Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get my money back from a (wealthy) friend.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Softly softly will never work with a using prat like this I'm afraid. You will have to face him

down in person, more than likely repeatedly so .

At least the text is some kind of reminder to him but that’s all it is.

Thanks for the update OP- I wouldn’t waste my time checking the bank balance- it simply won’t be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I'd forget about the money, that's the price it will cost you to never have to deal with him again! Might be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Like the poster said above, it might be tenosynovitis of getting rid of that person out of your life.

It's also a pretty good lesson in peer pressure for anyone reading. The bit that stood out in particular from your OP is this

he turned to me and said "would you mind lending me 400? " It was quite awkward, all 3 of them were looking at me.

In truth, they might have looked at you because the friend was asking you to get the money, but none of the builders had any expectation that you would actually pay them. That was simply peer pressure created by your friend.

There's a funny psychological trick which says the best way to get someone to do you a big favour is to ask them to do a small favour. Once you do the small favour, you psychologically justify doing more favours. That really appears to have happened in this case whether by accident or design.

Best of luck getting the money back, I genuinely hope you get it back. Be persistent and don't give up unless you're happy to write it off and learn the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

This all reads like a wind up to me.

• Advertisement

Thought had passed my mind too for the incredible naivety of it all (if true)

OP,

As suspected, he's not wealthy and is in need of money - hence room share. That doesn't lessen your case, just puts it into context. Either he's living beyond his means or has a gambling addiction or other vice. He may also have exaggerated his income so you'd feel at ease lending him money.

Good to confirm friendship status (or lack thereof) is accepted. Unfortunately, texting isn't going to solve it. You'll need to go to his house and ask him face to face.

I'd not bring heavies with you (luckily, considering your back up 😄 ) Maybe a local boardie would volunteer for €100 (once the €500 was received).

If you can't get his attention and he doesn't answer his door I'd send him a text along the lines of...

'Can't seem to catch you. Is something wrong - I can talk to your parents to see if they need to talk to you. Call me and we can work it out.'

You said, you know his parents. You COULD talk to them, 'bit worried about your son. I lent him some money and he's not returned my calls. I'm worried about him.'

And, not inconceivable the miscreant is reading this. PAY THE OP YOU BUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Texts not working. Call to the front door is next. After knocking i'd be entering without waiting for it to be answered also, if unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

That's all what I am going to do next. On Sunday I will call over to his house. Depends on the interaction (or its lack of), I will send the exact text message you mentioned above. Then on Tuesday I will head on to his parents and tell them how "worried" I am about their son.

An old lawyer I knew years ago told me to always try to build up some history, some event timeline so if it comes to the adjudication, the judge could see that I have exhausted all avenues and met with a complete lack of willingness from the other party to engage and find a solution.

If needed, I will place an add for some big guy(s) to accompany me to his house, but without doing anything bad, just to visually boost my chances.

I would love to do that but that will guarantee me trespass charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This lad sounds a right prick. Always amazes me that there are people who carry on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Any idea who the workers were in his house who you gave the 400quid to?

If it goes to any court be handy to have them on your side as a witness say "yes it was a loan not it was not a gift."

My "friend" told me he found them on Adverts and said they advertised something like "James Dream Team". He was laughing at the name and it stuck with me so I tracked that add before Christmas and i have contact number to them now. Brilliant. "James" himself might not be one of the roofers because they were 2 foreign workers but I am sure he might have a record of who he sent to this address on a specific day, what work was done and how much they agreed (€900).

Post edited by Curious1002 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What's it got to do with his parents? Nonsense idea, unless your both 10 years old. Go to the house, tell him in person you need the money, you tried to be nice about it, now you need it straight away. That's it, simple as that.

Any excuses from him, just walk away. If he's an actual friend he will reach out straight away. If not, then it's not worth your time and effort, write him off and move on

Its got nothing to do with the parents. The suggestion is that the parents might be so morto that they'll cover the debt and the OP gets their money back.

Obviously the OP should try all reasonable avenues for getting the money back from the friend, but it seems pretty clear the friend doesn't plan to pay them back. After texting, phoning and calling to the house a few times, I'd say then legal route or the parents are the next beat options and I'd say the parents are the far easier option. Legal route over a €500 debt where nothing was agreed in writing (for the €400 at least) sounds like a lot of hassle compared to trying the parents.

Hmmm. Don't involve the parents. Give up easily... Hmmm...

Oh, my gawd... You're the 'friend' aren't you. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sheedy234

Why should his parents have to pay up for him , end of the day if u don't get the money off Ur ex friend that's unfortunate but his parents should not be out of pockets because you choose to lend him money. Call to him ask for your money face to face ,if that doesn't work then I would go to his work place and shame him in front of his colleges.

I wouldn't expect his parent's to pay, but the 'friend' might not want them to find out their son is not the second coming afterall - he might pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭airy fairy

If you're personally calling to the house, or have any face to face dealing with this person, please bring someone with you, to witness what's being said. Otherwise he could make up untruthful allegations against you.

I'd be in favor of calling to the parents. You don't need to ask them for money, just make them aware of what their son has done. Nice couple or not, their feelings or upset are irrelevant to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What old lawyer? Judges only care that you prove you lent the money, prove you asked for it back and prove you didn't get it. They don't want to hear your life story or any other story for that matter.

You'd sooner go to his workplace and make a scene, like a scorned crazy ex, than try the parents route?

