Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get my money back from a (wealthy) friend.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Woah! I didnt realise that there are so many comments in here since Tuesday and I am glad I looked. I dont even know where to start.

It's like one person threw a stone and 50 followed. What are you doing? And why? You call me a troll? Are you serious??

Everything I posted in this thread is 100% true. Everything I posted in my last 2,3,5 threads is 100% true. In fact, I would have posted more to my last one about my best buddy being arrested for "stealing" a picture but the moderator closed the thread so I couldnt.

I am an animal rescue first responder volunteer in Dublin 6, love animals and help as much as I can. I see that somehow, very strangely, people are bothered about me trying to help a little mouse of my friend? Why? Do you think I only help dogs and cats, while everything else can be discarded? The mouse died 2 days after my post, not even a vet could help but I did my best and posted in here hoping to get a helpful response. Are you bothered about a guy who helps animals or is there another reason? Be specific and tell what exactly you hate about my past post which I started as I thought that readers could have a better and more technical knowledge about something than I did at the time.

If I was unclear about something then just ask a question but dont make laugh of how I spend my time after work and help those in needs.

Why do you ridicule my post about my friend who was in such distress that I had to keep an eye on him for 3 weeks until his charges were 100% dropped? I started the thread as I had no idea about the criminal law and hoped for some direction, which I really got. Now you make fun of it?

Are you curious about my savings? I do have them, I dont go out partying, I dont drink, I dont smoke and I am a single guy. I save every single penny I earn, I am 38 so if you think that 50K of savings at this age is huge then you are wrong. Is that funny for you too?

I am shocked to read some of the comments here. I understand that people may have different opinions about everything but throwing punches at someone who asked for advice is not the way to go. I am saddened to see that you somehow even managed to shift people views and overwhelmed those who provided me with a really superb advice. For all those who supported me from the start of this thread - thank you so much! For those who supported me but then had their doubts and stopped - Thank you for the initial support and I am sorry that the shouting group has shifted your views. For those who throw punches and ridicule me for I am not actually sure what reason - you need to stop. Someone commented here that the exact same thing happened to them when all they did was to ask a question and needed some guidance. Guys, think before you throw punches. I may not be strong in verbal or physical confrontation but it's because I was not brought up this way and Ireland is not the place that I feel 100% sure and secure.

If you want to ask me a question about something that clearly bothers you about my experience or past experiences - please ask. I hope to be able to wave your doubt or at least lower the accusatory tone. But I also learnt that if someone is set in their false opinion and get a little pat on the shoulder from others then there is nothing I can do or say that will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No he couldn't. They don't give advice on cases like this. And even before Covid waiting times were bad

when you make an appt cic do not ask what's it is about. i made an appt for someone once. CIC did not ask why the person wanted legal advice. The person went to the CIC to see the FLAC solicitor and got the advice. I do not remember what it was about. It may be different now

it was not westmeath i rang but that is what i did rang CIC. No one asked why the person wanted to see a solicitor

They write letters if they take on case. i have seen such letters .

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Your best buddy being arrested for "stealing" a picture 

Your second buddy ( Jamie ) steals €500 from you.

You need to get some new buddies.

• Advertisement

I save every single penny I earn, I am 38 so if you think that 50K of savings at this age is huge then you are wrong.

the op said you did not have any funds after your holiday and the 500 to Jaime. But you had 50K. Is it not reasonable to question that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

They don't write as solicitors. They can't write a letter before action. If a claim is accepted for Civil Legal Aid , letters are written by the assigned solicitor who has to go through AML and put their professional indemnity insurance on the line.

I have seen a letter they wrote as solicitor on behalf of someone. I am not going to argue about it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I, for one, do not believe a word of it. Sorry.

Fair point and a good question. Here is my answer - I wrote that in my text message to Jamie explaining why I need my money back. It probably wouldnt have been wise to write "Hey, Jamie, listen, I have 50K in my bank account locked for 2 years cos of the savings contract restrictions so I can't touch it. I am not really starving in here either but can you return my E500 to me when you have a chance?"

I shouldnt have to justify to him why I need my money back or list all my bills and obligations but I thought that mentioning Christmas in the text right after the festive time past would speak to him a little better as we all can probably relate to it. It didnt work with Jamie.

With that text message I must have also put some doubts in some people about the real need of my money. If a wealthy person lends somebody E50, they will have a hard time explaining why they need their money back, but in fact they dont need to try to justify it at all.

To answer the poster " 20/20" - I know it sounded this way initially but my best friend who got arrested is the best person I have known so far in Ireland. He would share his last shirt with you and feed you while starving himself. He made a mistake, he explained everything in details to the Guards, he had a good solicitor and all charges were dropped shortly after. It was one of a kind experience that I was an observer to.

Jamie, on the other hand, is a different kind of "friend".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

The bottom line is....

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

Trolls want attention, any sort of interaction at all. If you don't believe a poster don't post, the thread will die and everybody wins.

If you're wrong and the poster is genuine you have avoided making somebody's day worse.

