Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Rolo cookie bars.
    Will definitely be making again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My littlest’s graduation cake

Chilli brownies. Bit overcooked but good flavour from a teaspoon of chilli powder added to a brownie recipe.

Also felt like a good idea with the heat! Curious what work will make of them tomorrow (or if I will be excommunicated)

IMG-20190627-WA0013-600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Made lemon cupcakes with a lemon curd core for the mother's birthday. Some mishaps along the way but happy with how they turned out in the end.

485572.jpg

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Baby Cheesecakes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Peanut butter stuffed brownies. I did these for a baking challenge on Instagram but I couldn't get decent pics :( So ended up just piling them on a plate to put up here :D
    I probably could have done with leaving them overnight before cutting them but wanted to get photos in daylight then they turned out crap anyway.
    Will bake again next weekend, went down well with the people who actually like peanut butter in work today. Also made fudge stuffed blondies but overcooked them because I didn't want to miss the end of the 5000m race at the european under 20s by running to the oven. :pac:

IMG-7025.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nutella* stuffed brownies. Same recipe as above with chocolate rather than peanut butter. These are ridiculously delicious. I tend to make my brownies intensely dark and rich. The layer of sweet chocolate gooeyness against the rich dark choc flavour works really well.

Screenshot-2019-07-28-at-22-26-55.png

*I hate nutella and this is actually SuperValu Hazelnut spread but Hazelnut Spread stuffed brownies doesn't quite have the same ring to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

FiDZP0j.png

Vegan orange cupcakes for my mother's birthday!

I'm not much of a baker but I'm really happy with how these came out - the piping's a bit mad because the orange zest in the 'buttercream' clogged up the nozzle horribly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nutella* stuffed brownies. Same recipe as above with chocolate rather than peanut butter. These are ridiculously delicious. I tend to make my brownies intensely dark and rich. The layer of sweet chocolate gooeyness against the rich dark choc flavour works really well.

Screenshot-2019-07-28-at-22-26-55.png

*I hate nutella and this is actually SuperValu Hazelnut spread but Hazelnut Spread stuffed brownies doesn't quite have the same ring to it :D

They look fantastic btw. I'm hungry now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Does anyone have any tasty sugar free bun/cake/tray bake recipes?! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Teeley wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tasty sugar free bun/cake/tray bake recipes?! Thanks.

When you say sugar free do you mean using artificial sweetener in place of sugar, or do you mean "no added sugar" like using fruit etc instead of refined sugar, or something using maple syrup or honey in place of sugar?

dee_mc wrote: »
    When you say sugar free do you mean using artificial sweetener in place of sugar, or do you mean "no added sugar" like using fruit etc instead of refined sugar, or something using maple syrup or honey in place of sugar?

Thanks for your reply..I'm looking for recipes with fruit, honey or maple syrup instead of refined sugar. I don't want to use artificial sweeteners.

I make a nice flapjack that’s sugar and gluten free - I use honey and maple syrup. Sadly, it’s not calorie free

I make a nice flapjack that’s sugar and gluten free - I use honey and maple syrup. Sadly, it’s not calorie free

Calories are not an issue..just trying to cut out sugar in my family’s diet! Would love the recipe please.

Calories are not an issue..just trying to cut out sugar in my family’s diet! Would love the recipe please.

My kids love these!

200 g unsalted butter
    125ml honey
    125ml maple syrup
    150 g chopped dates
    400 g porridge oats
    100 g pumpkin seeds

Melt butter, honey and maple syrup
    Add all other ingredients
    Press into a square tin - make sure to really press it in so it keeps its shape

Bake for 25mins at 180degrees

Leave in tin to cool - I normally put in the fridge before I cut into squares

My kids love these!

200 g unsalted butter
    125ml honey
    125ml maple syrup
    150 g chopped dates
    400 g porridge oats
    100 g pumpkin seeds

Melt butter, honey and maple syrup
    Add all other ingredients
    Press into a square tin - make sure to really press it in so it keeps its shape

Bake for 25mins at 180degrees

Leave in tin to cool - I normally put in the fridge before I cut into squares

I normally double up the recipe and get about 60 slices out of it - they keep so well in the fridge

I normally double up the recipe and get about 60 slices out of it - they keep so well in the fridge

They sound delicious!..thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They sound delicious!..thank you.

Just in case you got the wrong end of the stick there, as you said you are trying to remove sugar from diets. Honey and maple syrup are both sugars...

pwurple wrote: »
    Just in case you got the wrong end of the stick there, as you said you are trying to remove sugar from diets. Honey and maple syrup are both sugars...

Natural sugars - they would be considered “sugar free” for baking purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

My wedding cake!

Small tier was lemon filled with cream cheese frosting and lemon curd, medium was carrot cake and large was red velvet, both filled with cream cheese frosting. All covered with Swiss meringue buttercream.

The chocolate one was gluten free, filled with cream cheese frosting and covered with chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Toulouse wrote: »
    My wedding cake!

Small tier was lemon filled with cream cheese frosting and lemon curd, medium was carrot cake and large was red velvet, both filled with cream cheese frosting. All covered with Swiss meringue buttercream.

The chocolate one was gluten free, filled with cream cheese frosting and covered with chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream.

It's fabulous - and huge congratulations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Wow, serious skill in those cakes especially with the piping. Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

beautiful cakes! and Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont suppose anyone here has Aldis Ambiano stand mixer. Its coming up again on Sunday for €60 and was thinking of buying. Though the description says "Operation time of 4 mins approx". Im not sure if that refers to full speed or just any speed but would it be enough to knead pizza dough, whip cream, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont suppose anyone here has Aldis Ambiano stand mixer. Its coming up again on Sunday for €60 and was thinking of buying. Though the description says "Operation time of 4 mins approx". Im not sure if that refers to full speed or just any speed but would it be enough to knead pizza dough, whip cream, etc?

Bought an Aldi Stand Mixer a good few years ago. Not sure if it’s the same model. I use it for dough kneading. The stand isn’t strong enough to handle dough so I use it by hand. The dough attachments are a bit loose but do the job. Mrs G! uses the stand for whipping cream and cake mixtures no problem.

So for a fraction of the cost of a Kenwood or Kitchen Aid it does what’s needed - just!

How do you mean you do dough by hand ? Like you start in the stand mixer first but then have to finish it by kneading on a counter top? Im trying to get away from kneading, it would be the main reason Id buy it but would want something that kneads it start to finish

I meant that my mixer is detachable from the stand and you can use it by hand but I’ve just seen a picture of the mixer you are looking at and it doesn’t look like that is an option.

It does however, come with a three year warranty so keep the receipt and any problems, just send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I looked up a few reviews of the standard aldi stand mixer and it does sound like it can cope with bread dough, as long as it's not a very heavy/dense dough. There's a dough hook included, so they can hardly claim its not designed for kneading. I'd say at 60 quid it's worth trying out, if it's not up to the job you can always return it.

Yeah I'm going to grab one on Sunday. I cant justify spending €300+ on a Kenwood or Kitchen Aid as Id only use it occasionally so this for €60 should fit the bill. Have read a few reviews of it online and they're mainly quite positive.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to grab one on Sunday. I cant justify spending €300+ on a Kenwood or Kitchen Aid as Id only use it occasionally so this for €60 should fit the bill. Have read a few reviews of it online and they're mainly quite positive.

Let us know how it goes please, especially the kneading dough bit. :P

Advertisement