The OP said they know the parents so it's certainly worth a shot. The time for being nice and sitting like friends, has passed. If the OP's focus is on getting their money back without breaking the law or hiring goons to frighten the friend. Trying the parents is a good route to just getting the money and never look back.

I wouldn't expect the parents to pay, but id say it's far more likely that they would cover the debt than the friend is to volunteer to pay the debt themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Think of a credible reason why you might need money. Your mother needs a new hip, your dog has swallowed a tennis ball, you found a lovely mail order bride and need to pay a deposit, it doesn't matter.

Go to his house on the 1st of the month.

Tell him story and say you need the money now and tell him you can both go to the ATM to get it. After all, he's just been paid by the bank, right?

Take no excuses, tell him you need the money now, no further delays. ATM is only up the road. Let's go.

I wouldn't get into reasons why they need the money. They just need the money back because it's a debt and it's gone on too long and needs to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Are the days of standing beside his car with a baseball bat shouting "Where's me effin money?!" raising the bat in a swinging motion towards the windscreen over then, yeah?!

(just kidding don't do that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sheedy234

His parents did not borrow the money ,he is a grown adult and they should not accountable for him . He is not talking is seriously so going to his workplace may do the job , no need to make big scene but he will see the op means business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd bet that he is a compulsive liar with a gambling problem. Guaran-f*cking-teed.

Sorry OP, the only chance you have - and it's slim anyway - of getting your money back is to be confrontational and tough about it. If that is not your psyche (and there's nothing wrong with that) then put it down as a life experience and move on. I wouldn't involve his parents as it's not their concern, and I'd consider it unfair to bring them into it. Quite possible the apple didn't fall far from the tree anyway.

There's plenty of Rambo's on here who would do f*ck all when push comes to shove so don't mind them.

so here is how it went today... and I came back home from the Garda station so you can have an idea.

I took my bike and went to Jamie's house at around 5pm. On the way I stopped and bought some food for me and hang it on the bike's steering wheel. I saw the lights on so I opened the front gate, brought my bike in through the short front yard, just in case he allows me in - then my bike would be safe. I turned on my phone audio recording and knocked on the door, once, then twice, three times and would have been knocking like that on and on until i hard his firm voice "hey, whats going on, what is it". I think he had a camera somewhere. So I said "hey it's me, I came for the money, you know, I got tired of sending you text messages and getting no response so here i am, let's chat". Silence. so I said "hey you there?" and after 30 seconds I started knocking to the door again. No voice, nothing. So I am knocking and knocking and I started to say loudly "Jamie, time to give me my money back, mate, dont play dirty with me, no games, I wont leave until i get the €500 back".

No answer, so I am banging to the door now with my fist saying, "i am not leaving, I am serious. This has gone too far, I wont leave until I see my mooo"...and the door opens, I was actually quite happy to see the door opening until i saw that he looks like a freaking mad man, goes directly at me, I take a step back with my hands in a defense mode and my back in the hedges now... he goes so close to me, all huffing and puffing around me saying "get the F out of my property, loser, out, out, OUT, now! ", he goes to my bike, takes it with my hanging bag of food, I say "hey hey, dont touch my bike" and he takes it outside the gate and tosses it on the pavement with all my food spattered on the ground now. I say - what the F is wrong with you man? give me my F-ing money back" and he goes "if i see you here again i ll call the guards you son of a $%^&" and lots of other **** stuff i cant even repeat properly.

I have never found myself in such situation before. What a total bully and he did it so smoothly, while i was like an ass, I didnt know how to face such scumbag, i seriously never had anything to do with such people before. I picked up my stuff, look at his window and he was there starring at me talking on his phone vigorously. I was sure he just called the guards. So I took my stuff and went to the guards on my way back home. I described the situation and they tell me that it's good that i wasnt charged with trespass. I asked how come and the guards say that i was on his property unannounced, uninvited and that i "clearly caused fear". They said that so far they dont have his complaint so I might be ok. They added that it's a civil matter and cant help but to stay away from him.

I played them the audio and the guards said they can't hear anything wrong Jamie did and that he was not confirming nor did he acknowledge the loan. I said that I want my lamps back and asked if they can help me to get them from him and they said it looks like a gift for them. I am like "the €400 for the roofers is a gift too" and they said that "it's possible".

Ok, so I have my answers - he is not going to pay me and I dont want to deal with him face to face anymore. When i deal with weird stuff like that and before I can think of what to do next - he does 10 things faster and more serious. I am not used to this, never had to deal with stuff like that and it seems like he knows how to scare the creditors off.

Someone said he must be gambling - yes, when we were neighbours he said had a serious gambling problem when he was younger, he said that it was like 10 years ago, that he won a lot but since then he never touched the cards again. Everything about this guy seems so weird now. but i know he works in the bank, works from home so i cant just pop in to his office because he's not there. He plays such professional figure, on the outside, attends online banking/IT events, presents on them, writes articles, he is even in a mentorship work programme and has a few staff to mentor, yet he does such **** things on the side. Jesus!

I am not sure if the next stop is the civil suit or to try his parents. Can I file a civil suit without a lawyer? If I only ask a lawyer for 1 letter - to scare Jamie that I am serious - how much would such letter cost? Can I write such letter myself and just ask some lawyer to stamp it? I am not sure how it all works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This guy is a nut job.

Solicitors letter will only go in bin. Don't waste your time.

Call it a lesson learned or get someone he won't bully to deal with him.

Advertisement