Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Ashling Murphy RIP - a discussion *please read the OP before posting*

• 15-01-2022 3:59pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 65,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Beasty

There have been a number if threads following the horrendous murder of Ashling Murphy. All have been closed as they ended up focussing on the alleged perpetrator of this awful crime.

This thread is to discuss Ashling, To offer condolences. To sympathise with those who knew her, and to express your own feelings following her tragic death. It's a place to discuss the safety of women, and what is needed to offer women more assurances over their safety. What we need to do to allow women to go about their daily lives without being in fear over their safety.

This thread is not to discuss the perpetrator. One person has already been incorrectly identified on social media as being behind this. Leave the investigation to the Gardai. Don't speculate over motives or suspects.

Hopefully we can have an open discussion without the need, but this thread will be heavily moderated if required.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭ rolling boh

I think violence across the whole of society has increased so much over the years that this tragic murder is part of it .My heart goes out to her family cannot imagine how difficult it must be for them .

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭ Xander10

Like most, I didn't know her. Not sure me offering condolences here will be of any consolation to her poor family. I'll leave same to her friends and family on RIP.ie

I have huge sympathy for her, and all other women, men and children who have been the victims of violence. Like others have said, proper resources to tackle mental health issues and a judicial system that doesn't just act as a short-term revolving doors for offenders, would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ Barrita

There is another thread in After Hours asking "anyone else thinking of emigrating?".

Plenty of posts jumping to Irelands defence about how safe it is and how good our services etc are compared to the alternative locations proffered by various posters.

Then you jump into current affairs and you are being told women can't safely walk down the road in the very same country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ and in the morning Diamonds of Frost

I don't believe we should deem a wolf whistle to be a crime however I can see how uncomfortable it could make some women.

I stand by my earlier comment that women don't need protecting from men because I believe the opposite creates a them versus us society. However I won't deny that there are problems when it comes to harassment. A lot of women continue to be on the receiving end so their world view is different to yours when it comes to a wolf whistle.

For me personally it wouldn't cost me a thought and I might just laugh a little. That's me though.

Every person has a dark side.What defines a person with good character is not a spotless life of constant kindness, smiles and even temperament - but a willingness to see in themselves their deepest and wildest selves, lust, greed, jealousy and envy. Their complete & authentic self.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ HalfAndHalf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭ Royale with Cheese

I'm 36, have never once seen any friend of mine make any comment/wolf whistle/hassle any woman in public. While some men may do it it's absolutely not accepted as ok by the vast majority of men in modern Ireland and making sweeping statements that it is isn't really helping anyone. The only thing I've ever seen actually happen is the typical lads WhatsApp chats that I'm sure are full of shít they shouldn't be, I couldn't tell you exactly what goes on in them as I personally have no interest. I can imagine the sort of stuff that is said in some of them and I'd be more than happy to see that kind of rhetoric die out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement