Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It's actually been very interesting over the course of the pandemic to look at the way different states have handled the response, and how it has frequently comported with what's known about their "big picture" history. From the places that refused to lockdown to the places that did so to an extreme and with half their population acting prison guards, the places that absolutely refused any notion of vaccine mandates and those that look set to implement them still, the places that went along with what other countries did and the places that were willing to strike out on their own, following the advice of their own health experts even when they differed from the "consensus" narrative.

The echoes of the not-too-distant past and the way countries seem to have their own "personality" despite the significant passage of time is fascinating to me.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Be interesting to see just how long the PUP and EWSS are maintained.

I'd be withdrawing them fairly quick - let businesses find their new level and they either have enough turnover and survive. Or things have changed and they close. No point in propping up zombies on one hand whilst underwriting staff wages for profitable enterprises on the other. The hotel industry have a wake up call coming - they've had their wage bill largely underwritten by the state whilst smaller accommodation providers left to fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The problem with Clare Byrne was the very zealous line she adopted all the way through this and each day was effectively the COVID Show. Know people who like and respect her but just abandoned her for the COVID coverage. Seeming reasonable now is an aberration on that front.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Advertisement

All major measures to lapse at 6am tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There'll be a 3-4 week grace period I'd say to give employers time to sh1t or get off the pot. That is, to make people redundant or bring them back in on full pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Quags

Smells like Carnage this weekend 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Earlier, the Tánaiste did not rule out the possibility of bars and restaurants being able to stay open beyond 8pm tonight.

However, he warned that there are still some things which have to be worked out in order to change the current regulations.

No, there really aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wow, it's like Christmas, the second coming and a gangbang all in one!

Masks to end in a month, Jesus Christ everyone let's not **** this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Looking forward to all the restriction loving nerds on twitter and elsewhere coming out with the hot takes like "even though it's not required anymore, can we still keep 2m distance in queues" etc.

Now it explains why Micheal Martin was in such positive spirits earlier in the week talking about how we're well over the omicron peak etc. He obviously was in contact with Tony that we could remove all restrictions this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great news, I'm a bit surprised at the haste of reopening though.

Ive no doubt its being done so as Nphet and the Govt can say all their restrictions and the citizens hard work over the last 2 years has been validated, and lead to Ireland being one of the first countries in Europe to return to normal.

Disappointed that those 2 gutter reporters Gavan Reilly and Chambers get all the info leaked, they could surely get better journalists than those two bottom feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Jeezus lads I can't believe it. 2 years...It's a long time when you think of it but it doesn't seem that long since it started at the same time.

There's gonna be 20 year olds going to niteclubs for the first time without social distancing or masks or anything.

End of an era!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think inflation and the lack of confidence in QE may be the reason that we're a lot of quick repealing of restrictions worldwide. UK, Spain, Virginia (US) etc.

The sooner we get back to real economic activity, and away from fake-stimulus, the sooner we are on a more solid economic footing. I'm sure the Irish government are hoping for a lot of consumer spending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Fcuking weirdos, every last one of them! They will be dragged kicking and screaming into the "old normal". Freaks

They're following the UK.

UK are a couple weeks ahead of us, they see no point in the restrictions anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can't wait for the curtain twitchers to be tut-tutting about the queues for Coppers! 🤣

• Advertisement

Actually can't believe it's finishing so abruptly. I had always assumed we would have an extended period of phased removal of restrictions. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

I’m so happy I could cry! It’s been a long 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Their tut-tutting will fall on deaf ears now though, and they will fade into the obscurity from whence they came!

What will the Covid celebrities like the architect do with themselves? Their time in the spotlight is ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I'm going to celebrate by staying in all weekend and drinking cans because I want to, not because I have to.

Rock and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Surely not. They'd be doubting the NPHET advice and expecting the government to go against it, which by their own logic would make them conspiracy theorist right wing trolls.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nearly shed a tear with that news. God its been a long time coming.

Roll on 2022! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

Anyone do a wellness check on Tomas Ryan and the other rules for radicals twerps?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I'm annoyed that I won't be able to cause a kerfuffle trying to get into the cinema or a restaurant....

Dear God, won't someone please check my cert 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Presume Phil must have a model for the coming months which they based their decision on, though oddly haven't seen any mention of it.

Because otherwise it would all be just totally making it up, but that couldn't be true.

Advertisement