Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MG electric models

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

Hey guys, as I while away the days, weeks & months waiting for my car I've been slowly building a list of accessories I'd like to get for it. One item I would have had my eye on was a frunk. I know it dosent come with one......well it does now! As I was browsing through youtube this link popped up on my feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryhi8ZJsIOk .

Looks like an Irish company (www.evaccessoriesireland.com) that are doing aftermarket frunks for different model ev's including the mg zs. Looking at the price of them they are not too expensive either.

I think i'm going to have to get me one of these. I think it adds approx 55L of additional storage space. I ordered my ZS with the spare wheel so it would be nice to have somewhere else to put the charge cable.

Anyway, thought you might want to take a look as you are all waiting for your own.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cheers Farrell's, I feel your pain with the wait!!!!

I booked last weekend, and discussed the frunk. The sales guy showed me a pic of the prototype of the frunk, said an Irish company was creating one with the in partnership. Given how much space is under the bonnet it's badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

Looks like the 72kwh LR isn't going to Australia: https://thedriven.io/2022/03/07/mg-jacks-up-zs-ev-pricing-ahead-of-july-launch-but-ditches-long-range-option/

Seems like a daft move when you consider the size of Australia.

Whatever waffle MG might spout, the real reason is probably scarcity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That frunk is a good idea, but I'd like some kind of lid on it if I was to store anything in there. Even just looking at my own engine that is in good condition there is still lots of dust in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do you have to actually have the car to get the grant paid back?

I’ve ordered and put down deposit for the car in December but it’s been pushed out to maybe July. The charger was installed but can I claim the relief by just putting down the kind of car I will be buying or do they look for proof of purchase? (It’s not like I got the charged jnstalled for no reason!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

you need a picture of the car with the charger & copy of the log book to claim the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I went to test an MGZS and quite liked it. I haven't bought a new car before but was surprised that the 32/33k quoted online for the base model was actually 38,200 or so when delivery, metallic paint and some other extra fabric pack factored in. Felt a bit sneaky but could be the same with all dealers I assume.

I could cut the fabric thing for a few hundred off that price but presume metallic paint is a must? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being ripped off with that offer price.

Edit to add they said the price had gone up by a 1000 quid but the website hadn't been updated which again seemed a bit sneaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Had a similar experience back in November, the actual drive away price has a few add ons, so your not getting ripped off. With all the add ons, and a poor trade in on our car, the cost of change for our Ioniq 5 was only 2k more or so.

The base model is at the 33k mark, but at 38k you were likely looking at the price for the top spec 36.5k one.

They all add dealer delivery and costs (about a grand is normal across the industry). Paint is extra, white is free, black, blue and silver are 700 extra while red is 900 I think.

I booked mine at the original price in Dec which was 35k, then 1600 got added for black and dealer costs. So €36,600 "on the road"

Free charger is worth €600 though.

I got a decent trade in offer. 15k for my 2015 outlander. So it's about 21k to upgrade. Considering the outlander was essentially free thanks to the huge savings over the A4 I had. I just used the money I would have burnt up in petrol costs to pay off the 16k car loan in 3.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭farrells

You read my mind. stop smaller items from falling out as well. From the looks of it I would say the sides are solid enough so it wouldnt look to be a difficult job. Put some hinges on the back and cut some perspex to the same shape and off you go. It might also be possible that the bonnet may seal the top as well, wont really know until I get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭baldshin

I've got one of these from this seller for my Ioniq and find it great. No issues with dust/dirt getting in so must be fairly well engineered to be protected by the bonnet. Should be the same with the ZS.

If you already agreed a price and put deposit on car in December, can the price still go up by the time you are purchasing?

Also , anybody think we could be waiting until after the targeted date of July for delivery?

No price increase if you had ordered, the increase is only for new orders going forward.

Very likely it could get pushed. I ordered specifically as they said they had 3 cars coming in march. That's why I picked black (it was a choice of black or white). I really liked the silver, if I'd known i'd be waiting any way I might have ordered the silver.

My order was pushed back to May/June, a friend of mine that ordered a few weeks later initially had April date and that is now Aug/September.

But the MG system is not great. If the dealer looks at it and the car is not on the boat it will just show a date 3-4 months away. But if they look a week later that date will have shifted a week. It's a default setting.

They have two transporter boats coming on stream over the month or two so will be able to ship thousands in batches and hopefully that catches them up.

Apparently the cars are all built and parked outside the factory waiting for a chip.

When I ordered I was originally told feb, then March and then June or July. I’m prob in same batch as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Chinese aren't known for a culture of transparency, could be any date when it comes to delivery

Strange comment, considering the amount of consumer products produced in China and very rarely leading to delays in supply. All suppliers are having issues and slippages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes but likes of Apple while manufactured in China ,are American owned

MG fully Chinese state owned ,information perhaps more likely to be sketchy?

A good "living with an EV" video from done deal. Featuring the ZS.

He doesn't have a charger at home so does visit an ionity once, just to test the charging scenario, but clearly calls out it's a luxury option and normal charging or charging at home is much better value.

But it's another thumbs up from an Irish reviewer. That's EV Ireland, Nobby, and done deal who are all very impressed with the ZS.

If they could just get them on the boat now I'd be delighted. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nope, my charger is installed, grant expires on the 31st. Car isn’t here yet. I emailed asking for an extension. They said it’s not possible to get one. However I could send in the documents with a letter from. The dealer confirming the delay.

• Advertisement

Ha, ya, I'm so excited about getting the ZS I open the brochure about once a week to have a read....only 6 months to go?

I'm at the point where I'm tracking ships leaving Shanghai 🤣.

Be sure to let us know on here if you see anything positive?!

Viking adventure dropped a bunch in Bristol alright this week so they are arriving slowly. Reports of them being delivered around the UK at the moment.

I'm not sure if ours will be sent on one big boat and be dropping them off in Dublin. Or if they will come off in the UK and be sent over on the ferry.

Wait, are you talking about the grant for the charger in the house? When does it expire?

It only lasts 6 months, but it was extended for many till the 31st March. I naively applied when i ordered in June thinking I’d have the car in August..

I got the charger in January thinking I’d have the car in feb or March. So have I got till 6 months after it was installed or is the entire grant up on March 31st?

You have 6 months from when you got approved from the grant. When did you apply for the grant ?

I haven’t actually applied for the grant. When I went to the website it was asking for car details and proof of purchase so I presumed I just wait until I actually bought the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 kermi2009

I asked the dealer if the boats coming into Bristol might have Irish cars, but he said no. Reckons they'd have to pay extra brexit tax on the Irish cars if they did.

Do we get 2022 short range zs evs here? They seem to be more plentiful in UK than the long range

Advertisement