Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

blacklilly wrote: »
    I wish I never came across this thread! Everything looks delicious.

Haven't baked in years. Going to have a go at brown bread and banana bread this weekend. If anyone has a particularly nice recipe for either that would be really helpful

This is the banana bread recipe I use. It just happens to be gluten and refined sugar free as well, so it's pretty much a health food. :D

http://www.niamhbrowne.com/recipeblog/2016/4/19/chocolate-walnut-banana-bread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I also use an odlums recipe for my banana bread:
    https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/banana-and-walnut-bread/

I've done it a few times and it always turns out really well. I only have small loaf tins though, so this recipe makes 4 small banana breads that I cook for less time.

Odlums generally have really good, easy to follow recipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Diabolik

This thread is heaven!

I have developed a craving for Madeira now!
    I hope I'll make some over the weekend, I saw a recipe in the mentioned Odlums website (another place of perdition!!!), but if anyone has a tried and tested option, especially for a pound cake, I would be extremely grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This is going to sound weird but I finally made banana bread that tastes properly banana-y. I always enjoyed it before but was always disappointed that I could never discern a banana taste. But I just figured that maybe the banana just makes the cake more moist and acts like sugar. But I realised that another issue I had with banana bread recipes I’d followed was that the finished product was often a bit too sweet. I thought the two things might be related.

So I made banana bread yesterday using this recipe: https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/ginger-banana-bread/. I wanted a recipe that didn’t require creaming of the butter and sugar so that I could experiment with reducing the sugar. The recipes lists 200g of muscovado sugar. I used 175g of caster sugar because it was what I had. And it worked! The cake isn’t too sweet and I can actually taste the banana.

The recipe is for banana and ginger cake. I put in two teaspoons of ground ginger instead of the one teaspoon listed in the recipe but I can’t discern a gingery taste. It’s grand, the cake is still delicious. But can anyone recommend a good spicy ginger powder?

Oh, here’s the cake. It’s browner than it’s supposed to be, but I kinda like that!

73-C3-FEE0-BFB4-43-D0-B40-F-61302-F9-E5883.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Keeping with the banana bread theme, I decided to use a Cookie and Kate recipe and very happy with how it turned out. I used wholemeal flour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The recipe is for banana and ginger cake. I put in two teaspoons of ground ginger instead of the one teaspoon listed in the recipe but I can’t discern a gingery taste. It’s grand, the cake is still delicious. But can anyone recommend a good spicy ginger powder?

Maybe add a tiny bit of fresh ginger?

New Home wrote: »
    Maybe add a tiny bit of fresh ginger?

I find fresh ginger a bit woody. Is there a way to extract flavour from it, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I find fresh ginger a bit woody. Is there a way to extract flavour from it, I wonder?

Just finely grate it (a microplane grater is ideal) - you don't even need to peel it.
    You could also chop in a few bits of crystallised ginger, or a couple of pieces of preserved stem ginger (the syrup it comes in would be lovely lightly drizzled over the cake while it's still warm).
    If your ground ginger isn't flavoursome, it could just be old - I find ground ginger and cinnamon only keep fresh for about 6 months, if that, so they're best bought in small quantities.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or you could grate it, stick it in a gauze or a muslin, squeeze the juice out and use that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Made Gateau Diane for a party in friends today. Of all the things I’ve ever baked this is the most consistently requested one. Not the best looking dessert but it tastes divine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Does anyone have a banana bread recipe that doesn't really taste like banana? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a banana bread recipe that doesn't really taste like banana? :o

Might be better off with a Madeira sponge in this case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Made a devils food cake at the weekend. The cake was probably still a little bit warm when I went to ice it but it was late and I wanted to go to bed. :(
    This was amazing though. Cake was nice and soft and melt in the mouth fluffy and the icing with the bitter dark choc was a perfect contrast to the sweetness of the cake.
    Next time I'll make another 50% of icing I think so I can put a little more between the layers.

Screenshot-2019-09-11-at-20-50-54.png

It was literally 10 years + since I last made a layer cake. Had forgotten how easy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is going to sound weird but I finally made banana bread that tastes properly banana-y. I always enjoyed it before but was always disappointed that I could never discern a banana taste. But I just figured that maybe the banana just makes the cake more moist and acts like sugar. But I realised that another issue I had with banana bread recipes I’d followed was that the finished product was often a bit too sweet. I thought the two things might be related.

So I made banana bread yesterday using this recipe: https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/ginger-banana-bread/. I wanted a recipe that didn’t require creaming of the butter and sugar so that I could experiment with reducing the sugar. The recipes lists 200g of muscovado sugar. I used 175g of caster sugar because it was what I had. And it worked! The cake isn’t too sweet and I can actually taste the banana.

