Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Walnut-Maple Buns from "Dessert Person"

Made them for my son's birthday on his request. Utterly delicious with hints of orange and cardamom. Will definitely make them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A bit late in the evening for another espresso, but I am tempted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Flapjacks.

To shift some half used Christmas Dried Fruit packages that will sit in the press for........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sticking to sugar-free and easy : peanut butter puff pastry knots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! made her first Battenberg cake at the weekend. Not a precision bake but delicious all the same. 😋

They look gorgeous! Could you share the recipe please?

Sure, but it's not much of one. They're really, really simple.

You'll needs :

1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry

150 - 200g crunchy peanut butter (I used ca 4 tbsps, so I'm guessing the weight)

100g xylitol, powdered (if you don't need to worry about sugar, you could use icing sugar)

handful of chocolate chips

1 egg

Mix the xylitol with the peanut butter. I had to add a bit of water, too, you want a spreadable, thick paste.

Roll out the puff pastry. If you bought a rolled out sheet, roll it out a bit more to made it more of a square than a rectangle.

Spread the peanut butter mixture onto half of the pastry, then fold the other half over. Press down or give it another roll with the pin to flatten it all down a bit more. Then cut the pastry into 12 strips, from the fold down.

Next, slice each strip into two until just before the fold, but leave it together at the fold. Twist the strip and form it into a ring or know. Place on a baking tray or in a muffin tin and brush with some egg wash. Bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes. Let them cool down and dust with a little more powdered xylitol or icing sugar.

Thank you! I love peanut butter, but it never occurred to me to make a (kind of) Danish pastry with it.

I have puff pastry on my shopping list now 😋

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Made this the other week and completely forgot to post it. I used the NordicWare celebration set, so it's a 4", 6", and 8" set of cakes.

Top layer is (experimental) lime and coconut (drizzled with lime and malibu syrup, coconut cream added to the buttercream)

Middle is devil's food cake with swiss chocolate buttercream

Bottom is lemon (lemon drizzle of course, lemon juice beat into the buttercream)

Store bought fondant, painted with alcohol'd down gel colours. More of the plain swiss buttercream with plenty of gel colours in. Now to figure out what to do with 1kg of leftover fondant as I don't intend to hit the registry office again w/i its shelf life...

Wow! Great cake.

Congratulations BTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

@Tree the cookies look good too hmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I keep dough blobs in the freezer so they're always to hand (and quick to run up in advance of a party, like the frozen gougere dough that also didn't last long enough to photograph...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭donnacha

Blackcurrant pies

Mrs G! made Chocolate Orange Tart this afternoon. Recipe called for dark chocolate but because of the kids, she used milk.

I think we’ll call it Upside Down Cake 🙄

I saw a quick video on how to make this on instagram and figured why not? I substituted the sugar for xylitol, which worked really well. But my first attempt at the choux pastry failed at the last hurdle - it collapsed completely while cooling down. But I'm nothing if not stubborn, went out for more supplies and tried again - and that one turned out rather well.

The thing's called a Paris-Brest 😅

what's in this essentially? looks fab.. love anything with almonds..

For the Choux pastry, it's :

100ml water

100ml milk

120g flour

4 eggs

pinch of sugar

Flaked almonds

For the filling :

500ml of milk

150g sugar or xylitol

2 eggs

60g of cornflour

Vanilla essence

Making the choux pastry: Bring the milk, water, sugar and butter to the boil then incorporate the flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, work the paste over a medium heat until it is quite dry and coming away from the edges of the pan. Once the paste has cooled down, add the eggs one by one whilst continuously whisking. Scoop into a piping bag, and pipe two rings onto a sheet lined with baking paper, then pipe a third ring on top. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.

Bake at 180 for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 160 and bake for another 25 minutes. Leave to cool completely.

To make the filling, mix all the ingredients in a pot, bring to the boil while stirring continuously. Once it thickens, take off the heat and let cool down a bit.

Slice the ring down the middle using a serrated knife. Pipe the filling onto the bottom, then carefully lift the top on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I haven't made brownies in a long long time (like, "the before time") but decided I wanted them for Valentine's day!

There's a particular brand of chocolate from Lidl that I always use for baking, but found it difficult to get to a Lidl this weekend because our car unexpectedly died 🙄 Luckily I had plans in town and realised the bus stopped near a Lidl. Success!

I have a tendency to overbake brownies, but they turned out perfectly this time, if I do say so myself! Just the right amount of fudgy gooeyness, with some chopped walnuts to add a little texture 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi they look amazing!

What pastry recipe did you use please, I can never my pies to look that good.

• Advertisement

Pastry was 2:1 plain flour to butter (400g:200g) + 4 tablespoons caster sugar. Mix flour and sugar in bowl. Cube the cold butter, rub in with fingers to breadcrumb consistency. Add 4 tablespoons iced water and mix with blunt knife. then bring together and knead briefly until smooth. Flatten, wrap in clingfilm and put in fridge for 30 mins.

Been threatening for ages to get a rye starter on the go and attempt a sourdough as the family love it but its outrageously priced in the shops. Bit of time and patience required to build up the starter but the result was worth it. I followed the guide at riotrye.ie if anyone is curious.

@woodchuck they look fab - I want.

