Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

😀

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm never sure if making fudge counts as baking, but I'm counting it :P Panic stations when I had most of the ingredients in the pot, but my glucose liquid was well past it's best before date and had some cloudy lumps in it :/ Himself was sent on a wild goose chase around the supermarkets with no luck. Was trying to find out online about a possible substitute and someone mentioned honey. So I decided I'd nothing to lose at this point and gave it a go with a spoon of honey instead. Success :D All packaged up as Christmas presents... with a few bits leftover for ourselves :P

• I would be delighted to get a jar for Christmas, looks gorgeous.

Thanks a mill! I do have other "real" presents to give too, so I don't know why I put this extra pressure on myself 😂🙈

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Recipe, please, Woodie! :)

• Advertisement

No problem:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vanilla-fudge

Like I said, I needed to substitute glucose syrup with honey this time around and it still worked well. I also used vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean paste.

I also find it sets in a few hours, if you're impatient like me and don't want to wait overnight.

I find patience is key with this one and a sugar thermometer is vital. Also, be prepared for a very tired arm by the end of it 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Christmas wreath and yule log

and shortbread mince slices

Apple crumble 🍏

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh, maaaaaan...

Ate the last of the Brioche today. I think I'll do something copletely original on new years day and make some brioche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Walnut-Maple Buns from "Dessert Person"

Made them for my son's birthday on his request. Utterly delicious with hints of orange and cardamom. Will definitely make them again.

A bit late in the evening for another espresso, but I am tempted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Flapjacks.

To shift some half used Christmas Dried Fruit packages that will sit in the press for........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Sticking to sugar-free and easy : peanut butter puff pastry knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! made her first Battenberg cake at the weekend. Not a precision bake but delicious all the same. 😋

They look gorgeous! Could you share the recipe please?

Sure, but it's not much of one. They're really, really simple.

You'll needs :

1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry

150 - 200g crunchy peanut butter (I used ca 4 tbsps, so I'm guessing the weight)

100g xylitol, powdered (if you don't need to worry about sugar, you could use icing sugar)

handful of chocolate chips

1 egg

Mix the xylitol with the peanut butter. I had to add a bit of water, too, you want a spreadable, thick paste.

Roll out the puff pastry. If you bought a rolled out sheet, roll it out a bit more to made it more of a square than a rectangle.

Spread the peanut butter mixture onto half of the pastry, then fold the other half over. Press down or give it another roll with the pin to flatten it all down a bit more. Then cut the pastry into 12 strips, from the fold down.

Next, slice each strip into two until just before the fold, but leave it together at the fold. Twist the strip and form it into a ring or know. Place on a baking tray or in a muffin tin and brush with some egg wash. Bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes. Let them cool down and dust with a little more powdered xylitol or icing sugar.

Thank you! I love peanut butter, but it never occurred to me to make a (kind of) Danish pastry with it.

I have puff pastry on my shopping list now 😋

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Made this the other week and completely forgot to post it. I used the NordicWare celebration set, so it's a 4", 6", and 8" set of cakes.

Top layer is (experimental) lime and coconut (drizzled with lime and malibu syrup, coconut cream added to the buttercream)

Middle is devil's food cake with swiss chocolate buttercream

Bottom is lemon (lemon drizzle of course, lemon juice beat into the buttercream)

Store bought fondant, painted with alcohol'd down gel colours. More of the plain swiss buttercream with plenty of gel colours in. Now to figure out what to do with 1kg of leftover fondant as I don't intend to hit the registry office again w/i its shelf life...

Wow! Great cake.

Congratulations BTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

@Tree the cookies look good too hmm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I keep dough blobs in the freezer so they're always to hand (and quick to run up in advance of a party, like the frozen gougere dough that also didn't last long enough to photograph...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Blackcurrant pies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! made Chocolate Orange Tart this afternoon. Recipe called for dark chocolate but because of the kids, she used milk.

I think we’ll call it Upside Down Cake 🙄

I saw a quick video on how to make this on instagram and figured why not? I substituted the sugar for xylitol, which worked really well. But my first attempt at the choux pastry failed at the last hurdle - it collapsed completely while cooling down. But I'm nothing if not stubborn, went out for more supplies and tried again - and that one turned out rather well.

The thing's called a Paris-Brest 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

what's in this essentially? looks fab.. love anything with almonds..

For the Choux pastry, it's :

100ml water

100ml milk

120g flour

4 eggs

pinch of sugar

Flaked almonds

For the filling :

500ml of milk

150g sugar or xylitol

2 eggs

60g of cornflour

Vanilla essence

Making the choux pastry: Bring the milk, water, sugar and butter to the boil then incorporate the flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, work the paste over a medium heat until it is quite dry and coming away from the edges of the pan. Once the paste has cooled down, add the eggs one by one whilst continuously whisking. Scoop into a piping bag, and pipe two rings onto a sheet lined with baking paper, then pipe a third ring on top. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.

Bake at 180 for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 160 and bake for another 25 minutes. Leave to cool completely.

To make the filling, mix all the ingredients in a pot, bring to the boil while stirring continuously. Once it thickens, take off the heat and let cool down a bit.

Slice the ring down the middle using a serrated knife. Pipe the filling onto the bottom, then carefully lift the top on again.

I haven't made brownies in a long long time (like, "the before time") but decided I wanted them for Valentine's day!

There's a particular brand of chocolate from Lidl that I always use for baking, but found it difficult to get to a Lidl this weekend because our car unexpectedly died 🙄 Luckily I had plans in town and realised the bus stopped near a Lidl. Success!

I have a tendency to overbake brownies, but they turned out perfectly this time, if I do say so myself! Just the right amount of fudgy gooeyness, with some chopped walnuts to add a little texture 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi they look amazing!

What pastry recipe did you use please, I can never my pies to look that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Pastry was 2:1 plain flour to butter (400g:200g) + 4 tablespoons caster sugar. Mix flour and sugar in bowl. Cube the cold butter, rub in with fingers to breadcrumb consistency. Add 4 tablespoons iced water and mix with blunt knife. then bring together and knead briefly until smooth. Flatten, wrap in clingfilm and put in fridge for 30 mins.

Advertisement