The time I was accused of trolling, it happened when I had exhausted every resource available to me. The guards had been worse than useless, actively undermining my position, presumably because I'm not a local good-old-boy. The relevant government dept had been dismissive. Nobody I knew IRL had any connections or could help in any way. My solicitor was trying to help but, on the night I posted here looking for help, hadn't been able to make any progress. I was alone and felt simultaneously deserted and surrounded. If one person on the thread had said "That sounds bloody awful. Mind yourself," it would have been more help than they could ever know.

I was fully vindicated in the end, in fact I have a written sort-of apology from an underling in the govt dept concerned. My solicitor came through for me, but only after I was called into the office and given a stern-talking to to dissuade me from selling my house, leaving my job, moving far away and giving up the fight. I had made the decision to give up the night a mod had gleefully joined in the chorus calling me a troll.

In this case the poster is in a stressful, frustrating situation. This brings out the worst in anybody. Think for a second before becoming part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

I'd like to add that my idea of fleeing and starting a new life would have been a drastic overreaction to the situation, even if things hadn't eventually worked out in my favour. Still, this is how bad things look when you meet either blank disinterest or cheerful hostility when you ask for help.

I hear you loud and clear, HazeDoll! The moderators very often lead the shouting group and with the power to shut the thread down they often do, leaving you feeling worse, alone and hated.

I am glad to read that you got vindicated and can see things from both sides. It took me 20 minutes to read through all the spiteful comments in here and it really didnt feel good. I would never post anything hateful under anybody's thread, never.

Claw Hammer, I am not surprised. I remember you from my RTB thread - you were the one who was constantly posting negative comments, it's like you were doing this for sport. You are clearly very active and experienced on the forum, but not willing to accept opinions and beliefs that are different from your own. Thanks for sharing your negativity, buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

On HAP with savings of 50k. Nice deal.

I wanted to comment here too but I think I would be going too far with my financial disclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I said nice deal, who mentioned legalities?

No wonder the country is broke, old people can't afford to turn on the heating and the government proping up landlords by over paying on rent subsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AK2021

OP, you don't have to justify to anyone why you need your money back or explain to people how much savings you have or that you are on hap. Those who grill you over your savings are not here to provide any helpful advice. You don't owe them any explanation, just ignore them. Haters' gonna hate.

You have a good heart and we need more like you. I hope you'll get your money back soon.

Lads really I think the fairest thing here is to just lay off.

Not trying to backseat mod but in fairness this is just unnecessary at this point imo

• Advertisement

What are you babbling about?

€50k savings is hardly minted.

OP,

What bank was giving you 1.35% on 3 €5k lump sums?

3x €15k

and BOI at least were offering upwards of 1.04% interest on deposits up to €10k (granted for 7 years maturity). It’s not unimaginable the OP worked with his bank on an attractive offer - but by the end they’d reduced it to .5% according to their thread so.

edit: ^ back in 2019*

Fair point and a good question. Here is my answer - I wrote that in my text message to Jamie explaining why I need my money back. It probably wouldnt have been wise to write "Hey, Jamie, listen, I have 50K in my bank account locked for 2 years cos of the savings contract restrictions so I can't touch it. I am not really starving in here either but can you return my E500 to me when you have a chance?"

you could have told us that. the impression here was you were broke

I shouldnt have to justify to him why I need my money back or list all my bills and obligations but I thought that mentioning Christmas in the text right after the festive time past would speak to him a little better as we all can probably relate to it. It didnt work with Jamie.

With that text message I must have also put some doubts in some people about the real need of my money. If a wealthy person lends somebody E50, they will have a hard time explaining why they need their money back, but in fact they dont need to try to justify it at all.

you do not have to justify it to Jaime but you could have told us the real situation. Saying you had no money after loaning 500 but had 50k looked odd

Anyway I'm out

I think you’re missing an important details in fairness

50k in a fixed term account. The OP can’t just do a quick transfer to their current account. That money might as well not exist for all intents and purposes and it’s completely unfair to assert the OP is lying about being broke when he has money locked into a term account.

its like saying “you own a house sure you’ve loads of money”, yeah, if I sell my house. But you can’t sell your assets or break the deposit term for a post Christmas bill.

that’s the key here - €50k in a fixed term deposit account so it’s irrelevant until the term ends.

Seriously, wtf is the purpose of this post? The OP knows the exact answer. Don't you believe them?

Pro-tip... no need to express EVERY thought that comes into your head.

I didn't say op was lying. I said he could have told us that even though he didn't want to tell Jaime as he said he wanted to see m broke to Jaime

Okay but do you not also see how it’s an irrelevance?

it’s a fixed term deposit he cannot spend that money. Whether he’s to be considered broke or not is the balance of his current account.

and I have to say - in my life when I’m low on funds I’d say “ah I’m broke” with no regard to savings cos they don’t really come to mind unless it’s actually a dire situation. In fact on numerous occasions I ran into a short week during a period of waiting for a fixed term account to mature & it was of no use to me. I had money, technically, but it wasn’t money I could spend right now so I was for all intents & purposes broke.

just playing devils advocate here I guess.

Op, just turn up at his gaff and blast him with piss through his letterbox.

• Advertisement

Okay but do you not also see how it’s an irrelevance?

no i don't. being broke with 50 k even if you cannot access it is not the same as being broke with no money. you could borrow against it somehow.

any way i am out of this thread

Advertisement