Oh, here’s the cake. It’s browner than it’s supposed to be, but I kinda like that!

73-C3-FEE0-BFB4-43-D0-B40-F-61302-F9-E5883.jpg

That looks great! I made a banana loaf on Sunday from an odlums recipe too but it was a bit dry - maybe that's cos it was a loaf, so more like a bread? it called for walnuts too but I'm not a fan so I put pecans in instead.

Yours looks yummy so must try that recipe. Usually any odlums recipes I try are fairly good, so maybe it was me :(:pac:

It was literally 10 years + since I last made a layer cake. Had forgotten how easy they are.

I make layer cakes a lot and they look SO much more impressive and difficult to make than they actually are. That frosting/icing looks amazing, so rich.

leahyl wrote: »
    That looks great! I made a banana loaf on Sunday from an odlums recipe too but it was a bit dry - maybe that's cos it was a loaf, so more like a bread? it called for walnuts too but I'm not a fan so I put pecans in instead.

Yours looks yummy so must try that recipe. Usually any odlums recipes I try are fairly good, so maybe it was me :(:pac:

Yeah, I looked at a good few recipes and the amount of butter to be added varied greatly from recipe to recipe. The one I made was on the higher end, butter-wise. I think the reason is partly that a lot of banana bread recipes are aiming for healthy so they aggressively try to cut down the calorie load. Or there’s this assumption that the moisture in the banana means that you need little or no butter.

Mine was definitely a cake rather than a bread. I’ve toyed with the idea of making wholemeal banana bread but I fear exactly what you describe - the dreaded dryness. I’d recommend the recipe. It was really easy, just dump everything in the bowl, basically. The 175g of sugar was plenty too as opposed to the 200g listed in the recipe.

Also, pecans? YUMMY. I love them. I’m trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

leahyl wrote: »

AAl, and I mean ALL my my banana breads have been too wet, and take far longer to bake than recommended in the recipe. Don't know why. Any ideas?

S’mores cupcakes :)

490985.jpeg

Buttery biscuity base like in a cheese cake.
    Chocolate sponge
    Homemade salted caramel filling
    Toasted homemade marshmallow topping
    Dark chocolate ganache drizzle

I spread the baking over two evenings as there’s a lot of different stages but it was SO worth it. This is the best bake I’ve made in ages. Which is good because I’ve made 24 of them :D

It’s all from 2 Cupcake Jemma recipes, I’ve made 4 or 5 of her recipes now and all of them have been great. I really like how each recipe makes exactly as much as you need and no more. If it says it makes 12 then that’s what you get, no leftovers! I find a lot of America recipes the sponge part will make twelve but the frosting part will make enough to cover 100 cakes which is so wasteful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've always wanted to make them from her recipe. They look fab.

I've always wanted to make them from her recipe. They look fab.

Yeah I think they’d be right up your baking street! The marshmallow in particular is a really great recipe. I’m already trying to think of other things to use it on! I need to get more use out of my torch anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mmmmm, those look amazing!

Whipped up some chocolate cupcakes with lemon icing (and lemon curd core), and also cookies!

491028.PNG

491029.PNG

491030.PNG

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I made these for a birthday celebration today, they went down well.

Lemon cheesecake,

Cheese cake topped with salted caramel,

Red velvet cupcakes (they’re supposed to look like flowers in a big cup),

Crushed meringue with fresh cream, sauce and strawberries/maltesers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Forgot to share, but had plenty of leftover icing from the cupcakes above so made a chocolate cake. Need to get much better at the decoration side of cakes (and if I had the full allotment of icing, rather than using some on cupcakes, I would have done the sides - was afraid of getting caught out!)

492607.jpg

492608.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I've been baking quite a bit lately... forgot how much I enjoy it!

Apple & Cherry Pie,
    Coffee cake
    & Lemon Slices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

First is a choc fudge raspberry cake using a recipe from this season of great british bake off. Also have started making up my own crumpets as its my Mums favourite and M&S have been failing her of late with stocks (supposedly Brexit related!)

GUHBqpJ.jpg

Il5etHQ.jpg

g78biM2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG that chocolate and raspberry cake looks unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Apple and blackberry loaf, made with the fruit from my brother's garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

*drool* at everything.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Chocolate and raspberry has to be one of the best combinations ever! Looks delicious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

phormium wrote:
    Chocolate and raspberry has to be one of the best combinations ever! Looks delicious

Agree, so underrated!

Advertisement