Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashling Murphy RIP - a discussion *please read the OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Women are saying men need to do better because of the overwhelming evidence of male violence against women. If you can’t see that and can only see men vs women, then I think your own bias is showing.

Also the people criticising the #shewasgoingforarun hashtag, saying why did it matter she was going for a run when it could have happened at any time and place! That’s the point! The hashtag is stressing that! Runs or any activity should not be risky!!

Lol 😂😂

I couldn't care less if some guy wolf whistles at me, or shouts something inappropriate or plain rude, it's not gonna make me cry, or uncomfortable as such. But I am fairly tough 😁

But being flattered?? Get a grip. No one has any right to comment on random strangers in the street and extremely few women are going to be flattered by it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Freight bandit

It's a senseless murder and may she rest in peace. I too dont understand this demonisation of men, most men I know myself included are deeply respectful towards women, mothers ,sisters etc..more respectful than we would be towards other males. Though I do think this is going to spectacularly backfire on our media and political class in the next few days, they'll have a new fight on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

86% of Irish homocide victims are male. Most victims of assaults are male.

There will always be some degree of violence against women just as there will always be violence against men but emphasising the importance of stopping male v female violence (which is a minority case) at the expense of violence against men is alienating to your average Irish male who is far more likely to actually experience violence in their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Not sure who you are responding to but I’ll bite as I have moaned twice that the Taoiseach has said this.

It isn’t all men though is it! That’s the problem!

I’ve read some of the tweets on the #sheeasonlygoingforarun and there’s some quite nasty, false and at times dangerous tweets, one for example stating all men benefit from violent men by keeping women down and scared.

This rhetoric detracts from what will turn out to be the actual facts and does infinitely more damage than it does help!

And only where the victim is female? What percentage of their attackers are male?

also, do you see in both cases, whether women or men are victims, the assaulters are nearly always male? So regardless of sex of the victim, men are the attackers. This is why “men must do better”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Likewise I have daughters of similar age and a wife etc and similar concerns. But I don't think that it's our place to stop banter and flirting between the sexes. It's part of our human existence. Difficulties arise on the borderlines between what is acceptable and otherwise and even that varies by individual. But why this topic is being tied in with this appalling murder is beyond me. Opposite ends completely of the scale. This was thankfully a fairly rare event. And before someone makes up a list, think of the tens of thousands of people, many women who walk, jog, run, swim, cycle every day without being murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭StreetLight

A couple of days before this killing, a man was shot to death in Ballyfermot. One of the first reports about him from the media was to iterate that he had no known links to criminality. Just to make it clear and to deepen the mystery.

A woman is currently being questioned in relation to the killing, but there was no gender based crusading from the media.

So where was the corresponding outrage for the Ballyfermot death compared to the Offaly one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Streetlight there was a woman murdered on christmas eve, where was the outrage then.

Seeing plenty of men need to be educated that it's not acceptable behavour, teenage boys need to go to classes.

Do these men and teenagers not have parents or a parent to teach them from the cradle how to treat another human being. This sh*t can be curtailed if they are told how to behave at home. It's not just males, females can be just as bad with wolf whistles and making the opposite sex feel uncomfortable and when they get talking about guys it goes into the gutter just as quickly as if it a gang of lads. Parents have a responsibility to raise their children with morals, they need to stop expecting everyone else to teach or control their children.

Everyone no mater what gender needs to be able to feel safe when out, need to feel safe in a relationship, should not live looking over our shoulders all the time.

• Advertisement

Oh yes? Which senior gardai? From which unit in the Phoenix park?

And of course you have proof that the local gardai leaked information?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,704 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That's just hiding behind stats that means very little, every girl/woman has a story of some man or men that try it on with them, or make unwanted sexual advances towards them. While every guy most likely wishes every girl/woman would try it on with them or make suggestive sexual advances towards them.

Ok, we get you. All men are dangerous predators! You may as well move along now. Thanks for your input.

but the problem is the vicious people you talk about are overwhelmingly male! By calling them people, you’re removing a very common trend between them. Society must ask itself why are most of its violent people male?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

I was on about my female friends. Thats my lived experience and you are entitled to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

I haven’t seen anyone wolf whistling at a woman since I was a kid (the 1980s) and thought it had died out in this country but could be wrong. However I was in Spain a couple of years ago with a group of teenagers and was shocked at the level of sexual aggression the girls received. Grown men on building sites would turn off machinery so they could be heard when they roared at the girls. In many cases the hand signals made it clear what they wanted to do to the girls. Men would stop and in some cases U turn cars to follow and comment to the girls. The girls were between 14 and 16 years old. As a father I have to say it was vile to see. You can’t say this sort of behaviour is harmless.

For me respect for and between both sexes is key and can be taught to young kids and kids can learn this by observing adults and parents. However you will never remove violence from the world through education. There will always be violence. Part of the response has to be a deterrent in the form of proper punishment for violence. It’s a joke in this country. There was a case last week where a man defiled his young cousin and got 30 months in prison - he already had 140 convictions. It won’t fix all issues but it will help.

Also can we stop trying to link violence to mental health. Yes it’s an issue in some cases, but some people are just fcuking bad and nothing will stop them being violent.

The usual suspects turning this into men v women issue is also not helping IMO. Where were these people when Urantsetseg Tserendorj was murdered in Dublin?

RIP to Ashling and condolences to her family.

You’re being purposefully obtuse, I said the vast majority of assaulters are male, not all men are dangerous predators. If you can’t see the difference, it’s because of your own faulty reasoning

"Men must do better" is so condescending.

So because males happen to victims of assault by other males, that lessens the importance of the assaults against them?

To reduce the rate of violence by men v women, men v men, we need tougher judicial sentences and mental health supports not blaming men for their apparent intrinsic evil.

Also, stating the obvious here but men are more aggressive by nature due to biological factors like testosterone, the twitter blame game is not going to change that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup. If we're doing the slippery slope stuff, we should be coming down harder on knife crime amongst teenagers nowadays, or the gangs of then terrorising people in our cities, and of course items like cruelty to animals (you'd see lots of articles on animals being attacked with fireworks from kids/teenagers).

Not the banter stuff that goes on in both genders WhatsApp groups or whatever (hell based on some I'm in its lots of memes about a certain big guy called Barry).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - we're not discussing the Garda investigation, read post #1 again. There will be no more warnings about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

But nobody is wolf-whistling you walshb. If you were a woman and particularly an attractive woman who has been facing this for years I’m sure it gets old really fast. Add to that the fact that these women can feel in physical danger from a larger stronger man doing the whistling or shouting. It’s often intimidating and some women will be getting this crap from the age of about 14 up, from men who probably physically repulse them. I believe a lot of work needs to be done on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yes you are defending it.

In the opening thread, the discussions is about can be done to help women feel safe.

Let them go about their business in peace for a start. They don't want or need your male banter. While I cant speak for all women, its safe to say that given the feedback on social media, that the majority of women do not want to be harassed when out for a run, walk or coffee.

You seem unable to grasp that this is intimidation.

Women should not have to put up with "the small stuff here that males do from time to time".

Not all "males". And the "males" that do it, need to stop it. It's far from ok.

Your posts are totally tone deaf given the conversation on the table here.

But it 100% demonstrate what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Your previous posts have continually stated that’s why ‘men must do better’

You are being purposefully antagonistic so don’t be surprised when you get called on it!

I very much can see the difference, if your bothered to read my previous posts that much is completely obvious.

Stop generalising that ‘men must do better’ it’s generalistic nonsense!

only women with extremely low self esteem would find random men commenting on them or wolf whistling at them in anyway flattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

anewme, not all women think a wolf whistle is intimidation.. Some do. I know this….stop speaking for all women on this in your efforts to criticise male behaviours.

Nobody is condoning anyone intimidating anyone.

The issue is the ridiculous OTT dramatising and the illogical conflating of general and innocent and harmless banter between sexes with sexual deviants and predators and violent people.

This does nothing but divide and polarise.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭standardg60

Thousands of years of evolution is the reason, not easily resolved with a hashtag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

You can blame evolution for that. The same reason most people who go to war are male, join the police force, fire brigade, paramedics etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement