Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you getting your child 5-11 vaccinated? Why/why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

My husband has the same,2 inches exactly...u r not alone dude...keep strong!!feel ur pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes. For risk of MIS C and long covid alone. Also an acquaintance’s kid just <5 got covid this week and had a febrile seizure. His first. One of mine is a close contact I found out today so hopefully first dose will give some protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Yeah both have had first dose already. Both have friends with siblings who would be in higher risk groups and having spoken to two friends who are GPs I had no doubt it was the right thing to do for their sake as well as others.

Reminds me of a post I saw on a snow thread in the weather forum a few years ago:

"Snowing heavey here all morning, the garden is like a winter wonderland. My two kids, 4 and 6, have their noses pressed to the window. If they don't go away soon I'll have to let them in"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭johnire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

There is also no long term effects of covid known. But out of covid and the vaccine, covid has killed several thousand children worldwide and hospitalised several thousand, while the vaccine has not.

And btw, I think vaccine on kids is a waste when there are elderly people in the developing world dying of covid . But the argument about long term side effects is nonsense while you allow a kid to be infected with something we know is already more harmful in the short term but with similar unknown about long term safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

no way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Thankfully they're awake and say no for themselves.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I’ll be leaving it for a good while yet, if at all. The pros are negligible. The cons are unknown. I’m sure what they’ll do is if I want to go to Spain it will be that they will have to have it. But after the swine flu debacle I’ll be happy to sacrifice holidays for another year and wait for actual data rather than taking their word for it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No, because…

They don’t need it.

They probably already had C-19.

It doesn’t stop them getting infected with Omicron.

It doesn’t stop them spreading Omicron.

UK don’t advise it and never have for any variant (for healthy children).

Irish advice has questionable motives.

Irish advise is based on pre-Omicron information (which is even milder).

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Covid has killed just over 5000 children under the age of 9 Worldwide. 172 of these in the states alone..so I'm guessing majority of the remained of this figure would largely be in what is classed as third world countries. Of the 172 in the States my guess is that the majority of these kids had underlying conditions.

My children do not have any underlying conditions, are fit and well and have probably had covid at least once, if not more in the almost 2 years since its been about.

Ergo giving them a vaccine which we know very little about, would be ludicrous, For what benefit to them???

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Pandemrix, the vaccine used 10 years ago for swine flue was said to be as a safe as the ordinary flu vaccine, which had been on the market for 60 years.

Yet how many children ended up with narcolepsy and suing the state over it?? As I said 10 years ago...not 50...so I think ill refrain from jabbing my kids with a vaccine the state assures me is ok to use..even though its in its infancy

So a boy in my sons class (first), told them all that “My manny said you need an operation to get the vaccine and that it’s very sore for two weeks after”. Guess who is afraid their children are going to be coming home asking why they aren’t getting the vaccine. What is she going to tell them when the ask “how come some of my friends have have it and they only had a sore arm for a day”.

Also, Interesting to the see the “we know very little about these vaccines” schtick is still going strong after billions of doses have been administered with hundreds of millions having been given to kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

No because there is no benefit for healthy kids or society in vaccinating a against a virus soon to be categorised as endemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I have no doubt they were fine, seeing as healthy children have a 99.999% chance of being fine from COVID. But that's short term. You specifically said it was the long term effects of the vaccine you were afraid of, as we know short term it's harmless to children just like covid. But as I said the point does not make much logical sense if it is the LONG term effects you fear seeing as we do not know the long term effects of covid either, so I don't understand why you are so sure covid would pose no issue long term while fear a vaccine may do. Surely you see where I'm coming from with my point.

If I had children I would leave it up to them, if they really wanted the vaccine I'd be happy for them to get it as risk of side effects look very low. I think it might be good to get it to maybe stop them getting a potential bad dose and not miss school, something like that..fear of your healthy child being killed or hospitalised by covid is verging on irrational. But certainly my reasoning for them not getting the vaccine would not involve fear of long term effects, because if that was my fear, COVID is clearly the one more likely to pose risk of long term effects, however small the chance may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

If I had children I would leave it up to them

You should spend more time with 5-year-olds and then come and tell us how comfy you are with that position. 😂

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well as expected we didn’t get as far as second dose before we caught it. One of my two children was a close contact Thursday and Friday and came down with it Sunday - exactly a week after the first jab. Sunday night was rough enough but he seems ok this morning

Five year olds, in my experience, are more rational than at least half the posters in this place

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That was certainly the held belief a few months ago but I haven't heard anyone say that since omicron. The HSE are not saying it anyway so are you sure that is still the case?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Do you seriously think 5 to 11 year olds are going to be coming home crying because they didn't get a needle that their friends got.

Most kids are scared of needles and you think some kids will be upset because their friends got a needle and they didn't.

This is not a vaccine where a nurse comes into the school, parents need to bring the child outside of school so how are other kids going to know who got a vaccine.

These are young kids, I don't think they will have any idea what needle they got and I don't think kids this age are going to be having conversations about Covid in school.

A case might have been made for kids to get it to reduce transmission, but that is now pointless, so the only reason to jab kids now is to make people like you feel safer.

It is a massive waste of money and the uptake will be very low.

In fact the majority of kids will not get the vaccine so to use your ridiculous theory, it is much more likely kids will be asking parents why did they need to get a needle that hurt them when their friends didn't have to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Nuts102

You think five year olds will be crying to their parents that their friend got a needle.

I think its more likely they will be crying because they don't have a Nintendo switch.

I doubt you have any experience of five year olds if you think they want to get needles and talk about Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

I've two kids and I've no intent to get them jabbed. If they are not in danger from omicron then I'm not getting them medicated against it.

And to add they are aged 9 and 6 and I'd consider them fairly switched on lads. They Haven't once complained about anything covid related since the restrictions started to lift and not once have they asked about vaccines. Its not in their thought process.

It's way off the mark to suggest kids will be jealous of their mate that got a needle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

From what studies I've read, the vaccine is still effective against omicron just to a lower level than it had been against earlier variants. That being the case, the scenario of reduced transmission that I outlined above would be expected to still hold true albeit at a lower level also

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is it such a minute level though that means the point is largely irrelevant? No one seems to be using this as a reason to get kids vaccinated. The experts aren't mentioning it and neither are the HSE. This is the only reason I can see that would justify vaccinating my kids but I have been unable to find ANY data on it post omicron

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

You're right, it's not included in any of the HSE literature so it may well only be applicable at a very low level against omicron, or just that there's no data available, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Protection against severe disease is about 89% with Omicron for the vaccines, I haven't seen any reliable data on transmission yet (probably too early for it to be available). It will probably have some effect (waning eventually), but it's unknown what that is.

There is early data (mostly from hospitalisations in the US being higher than here, but that could be down to underlying conditions as well) that highly vaccinated countries are doing better against Omicron.

Advertisement