Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get my money back from a (wealthy) friend.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The OP has won me back.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Right so you reckon the OP should go into debt to let someone else continue to be in debt to the OP?

The mental gymnastics here are thrilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So the op should borrow money to fund his friends spending. Nice.

The Green Finers guy at least made a bit of an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Packrat

As an Irish man, I'm utterly shamed reading this.

His money is his money and the pathetic whataboutery here from people clearly just jealous that he has done what they couldn't is disgusting.

Its of NO relevance to this thread.

Should some thieving scumbag be entitled to do him out of €500 Just because he has saved or inherited 50k?

You guys are like wolves surrounding someone with each cur running in for a bite from the safety of numbers.

OP, we are not all like this.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

You don't think that the OP's story is a little far fetched? I certainly do.

By the way, you really should do something about feeling shamed from reading an article like this on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I posted twice in your stupid thread about eviction notices. Common theme being some brilliant solicitor appears to advise you. AS for you accusing me of posting for sport, yalk about the pot calling the kettle black!

At most he would have lost out on the paltry interest. It's not as if the bank were not going to give him access to his money if needed. Should he miss out on the paltry interest on the amount withdrawn - no, but it's not that big of a deal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Packrat

Whether it's legit or not is irrelevant to the the way the curs - Yes curs attacked.

Yes, as an Irish man, it's fairly sad to see the way some of my countrymen think it's appropriate to behave towards someone asking for help or advice.

Post edited by Packrat on

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

the OP shouldn’t have to break his term savings so someone can lounge around and enjoy their free lamps and renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Thanks for backing me up to all those who keep my hopes high. I was just telling someone that I dont know where all the negativity comes from these days, but I figured that January is probably just a bad, long, cold and dull month for everyone. I see some uplifting comments in here and I really appreciate them! They do mean a lot and make you hold on tight to your goal and not to give up. I know that vast majority of people are honest and good and swindling someone out of cash or stuff would never even cross their mind - friends or strangers. That's why I dont want to change my approach to people just because of one chancer who so far got away with cheating. But this definitely taught me a good lesson already. Friendships and money are not a good mix.

I went to the Guards last Thursday, brought 1 page long complaint and attached 2 pics of my scratched bike. Nobody spoke to me per se, they just took the document and said that when it's processed someone will get back to me. Well, better this than nothing. Someone in here wisely said that they may discover that there are a lot of similar complaints about Jamie at the Garda station already or I might be first but then if Jamie does the same thing to someone else (and I have a feeling that he might) then my complaint would add a bit of weight and credibility to the other person's case. I think the worst that people can do is to do nothing and let him get away easily. If I need to lose this money, let it be, but at least I want to make sure I have tried everything. Our common friends are really only the neighbors we once shared when he lived here, and I will ensure they know, in case Jamie reaches out to them too.

The best for last. I met with the solicitor on Friday, provided him with all the info I have, printed out my statements, text messages, provided the timeline, a bit of background, Jamie's/my address and my bank account and I was told I will have the letter ready within a week. I brought €50 but the good man refused to accept it. That's so rare these days. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Keep the pressure on and you may get somewhere with that asshole.

Some of the stuff here saying pull money out of your locked in savings is just nuts. Just screams of someone who thinks 50k is a lotto win.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

It's not unusual that people start threads for a laugh. A troll thread if you will. Given this poster's history of unlikely scenarios, I think it's appropriate to question if the thread is a genuine ask for help or if it's a troll thread. The poster may or may not be genuine, I don't know for sure but I do suspect that they aren't genuine.

If you feel ashamed that people questioned the validity of the OP's claims, well then that's on you.

And given that it's a legal discussion thread, it's typical practice in the legal field to question everything.

I anticipated and answered this already. I agree, but he's not as hard up as presented in the OP scenario as some might make out.

€50 euro for the solicitor. He broke his heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Dear All, I just wanted to give my final update on the case.

Following on sending a legal letter to my ex-friend and hearing nothing for 4 weeks, I received the following email from my "friend":

Hi,

I hope that you are keeping well.

I note your recent correspondence. I am willing to pay you €400 in weekly instalments of €100. I am not going to pay you the amount of €500

Regards,

Jamie

I replied to this email saying nothing but simply attaching my bank account details again. I already received 2 weekly installments of €100 with 2 more to come over the next 2 weeks, hopefully.

Considering the fact that I already lost any hope of getting my money back from him, the outcome comes as a great surprise even if with a cost of €100. If this is what the price is to never deal with Jamie again, then I am delighted that I got out from this mess with such small price to pay.

To all of you, supporters and those who have ridiculed me, thanks again for taking the time and dropping a line or two. A massive thanks to the solicitor again for the legal letter, which clearly did the trick. Let my unfortunate experience be a good lesson to me for the future and a warning to everyone else who happens to have a "friend in need". It's a cliché but still very true that friendship and money don't mix.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Thanks for the update OP. It's a bit bizarre though, I wonder what his logic for withholding 100 is - presumably that's the amount for the lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AK2021

I think that the scumbag Jamie thought that it's easier to defend in court that the lamps were a gift rather than the payment for the 3 roofer guys was a gift.

It's also the final word and power that he has over the OP. I think i read somewhere before that the Jamie guy is a banker - clearly a white collar criminal. Someone should look into what he does with people's money at work.

Great outcome, OP, nonetheless. Well done.

• Advertisement

Yes, well done. The solicitor's letter was free I believe.

The "friend" had damaged his rep by delaying payment, but locked it in by refusing to pay a measly €100. This guy sold his reputation very cheap.

The fictitious solicitor was given a fictitious €50. The O/P is down a fictitious €150 from lending a fictitious €500 to a fictitious friend.

Advertisement