Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashling Murphy RIP - a discussion *please read the OP before posting*

Options
  • 15-01-2022 4:59pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been a number if threads following the horrendous murder of Ashling Murphy. All have been closed as they ended up focussing on the alleged perpetrator of this awful crime.

This thread is to discuss Ashling, To offer condolences. To sympathise with those who knew her, and to express your own feelings following her tragic death. It's a place to discuss the safety of women, and what is needed to offer women more assurances over their safety. What we need to do to allow women to go about their daily lives without being in fear over their safety.

This thread is not to discuss the perpetrator. One person has already been incorrectly identified on social media as being behind this. Leave the investigation to the Gardai. Don't speculate over motives or suspects.

Hopefully we can have an open discussion without the need, but this thread will be heavily moderated if required.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

I have been thinking quite a bit about Ashling and this awful crime.

My feelings are at odds with the current discourse around it. I don't believe it has any connection to womens safety. In my mind it is about an individual's safety.

In saying that I understand how such connections can be made. After all Ashling was a woman who had her life taken from her as she went about her day.

Of course many people have had their lives taken from them as they went about their day, women and men. Perhaps what is needed is a discussion around violence in our society, our judicial system, the complexities within each of us and how and why murders are committed.

There is always space in my opinion for all sorts of discussions but to use the murder of a young woman to push agendas is a really terrible thing. Yes let us talk about safety, about being mindful of our surroundings, about instilling empathy in our children for their fellow humans.

I will never be able to get on board the train of thought that women need protecting from men.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

I don't think the safety of women is the issue at hand per se. I think its the safety of the populace writ large that's a concern.

It's about a light touch judicial system. Recidivist offenders out on the streets with a litany of previous convictions.

This is compounded by poor mental health services for those that need them.

I also think the #shewasgoingforarun is unintentionally reductionist in its message. It doesn't matter if she was a prostitute a drug addict, having an affair down the canal etc etc.

People should not die at the hands of others regardless of what they are doing.

An awful tragedy for the girl and her family and I hope they can find some kind of solace going forward. An unbearable pain to have to bear.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think violence across the whole of society has increased so much over the years that this tragic murder is part of it .My heart goes out to her family cannot imagine how difficult it must be for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is a horrendous thing to happen and it's very hard to empathise fully with the family’s feelings on it. I also get that people are angry and upset about it and want to show their shock and support for the family. Even so at a very raw time like this there is a danger of emotions leading to conclusions beyond the awful thing that happened to this woman.

It is perfectly natural for groups campaigning for protection of women from violence to offer opinions at this point in time but is it really the right time to do so? Unfortunately, it can look opportunistic and can end up being a wild scatter gun approach that seeks out targets in many directions. So far we have already seen social media go to work on this and not necessarily in a way that honours the woman's memory nor respects the family's grief.

RIP to a young woman savagely robbed of life and hopefully people will allow the justice system to do its work. 

• Registered Users Posts: 35,636 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Some people have a mindset , and they don't even know it. One older man said to me, '' it's an awful tragedy, poor girl, I wonder what she did to deserve that''

'' WHAT SHE DID! TO DESERVE THAT'' Now this guy meant nothing by it, but subconsciously they'll phrase it this way. That's a deep rooted mindset, without even realizing. It's like deep deep down they're thinking what provoked that man into doing this to Ashling.

It's messed up

• Advertisement

I see all sorts of rhetoric the last couple of days conflating the likes of wolf whistling from building sites to what appears to have been an obvious psychopath walking among us.

The insinuations that this tuff "is on the rise" is also a bit loose.

What exactly is on the rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Hysteria, it seems to be consuming many of us now days.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Some more thoughts.

I think many of us are struggling to understand what has happened, the life of a young woman taken from her, It's so affecting. My heart is sad for Ashling and her family, sad that these crimes happen.

People often try to find answers in an attempt to comfort themselves. The unknown is scary. If we can say such and such has a mental illness then that's a good thing for us. There is an explanation and we are doubly comforted knowing that they are not like us, it wasn't a 'regular' person.

Another possible answer may be to look at 'men' and how they need to look at themselves. Perhaps if we focus on talking about protecting women and educating men we will be comforted. It is a focus for grief, anger, outrage, fear.

