Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part-if any-should Ireland play in the defence of Ukraine if Russia invades?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Thread title is hilarious 😂😂😂

Well if Russia is just sabre rattling this mau actually force them to invade now before the bulk are delivered. Also Uk has difficulty keeping supermarkets stocked so delivering 1000s of anti armor rockets may actually be on the never never

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know a few fellas with shotguns that wouln't mind a trip to Moscow and show Putin what he's up against!

It will be interesting to see how loyal the armed forces are to Putin, especially if thousands of them are killed needlessy fighting in the Ukraine, or Ukraine retaliates and fires at Russian cities. The generals may want a new leader then. That said, an ex KGB agent would be the more likely to come out on top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Economics101

Just what alliance did you have in mind? I think we should be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Could we just shake a furious fist at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The (Nordic Defence) 'Scandanivian Defence' Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Economics101

I'm sure a Cuban-Venezuelan defense union would delight the Irish lefties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

NATO are the real antagonists here but you won't hear about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even recognising we couldn't do anything unilaterally, I find it mad some people think it is none of our concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Clutch purses, have Roderic O'Gorman enquire if theres any Africans in Ukraine that might need rehousing. Clutch Purses. Make strong comments about enviromental impact of war. Have Eamonn Ryan announce that all Irish Defence Forces vehicles will be electric by 2025. Have Helen McEntee go full Hilary and announce that war effects women the most, while Ukranian men are being bombed to bejasus. Clutch Purses. Have Micheal Martin wonder aloud if there's anything to be said for another Lockdown. Clutch Purses. Have Tony Hulahoop declare another lockdown. Clutch Purses. Have Leo tweet that maybe lockdown could end some day. Clutch Purses. Have the few sane people left who don't listen to RTE and Newstalk for Covid updates everyday like grannies listening to the death notices pray that Vlad invades us too, because at least a Russian dictatorship wouldnt keep us under **** lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We've been hearing it for my entire life from Guardian reading virtue signallers regardless of the actual situation. Almost as if the peaceniks were on Russias payroll like back in the good old days of the cold war eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's a very good point.

I watched a good documentary on the Falklands War over Christmas (40 years ago this year, can you believe it).

As you probably know, one of the main motivations of the ruling Junta to occupy the islands when they did, was to distract from huge domestic problems in Argentina, rampant inflation, economic collapse etc.

13,000 Argentines, most conscripts, basically gave up as soon as half that number of Brits came ashore. They were unmotivated.

Same goes for Putin and this whole feckin charade he's mounting, just to distract from the colossal political and economic issues in Moscow.

The 120,000 Russians are going to be greeted by 2,000,000 fervently nationalistic and highly motivated Ukrainians, swinging 5 billion quids worth of state-of-the-art Western gear.

Could be the biggest Russian humiliation since Afghanistan.

Unless Vlad starts chucking battlefield nukes at them, in which case we're all shagged anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

We should play no part… none of our fuckin business … let’s straighten out our own country first

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Unfortunately for you, that's total and utter bullshyt.

The only ones trying to keep sovereign, foreign nations from exercising their free will to associate as they want internationally, is Russia. By any means at their disposal.

And there's really no getting around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We can have a few masses

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Russia use their threat of force far better than any country in the world right now. It's why people just talk about sanctions that mean nothing, as they fear Russia's power. Years ago the USA held all the cards, they were like, '' you sank my boat, cool, here are some Atomic bombs that we'll drop on thousands of innocent people, guess you won't sink another of our boats eh''

We have our trotters underneath the UN Security Council table.

This is where we make whatever contributions we can.

This is all big boy willy waving anyway. Nothing is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Release lots of strongly worded statements. Simon Coveney will be in his element. Towing the NATO/EU line of course. Gotta look out for his future job opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Word is the Russians are reading this thread and getting nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Putin thinks it gets to have its own Monroe Doctrine in Eastern Europe because of its past status as a great power. Those days are over and Russia needs to reconcile itself with that fact. The twin attractions of being part of the world's largest economic bloc in the EU (as a peer country and not a client state), and the security guarantees that NATO offers have long since won over former Warsaw Pact countries.

Russia offers very little to its former little brother satellite states - only bad memories and the ghastly prospect of being tied to a moribund mono-track economy chronically addicted to fluctuating gas revenues.

The US gets to have a Monroe Doctrine because it the economic engine of the Western Hemisphere without peer financially and militarily - and, despite all its faults, is respected in its neighborhood to a far greater extent than Russia is in her's.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Russia has a history of expansion, they love to grab land mile by mile. USA is only 4km from Russia, it's funny how they love to land grab in the other direction, preying on the weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Unfortunately for you, no it's not.

Keeping lines of communication open is pivotal to preventing war. NATO is the biggest threat to these lines of communication, it more or less forces generally neutral countries to adopt antagonistic, anti-russian sentiments held by countries like the US. This is why countries like Finland, who have long borders with Russia, refuse to join NATO.

This is before we even talk about the military bases setup in places like Romania, which are tantamount to the Cuban missile crisis of the 60s. But because it's Russia, who gives a fk?!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would it not be better insteading of invading Ukraine and eventually the rest of Europe if they instead created 2 discount Russian grocery chains and rapidly grew them across the area instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭animalinside

Feel free to look it up? I know it for a fact, that's why I stated it, I'm not just making **** up by what I feel might be right like you. I have a substantial financial interest in a farm myself.

It's a fact that Russia imported a huge amount of agricultural products from Ireland, it's a huge market that's now gone, it was all over the news. "We probably exported more to somewhere like Yorkshire" my hole!

What's "huge?". And place it in ranking terms in the top 20 or so destination countries for Irish produce. Figures from 2013 (from Simon Coveney) put it at just 2.5% of agri food exports, the ruble is a historically weak and erratic currency as well, so not exactly a reliable trading partner in terms of purchasing power. It's a fart in the wind and Irish meat and dairy have long since found higher-value replacement markets.

Russia was never a particularly valuable market for Irish agricultural goods, the food industry is doing just fine without it and is not "destroyed" as you so put it. Pure hyperbole, and the sanctions bunfight of 2014 hurt Russia far more than the EU.

Given that in 2013, Ireland exported 4.3bn worth of agri-food produce to the UK, I'd submit the consumers of Yorkshire are a good deal more important to Irish agriculture than Leonid in Kazan, then, now and into the future.

EDIT: Just as an illustration (and to be a smartypants), I did the sums. The population of Yorkshire is 8.5% of the UK total so all things being equal the value of food and drink exports to Yorkshire to the Irish agri-food industry would have been worth approx 365m in 2013.

The value of food exports to Russia came in at 232m (Irish gov. figures) in the same year. There you have it.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭animalinside

"The ruble is... fart in the wind", get the hell out of here. What kind of idiot thing to say is that about a currency?

You will apologise for that, then ask politely and say you will concede and say I was right if I will post the correct links proving you completely wrong, especially since brexit.

🤣

Apologise, will you get some sense?

The ruble goes through regular bouts of sh*tting the bed. Major crisis in 2015 and again in 2020 when it lost 20% of its value. Similar to other mismanaged erratic currencies like the Turkish lira, the government tries to get the average Dimitry not to save deposits in euro or dollar-denominated accounts (which rightly, is the preference of consumers who can afford to save). The first sign of a piss-poor currency. It's one of the most volatile currencies in the world. Not exactly the Swiss Franc is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

There has been over 10 flights full already... the air bridge is already in place

Advertisement