Lol thanks! I don't bake as much as I used to - it's hard to justify baking a whole tray of brownies when you're working from home and don't have work colleagues to share them with 🙈 I've frozen a good few though to keep them fresh, so I'll be giving some to the parents and inlaws when I see them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Brioche again. A much smoother result by forming the dough immediately and letting them rise, rather than letting the dough rise, forming and then letting rise again. Also takes less time.

A sugar-free orange an coconut cake. Humble, but nice and tasty nonetheless 😄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 541 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

A focaccia with braised red cabbage and apple, black olives , courgette, onion, oregano and chia seeds. Oh and a piece of orange pepper

I had to stare at it for a moment before I saw it - that's really artistic, I love it! Did it taste as beautiful as it looks?

Yeah it came out pretty good. Used some rye flour in the mix and it was really tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Made a Victoria Sandwich for Mothers Day :-)

@leahyl - that cake screams Mother's Day.. hmmm

• Advertisement

Made another batch of fudge this evening (as a gift for a friend - any excuse!). I decide to try coating some of them in chocolate this time. I made a real attempt at tempering the chocolate, but I don't think it worked 🙈 It snuck back above 30C at the final reheat phase. But sure fcuk it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oh and I normally use golden caster sugar, but could NOT find it in the shops! I tried 2 Tescos (they normally have it), Lidl and SuperValu. After doing a lot of research online, I decided that golden granulated sugar sounded like the best substitute. I'm happy to report that it worked! It's the second substitute I've had to make to this recipe, but somehow it still keeps working for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That fudge looks amazing - would you post the recipe?

No problem, this is the original recipe:

But I've had to make the following substitutions, so it's barely the original recipe anymore 🙈

- Honey instead of glucose liquid

- Golden granulated sugar instead of golden caster sugar (I was worried the bigger granules would effect the crystalisation, but I just made sure to give it plenty of time to dissolve fully before whacking up the heat)

- Vanilla extract instead of vanilla paste/pods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Baybay

Hmm. Not sure why these are sideways or how to fix them but it’s a Barra Brith. A Welsh fruit cake/bread that’s delicious with salty butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Thanks for that - will definitely make that over Easter.

@Baybay that looks and sounds absolutely delicious hmmmmmmm - like my Mum's baking - can almost smell it

Cheese, artichoke and za’atar focaccia

Spiced carrot cake traybake.

Coffee.

Why do my sponges come out "not flat", well, not exactly flat. "Google says"....give the batter a good few taps on the counter before it goes in to the oven to dispel air bubbles. Which I don't do. Should I?

Yeah.....no Walnuts so it's Brazil nuts this time 😘

What sort of tins are you using? Is your oven hotter than you think? Have you tried putting strips of foil/magic baking strips around the side of your baking tin?

Doming is usually cause the edges bake faster and shrink a bit, pushing the middle of the batter up which then bakes in that raised position. Of course, you can always flatten them with a knife and test the scraps to make sure it's not poison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

I am baking a long time and I have never tapped the tins on the counter before going into oven. As for flat sponges what recipe and more importantly what size mix to tin size? An awful lot of 'flat' cakes are the result of not enough mix in the tin and expecting miraculous rises, cakes do not rise as much as you think they will! If the texture is ok then the cake is made correctly, if it's not tall enough make a bigger mix.

Edit: Ah I misread your complaint! It's not that they are flat as such, it's that you want them flatter rather than rounded. Baking strips are great for that or lower the oven temp, the slower they rise at lower temp the greater chance for the middle to rise before the sides set from contact with the hot metal. The baking strips work in similar way in protecting sides of tin from full force of heat which slows down the sides setting as once set they can't rise further so forces centre up. Recipe also plays a part, the higher the flour esp self raising content as you can't control the raising agent the more likely to dome.

Post edited by phormium on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Trick of the trade (sort of) - when you take the cake out of the tin, turn it upside down on a flat surface and leave it to rest for a while.

Prestige Inspire 8 and a half inch (22cm)

Odlums Recipe. 160c with fan for 30 minutes. 180c without fan as in recipe so I put the fan on thinking that it'd cook more evenly.

Never heard of baking strips 😀 but just saw them now on Amazon. Won't be buying I don't reckon, eh, I might....I'll look into it. 🧐

Might bake lower for longer as advised. First world problem......might just leave it.

Thanks for the advice though 😉

(PS. That didn't take long......2 baking strips ordered 😁)

I'm too late so as you could have bought them in Mr Price 😁

Mr Price?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There are quite a few videos showing how to make your own very cheaply on YouTube.

Maybe you don't have a Mr Price near you, there are a fair few stores, 60 I believe practically nationwide, great range of random stuff but a particularly good selection of baking/cake decorating things at extremely reasonable prices, some of the big brands too Cake Boss & PME plus others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Had some SR flour to use up. I am useless at cakes and all that. Made some 3 ingredient lemonade scones. Well I was so chuffed, they were gorgeous, and all were scoffed by the hungry horaces within the hour.

Recipe online, the Oz one. I had a drop of Madagascan vanilla extract so that was the only extra ingredient. I made the dough into a rectangle and cut "squares" instead of rounds. No waste whatsoever. Can recommend these for any other baking gobdaws out there like myself.

https://www.recipetineats.com/lemonade-scones/

• Advertisement

Advertisement