Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djokovic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Just like Trumpists the Djokstraps will be crying salty tears for a while yet 😀

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

He has claimed that he was exempt due to having previously contracted Covid. Victoria state apparently accepted this. But the Aussie federal doesn’t. Prior infection was not a federal exemption. Consequently the federal denied entry, being strong on vaccinations for entry, no matter if you have celebrity status. He went to court. Eventually lost. Deported.

If he wanted to defend his titles, why not get vaccinated? Historically the Aussie’s have always been tuff on entry health status. Before Covid. To plead ignorance after having competed there several times before was a lame excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"just let the Serbs run things"

They don't rape each other (Serbs) so we're safe as long as they wont spawn too much (very unlikely considering their current demographics)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not really considering:

And

Hahahahaha. What a feckin idiot.

Now I might not have the writing ability of a journalist and tend to write stuff in a rather simple straight forward manner but at least it's my own.

The general argument being put forward by brenbrady suggested I was dealing with an fool. The copy and paste confirms it.

What a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you were aspirational with the comparison to a journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm outta this now, it's over and done. I've no intention trying to read and understand national party and anti-vaxxer nonsense.

Again, rather than engage in the merits people would rather engage in ad hominem attacks.

He didn't lose in court, a judge ruled in his favour in that the immigration was unfair in their procedures when cancelling his visa. The Australian government even acknowledged that he wasn't a threat to public health. The reason his visa was cancelled was because of comments he made about vaccines in April 2020 which the Australian immigration minister deemed to be dangerous and may excite anti-vaccine sentiment. Nothing to do with public health or The Science TM.

I specifically stated that I don't write like a journalist giving a not toward the copy and pasted piece by the other fella.

Merits. What would you know about the case. You are just trawling the net for something that might look like a semi intelligent answer and claiming it as your own. Now what is the point in engaging with that.

You are a clown.

• Advertisement

In other words, the principle just embraced by the Australian government and upheld by its judicial system..... is that anyone who has ever expressed any scepticism over vaccines in general, or the COVID vaccine in particular, can and should be denied entrance to the country and be prevented from pursuing their livelihood.

That is not a statement of fact. That is your own, selective, subjective reading of things, which also happens to be pure unadulterated bullshit. He was refused entry because of his actions, not because of his beliefs.

You keep spouting this "the courts have agreed he's no danger to the public" rubbish like its some smoking gun. This is also not true. Just because they didn't come out and explicitly state that he WAS a danger to others, doesn't mean he ISN'T.

The level of projection and cognitive dissonance is off the charts. Why are all the posters who were in his corner until very recently not around anymore? How come it's just you Bertie and Glasso fighting his battles at this stage? Because they've realised they were in the wrong and, rather than admit it, they've slunk off into the darkness until the next kneejerk situation arises.

Bottom line is he tried to blag his way into the country, and he was caught out. So, no dice, Mr Djokovic, sling your hook. The ironic thing about the whole saga is, if he HAD been allowed in, the anti-vax mouth-breathers and knuckle-draggers would be touting it as some sort of supreme victory........"the hardest country in the world to get into has let the unvaxxed sports stars in, this is obviously a scamdemic, wake up sheeple" .

Instead the usual suspects who were praising their government and judiciary 7 days ago now think the same government are the thought police. Change the fookin record, lads.

More fantasy.

You've no idea why his visa was cancelled. You're assuming it's because of comments from 2020, while everyone else can see it's his actions since the middle of December that are the reasons behind it. You're trying to frame it as some sort of dystopian nightmare where anyone who says the wrong thing can be deported / jailed / imprisoned.

When, in reality, he had numerous opportunities to do the right thing and chose not to.

Answer me this, if he really did have covid and isolated as required, and there were no photos of him with the kids/journalists.......would he have been allowed stay in the country? Honestly, do you think he'd have 'gotten away with it'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Why are all the posters who were in his corner until very recently not around anymore?'

I'm here.

The cognitive dissonance is actually on your part and is very strong here. Mostly because almost everything you said in that post is empirically wrong not to mention the personal insults which have been thrown which is also an indication that you're losing the argument. The simple reality is that if you follow each of the points to their logical conclusion, the facts of the matter are that he entered the country legally based on a medical exemption reviewed by two medical boards, that a judge ruled in favour when he appealed the cancellation of his visa which was deemed to be unfair, that he was acknowledged not to be a threat to public health because of a negative test he had taken and was willing to participate in whatever testing regime the Australians wanted. The reason his visa was cancelled was because of opinions on vaccines he articulated in April 2020 (before a covid vaccine was available) which the Australian minster didn't agree with and deemed to be a threat to public order. When appealing that decision the panel of judges were at pains to state that there hands legally tied because of the absolute power of the minster.

Those are all statements of fact. Nowhere in that process did the Australian government state anything about "lies", "mouth breathers", "blag" or whatever personal insult you want to throw in. Your arguments are based on pure emotion not on facts. I'm sorry but you're entitled to your feelings but not entitled to your own facts.

Anything I've said I'm willing to back up. I don't think you even know what your opinion is anymore since every point you've made has turned out to be factually incorrect so you've resorted to personal insults. Happy to engage with you on the facts but since none are forthcoming I can just point them out to you which are that two separate medical boards reviewed his application and concluded that he was eligible for the exemption under the law despite being unvaccinated. A judge ruled in Djokovic's favour in that the border patrol had been unreasonable, un-rational and unfair in the procedures they used to ban him entering the country. The immigration minister stated that the reason for his decision, which he was legally required to provide, was that he was being deported because of political opinions he made in April 2020 on a FB live feed (before a covid vaccine was even available) which may excite anti-vaccine sentiment i Australia. The judicial panel which reviewed the immigration ministers decision were at pains to say that their hands were tied due to the absolute power of the ministers decision.

It's a good job you mastered the cut and paste cause you would get tired typing out that 2 medical boards piece every 5 minutes.

The minister looked at it and made the decision based on the specifics of the case and at a much later point in time where ALOT more information was available to him compared to your over quoted 2 medical boards.

Anyone who behaved like him wouldn't be let into Australia, it's a simple fact and you should open your eyes and you would see that.

More projection. Accuse others of that which you yourself are guilty of.

You started your last post with "in other words.....". That is literally the dictionary definition of putting your own spin on things, you're using your own interpretation to come up with what you want it to say.

the facts of the matter are that he entered the country legally based on a medical exemption reviewed by two medical boards

Yep. And that exemption was subsequently found to not exist, so his visa was cancelled.

that a judge ruled in favour when he appealed the cancellation of his visa which was deemed to be unfair,

The judge didn't rule in favour of either side, one way or the other. The judge ruled that he had not been given ample time to fight the cancellation of the visa, so he was given ample time. A technicality, not a ruling on the merits of the case.

that he was acknowledged not to be a threat to public health because of a negative test he had taken and was willing to participate in whatever testing regime the Australians wanted.

Okay, I'll bite....where and when did they say he was no danger to public health and who, with any sort of authority on the matter, said it? Cos I've not seen anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The exemption he received was from Tennis Australia. They do not control the country's borders, unless there has been a recent coup that didn't make the news over here.

My only regret is that they didn't give him a criminal conviction because that's absolutely what he deserves.

He is scum.

Ah yes, growleaves. Of course.

I'm trying to be polite here, but if I had you in my corner claiming that I was in the right, I'd know for a fact that I was in the wrong.

You never replied to my early post about the debunking of the "1000s of athletes with heart troubles from the vaccines" article.

Here's a recap:

Poster posts article claiming hundreds / thousands of "athletes" (including an 86 year old caddy and a 13 year old who wasn't eligible for the vaccine when they died) died as a direct result of the vaccine.

I post article debunking your one and another poster shows the stats, which show 2018 (pre-vaccine) had much more "athletes" dropping dead than either of the years since, so couldn't be vaccine related.

You:...............

Theres a reason I forgot you were still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

'I'm trying to be polite here, but if I had you in my corner claiming that I was in the right, I'd know for a fact that I was in the wrong.'

Lol I don't know if that's polite but its funny.

'You never replied to my early post about the debunking of the "1000s of athletes with heart troubles from the vaccines" article.'

I'm not an anti-vaccination activist. I said earlier in the thread that these issues shouldn't be partisanised yet here you are talking about 'sides'.

I was willing to consider the thing about athlete heart trouble that the other poster led off with until you and others showed that its apparently inconclusive at best. Several posters stopped discussing it and the thread went to new places. What do you want?

Anyway like I said here I am. So I didn't run away with my tail between my legs just cause Djokovic has been comprehensively defeated in his effort to enter Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Djerkovic! How his advisors put the series of excuses together is strange. Obviously not used to rigorous scrutiny.

And the outburst of Serbian nationalism is a wee bit pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭jj880

Let it go lads.

First off, fair play for sticking around. Secondly, fair play for admitting you reconsidered your stance, we could do with more of that (on every side).

Thirdly, you were holding debunking article to a higher standard than the original article making the claim. It was a case of you looking for proof for the debunking part, while not seeking similar on the "X number of deaths part". This carries all the hallmarks of the usual rabble on here who are, as you put, an anti-vaccination activist. If I'm mistaken, I apologise.

I was merely looking for an acknowledgement of the disconnect between the two articles, and saw none forthcoming. If I missed it, I apologise for that also

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

The court documents are probably the best reference in terms of the Ministers position with regard to Djokovic.

Okay, I'll bite....where and when did they say he was no danger to public health and who, with any sort of authority on the matter, said it? Cos I've not seen anything of the sort.

The minister proceeded on the assumption in Djokovic's favour that be posed a negligible risk to public health based on advice from the Commonwealth Department of Health which was cleared by the CMO.

Yep. And that exemption was subsequently found to not exist, so his visa was cancelled.

Point 16 suggests not only did the medical exemption exist it was also weighted in the ministers discretion against cancellation however, he does mention that Mr. DJOKOVIC considered that he had a valid exemption which appears to question the validity at a federal level as it is clear from the exemption certificate issued to Djokovic it was endorsed at the Victorian State Govenment level.

My understanding from reading the court documents is the reason his visa was cancelled was that his presense in Australia may foster anti-vaccination sentiment and not that he lied on his application form and/or did not have a medical exemption in fact it appears his visa application and medical exemption weighted in the ministers discretion against cancellation.

The same reason is reiterated in the Risk to good order section

The same reason is also reiterated in the public intrest section

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ok, that about wraps it up, put the kettle on lads, we’ll have a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Final plot twist. It seems that Tennis Australia believed so strongly that Djokovic should play in the AO, that they will cover the costs for the 2nd case. Australian taxpayers will foot the bill for both legal teams in both proceedings. So anybody who claimed "there are no winners here" were wrong. There was one, old reliable winner who never seems to lose.

Thanks for that. Though I'm not quite sure it means what the other poster claims it means.

The minister proceeded on the assumption in Djokovic's favour that be posed a negligible risk to public health based on advice from the Commonwealth Department of Health which was cleared by the CMO.

The previous poster has been running around shouting from the rooftops that it was acknowledged he posed no danger to the public. Those documents do not support that assertion. In fact, they outright contradict it. The CMO advised that he was a low risk (not 'no risk', but a 'low risk'). ND claimed the risk was negligible. The minister proceeds on the assumption that he was negligible. Again, this is not an acknowledgment of him posing no risk (which is the claim being made). There is a significant difference between "This guy poses a negligible risk" and "I'm going to assume this guy poses no risk".

Note also the beginning of that sentence "If there is a difference between.....". The advice given was that he was a low risk (but still a risk), and ND's claim is that it was so low it was negligible. My understanding of that sentence is that, for the purposes of his determination, the author doesn't see the difference between low and negligible, so will just assume that it's negligible for the sake of brevity or whatever. This, again, is not a tacit admission that he posed no danger to the public.

HOWEVER.........point 17 then blows that out of the water, where he does accept it, so I stand corrected.

Thanks again, I wasn't aware the court docs were available so quickly.

Point 16 suggests not only did the medical exemption exist it was also weighted in the ministers discretion against cancellation however, he does mention that Mr. DJOKOVIC considered that he had a valid exemption which appears to question the validity at a federal level as it is clear from the exemption certificate issued to Djokovic it was endorsed at the Victorian State Govenment level.

I should have been clearer with my words. I never meant to suggest that it NEVER existed, I meant that it NO LONGER existed once it was cleared up what the exemption was (or should have been) all about. Point 16 states that ND himself considered that his exemption was valid, and that's why he traveled, which is fair enough. When he landed, it turns out that it wasn't valid, so his Visa was revoked. It is my understanding that he was told he was exempt, by the VIC authorities, but then found out he wasn't, according to Federal ones.

I mean, I have a helicopter's pilot's licence. It's written in crayon on the back of a corn flakes box, but I consider it valid. I can't show up at Baldonnel aerodrome and demand to be allowed fly one though, without it being checked for veracity/validity etc, at which point it turns out that it was never really valid in the first instance. This is similar circumstances here, AFAIK. He was told it was valid by authority A, but the validity was questioned by Authority B and rejected. Once B outranks A, he's SOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The lawyers were always going to be paid. why would they not be?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There was a winner…… The Australian Public, who after two years of hell and lockdowns put a flip-flop firmly under the arse of a chancer who thought he could do a quick ‘in an out’ with 2.5 mil in his arse pocket potentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

if the situation had never arisen, which it shouldn't have.

Advertisement