When the truth is that perhaps there are no answers or tangible reasons to hold on to. Bad things happen all of the time. Our judicial system often falls short in many ways. Our society has a huge number of disenfranchised young people, our mental health services are broken, and then of course there is the pandemic.

But never mind any of that. Let us talk about women and men in a divisive fashion. Let us villify our men and paint our women to be weak and afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This was a despicable deed and insofar as it goes - a woman killed by a random attacker in daylight in a public area, quite rare. Whilst sympathising I can't help but feel that a lot of the reaction, in the media anyway, has been a bit over the top. Whilst I understand that many women can feel threatened at times and perhaps even limited in their choices, I'm not entirely clear if or how this will or can ever change.

Can we name one western society where the same issues do not arise? The factors at play have been around since the earliest days of humankind one suspects. The only society that I've heard women say that they can move freely around in without any fear at all, is that of the stricter Islamic cultures. But is that what Irish women really want? To have to dress very conservatively, cover their heads and essentially be the property of their husband. And even then I suspect that well connected men in such societies can get away with practically anything they want, even if the poorer are severely punished.

So is there a model out there somewhere, where all women feel completely free and unthreatened in public (or private) arenas, despite what they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

May she rest in peace.

• Advertisement

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. It simply means what on earth she could’ve done to deserve such a faith. Part of the culture of sins against god lead to him punishing you or karma if that’s your thing or whatever other god you want to pray to.

its certainly not a subconscious thing that women must deserve it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Like most, I didn't know her. Not sure me offering condolences here will be of any consolation to her poor family. I'll leave same to her friends and family on RIP.ie

I have huge sympathy for her, and all other women, men and children who have been the victims of violence. Like others have said, proper resources to tackle mental health issues and a judicial system that doesn't just act as a short-term revolving doors for offenders, would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Horrific and may she RIP. It just shouldnt happen.

I hope that the groups and certain journalists/media personalities are tackled for their obvious anti male agenda. They have hijacked this poor girls murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What concerns me now is this weird agenda about stopping violence in society, as if there is some magic bullet we just need to find.

Violence is part of our very existence, albeit an ugly part.

Solution? There is none. We just have to cope with and deal with and manage as best we can to try keep ourselves safe.

tackle each instance one by one. Deal with nasty and violent people as they present. Deal with them very firmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

It’s a terribly sad event, poor girl was going for a run at 16:00 in the afternoon and someone ended her life. We don’t yet know who or if this person knew her and it was a bitter ex or some infatuation that was rejected, or someone with mental health issues who shouldn’t have been out in society.

What I’m finding quite genuinely upsetting at the moment is this narrative that’s sprung from it that ‘men kill women’. Watching the late late last night and your wan’s literal words were that ‘men kill women’ and we don’t know what it’s like having to walk home with our keys in our hands’ or feel wary and uncomfortable if a man is too close to them in a social situation.

And there’s talk like all women go out and feel unsafe around men and even the Taoiseach saying ‘men and boys need to have the basic principle of value and respect for women’. I’ve these principles as my wife would confirm and my Mam God rest her soul would murder me if I even threw a sideways glance at a woman let alone made someone feel unsafe.

It’s the mass generalisation I’m struggling with, I think it’s dangerous and actually detracts from what has happened.

It feels as though the narrative being pushed is that all males are dangerous and we must change our ways.

67% of murders in the country are male victims, I can’t find out the percentage of perpetrators gender but that’s still 2/3 chance a male is going to be murdered than a female.

If this turns out to be someone mentally ill, does the narrative change to the state of our mental health service and why this person was out?

Where does the Gardai fit into all of this, violence has been on the rise for a while so where are they patrolling the streets to have some sort of visible deterrent?

The Justice system needs to look at sentences for violent crimes and start handing down terms that actually aren’t laughable as a deterrent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You are missing the point.

I’ve seen many women in my circle tell their own stories over the last few days about not being able to go out in public on their own. Ashling’s story has struck a chord with everyone.

Women want to be able to go out running without people passing comments, to walk past a building site without the heckling, the whistling.

She was going for a run. All women should be able to do this in peace.

no one is saying that the whistlers are murderers, but it’s a culture where men feel it’s ok to do this. On a thread on Boards yesterday, a man referred to a woman as a subhuman slut. Toxic behaviour like that needs to stop.

start from the bottom. Low level street harassment needs to be stamped out.

I don't agree with your take at all.

If we start at the bottom, as is your contention , making men more chivalrous will not protect women from occurrences such as this tragedy.

Starting at the bottom per your thesis should really entail things like:

More police on the beat. Possibly arm them.

Harsher prison sentences.

Some sort of a 3 strike or equivalent system that weeds out people with a litany of convictions.

Better mental health services.

Better services for rehabilitating juvenile offenders.

Promotion of the family unit (something we have lost). Too many one parent families.

etc etc

Making men not comment on women in yoga pants or whistling as a girl walks by is a glib reductionist solution.

It's the hashtagification of modern discourse.

Would you really advocate for a wolf whistle to be deemed a crime, and for cops to investigate? I mean, are we that fragile a species?

are we getting caught up in the ridiculously innocent and harmless and innocuous stuff here?

If a woman wolf whistled me I’d be fooking chuffed…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Low level street harassment shouldnt happen. But this young girls shocking murder shouldnt be used to promote and advance certain anti male agenda which is what is going on. Its not acceptable to label violence again women a male problem. If any other group of people were the target of such an obvious campaign it would be called out for what it is. There is no corolation between your post, what you describe and the brutal murder of aisling murphy. We need to make the country safer for everyone and one scumbags actions dont reflect an entire gender.

Could you stop using the generalising term ‘where men feel it’s OK to do this’ please.

‘CERTAIN MEN’ is what your message should be! Just as there’s ‘CERTAIN WOMEN’ who cat call men they find attractive!

This is not a one way street!

• Advertisement

Blocking someones path, shouting from vehicles at women or school aged girls (sickening!), WhatsApp groups, "banter". No doubt this is common in every town in Ireland. It seems harmless enough but feeds into this culture and no one is accountable.

Men feeling like they are on a pedestal and can objectify women. As a volunteer on a helpline, I hear too many of these stories.

I don't know the answers but I have concerns with my little nieces growing up. It's hard to know what to say. Of course great to see the outpouring of support but hope the family get some privacy now like they've asked.

There is another thread in After Hours asking "anyone else thinking of emigrating?".

Plenty of posts jumping to Irelands defence about how safe it is and how good our services etc are compared to the alternative locations proffered by various posters.

Then you jump into current affairs and you are being told women can't safely walk down the road in the very same country.

I don't believe we should deem a wolf whistle to be a crime however I can see how uncomfortable it could make some women.

I stand by my earlier comment that women don't need protecting from men because I believe the opposite creates a them versus us society. However I won't deny that there are problems when it comes to harassment. A lot of women continue to be on the receiving end so their world view is different to yours when it comes to a wolf whistle.

For me personally it wouldn't cost me a thought and I might just laugh a little. That's me though.

Even if all those things were eradicated this poor girl most probably would have died.

She was strangled in broad daylight at 4pm by a lad on a bicycle. This is a citizen being in the wrong place at the wrong time and meeting a psychopath.

It's not some microcosm of perceived Irish misogyny.

Again, I’ll ask can posters please stop with the mass generalisations and start saying ‘certain men’!

Believe it or not 49% of the world’s population aren’t all predators! Just like a small percentage of the remaining 51% are!

Except it isn't a culture where men feel it's ok. I'm married to a man and he certainly wouldn't be ok with it. Neither would my dad or my male friends. They wouldn't pass a comment on a woman or another man.

Some men would. Some men. Some men. Some men.

I despise that phrase “wrong place wrong time” used in these instances…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm 36, have never once seen any friend of mine make any comment/wolf whistle/hassle any woman in public. While some men may do it it's absolutely not accepted as ok by the vast majority of men in modern Ireland and making sweeping statements that it is isn't really helping anyone. The only thing I've ever seen actually happen is the typical lads WhatsApp chats that I'm sure are full of shít they shouldn't be, I couldn't tell you exactly what goes on in them as I personally have no interest. I can imagine the sort of stuff that is said in some of them and I'd be more than happy to see that kind of rhetoric die out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No one is saying it is all men. Where did I say that? It is clearly not all men.

Even on a thread about women feeling safe, some men are saying defending the whistling and shouting, saying women should be grateful for it.

It is some men, too many of them, but those some men need to stop it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement