be regulations tbh on additional costs. You wouldn't get away with that buying at TV. Why is it OK when it's tens of thousands purchase on a car.

Yeah, can't understand why this is still allowed. We can't use grocery vouchers on a bottle of wine anymore thanks to our nanny state, but hidden costs of €1k are fine 😒.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Derek Reilly from EV Review Ireland looks at the MG5 Long Range. Exterior, interior and takes it out for a road test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I’m looking into buying an MG ZS EV. Can anyone recommend a dealership who is good to deal with? Dealerships seem thin in the ground, Galway, Cork, Tipperary and Dublin. I’m based in the NW.

Thanks.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

North West it is prob Galway? Shiels are the MG dealer in Gakway. Not sure what they are like to deal with. They are also in Limerick.

Will prob be in the Galway one soon for a test drive myself.

Took the ZS EV for a spin today. It's really nice. Looks different in real life. I walked past it thinking it was too fancy and had to double back.

Inside is very nice. Majority is that fake leather and the dash is mainly soft plastic. Still very stylish and not cheap feeling at all.

Infotainment is super fast. Navigation opens in a second. 360 camera was nice too. Radio etc all very responsive.

Driving then felt very solid. battery gives a nice weight. I'm coming from an outlander which is huge and this didn't feel small. Good uptick for over taking and steering was nice. Obviously it was just 10 mins around the city ring road but I liked it.

Deposit down for delivery in Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Great feedback Grumpypants. I have been looking at a lot of reviews online and it’s getting a very positive response. I had booked a test drive in Linders this Saturday but unfortunately can no longer make it.

Is February the delivery date for December ordering? Do you mind me asking what sort of price they quoted? The list price is €35k plus €700 for metallic paint for the Exclusive but I have seen them advertised on DoneDeal for €37.5k.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement