Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You can add extra members to the subscrition, they will charge a one-off €10 for each card/member they add

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

My understanding, having asked Ecar NI,is that its not that they 'Didn't bother' painting both bays,it is,or was Deliberate Policy,because 'We don't want to Upset diesel drivers'!

The consequence of this questionable policy is that I've been pointing out to Ice drivers For Nine Years ,that they are in an EV bay,

The reply on occasions being,'They're nothing to tell me that here mate'

And They are Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just to note that only one car at a time can use the sub though, apparently. So if you swipe your card, the second and third card will not work until your session finishes. Unless theyve changed that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think we ever tried to charge using both cards at the same time so could be right. I had the two cards assigned to a different member, the wife had her own email address to log in to the app, billing would also say which member started the charge. Maybe you just need to set it up correctly so that the cards are assigned to members?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We tried in the past and failed, herself just ended up getting a separate account, same cost as another card anyhow

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

There isn't much saving paying the 4.60 per month though. If you have at home charging you would probably be better off with payg.

I just looked up my charge history for 2021 & just under 200kWh cost less than €60

I did over 13k miles for the year

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If both cars were infrequent users of the network, you could probably survive using a combination of card & app from a single account.. How slim would the possibility of both arriving at a charger at the same time be??

I am on the fence with the 4.60. I hate paying over the odds for anything.

But, with the Ioniq 28 we use a fair bit of public charging. Excusing the odd easygo or ionity topup of course. Looking at the ecars app from 01.09.2021-31.12.2021, we used 300kWh of energy and paid €95 for it as PAYG. Would that have been better off as non payg? probably but not by much and it includes the christmas travel. So it's not worth the hassle.

Older S with free SuC would suit you better

Not at the moment it wouldnt, most of our driving is dublin to meath, meath to wexford, or meath to athy/portlaoise, or to cork and back. Only the last one would be covered by superchargers. A dublin supercharger site would reeeeeeeally change that however! If we closed our sale+purchase in the morning I'd probably be on the phone to the owner of the gold S85 seven seater on donedeal.

To be honest we're using herself's Ioniq28 as our main car out of necessity until we move house and while the ioniq is a great car it's not a 200km range car so charging is needed. Luckily it charges super quickly.

• Advertisement

Sandyford SuC will suit you perfectly so

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Are there any ESB chargers going there too? The other sites seem to have 2 ecars chargers (eg enfield)

I doubt it, looking at the foundations when I was there a few weeks back it looks like two cabinets worth, also doubt eCars would install in that location with already available options near enough by

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Just going through the thread

Some thoughts......

It *should* be possible in future to buy an EV without needing your own home charger.

Having to have your own home charger is a barrier to potential EV uptake.

The wider EV network should be planned to allow for drivers NOT having a home charger.

For me it's about having very good availability in lots of locations of reliable chargers.

The exact charging solutions should vary according to likely user needs at a location or area.

Workplace carparks will suit 7 kw charging very well as cars parked there all day.

Ditto if going to a hospital in an EV future - slow chargers all over the carpark is more helpful then one 50 kw charger.

Aim of the game is to maximise convenient reliable traveling anywhere in the country by EV for every EV driver.

Using your local DC charging every 3 days for 30 mins (for example) as no home charger is NOT hogging the network.

Network is for all users in my opinion.

Re Castlebellingham - that's a key route between two citys (Dublin/Belfast).

So as part of a proper fit for purpose network going forward - you will have to have good charger availability.

Remember - anyone who uses the network is a customer of it.

Tesla as usual have it right - just roll up and supercharge and no one cares if you have home charging or whether you charge 4 times a year or 365 times a year. As it should be.

Just my little rant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rant or not your 100% on the ball

The wider EV network should be planned to allow for drivers NOT having a home charger.

I agree with everything you've said there @Old diesel but the question is who should plan. Councils and Local Authorities should be planning infra to ensure that their residents needs are met. They should be then contracting a competent company to build run and operate that infra. Councils shouldn't be selling charging services and charging service providers aren't responsible for planning civic infrastructure.

Hopefully we'll see some joined up thinking from the new project the Dublin councils have launched. Ideally they'll contract something out and we'll get one of the established continental operators move into the market and shake things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

They should not be a problem in future.

We regret to inform you that the Board of EcoXpress Operations Limited met on January 5th, 2022 and decided to place the company into a creditor’s voluntary liquidation, as it can no longer pay its debts as they fall due and does not have a reasonable prospect of survival. We would like to thank all our clients, ecowarriors and staff for their support over the last 12 months. We are currently identifying any undelivered parcels that are within ecoXpress depots, and will use best efforts to get these returned over the coming days. We will ensure everyone is kept fully briefed and informed as we have more information over the coming days and weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

Joined up thinking of council's is a few test lamp post chargers, one smart city site handed over to esb on John rogerson s quay, and only real big "public' site at pavilions shooping centre in swords all AC supplied by ESB.

I think council's do not have the budget or interest. Fingal has a lot of council EV vans and some EV cars, with non public chargers for them.

I don't think council's want or plan a lot of AC public chargers. Subsidising Dc chargers by council seems to be popular in UK and mainland Europe but they tend to be unreliable and lots of single chargers in non ideal locations.

It needs a step change and green party don't seem interested or committed. ESB are waiting for more free money and no one is pushing the car crash that is public charging. We are doomed, doomed I say

A small 9x4 inch sign was placed into the bay area indicating EV charging point,but the 8 foot scaffolding pole it was attached to was cemented into the ground so that the drivers door hits it if you try to get out of the car!

Could be a sketch from The Simpsons!

• Advertisement

Off topic (not me), volunteer or stop moaning..

Hey folks, we're a bit early but want to get ahead of AGM'22 planning. The AGM will likely happen in April as per usual. Lots more details to come, but we'll have our usual election process for committee members.

The current committee would love to have more diversity in the ranks. So, I'm putting a bit of a call to action for any folks here who would be interested in putting themselves forward to chat. Ping a reply here, DM on the Tweet machine (@ievoasso) or email me (pr@irishevowners.ie). Or if you see a filthy red Tesla M3 around, that's probably me!

"Volunteer or stop moaning"

I did volunteer for years! There is an inertia to change there. Hopefully it's better for the new committee but I have no intention of going back. Happy to remain a paid member

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wassie

At least not until the 'Man in a van' picks them up cheap in the fire sale.

Passed by John Rogerson's Quay there earlier today. Both chargers inaccessible due parked cars. In fairness some of them may have been plug-in hybrids, but no one was hooked up to the units themselves. Really epitomises the ESB rollout in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sent them an email about this. Got 2 replies today.

Thank you for your e-mail.

ESB not have any control over the parking regulations or road markings for EV parking spaces.

Parking would be the responsibility of the Local Authority.

You would have to contact the Local Authority directly.

If you have any further enquiries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Shane McCarthy

Dear mf

I am emailing you to provide an update regarding the charge points at Sir John Rodgerson’s Quay.

We have engaged with Dublin City Council who are responsible for the ground markings and expect the markings will be in place in the next few weeks.

If you have any further enquiries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Shane McCarthy

The ESB ecars Team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Even with road markings it still won't make a blind bit of notice and ICE vehicles will still continue to park there rendering the chargers useless.

That first response is actually pretty funny.

"ESB does not have any control over the parking regulations or road markings for EV parking spaces."

....So they decided it was a good idea to put in not 1, but 2 high powered chargers.

To be fair to esb, they did not pick that site, someone else did, then gave it to them.

Elm327 my comment was not meant as a person attack on you. Just aimed at those keyboard warriors that want change but just vent online. I am sure ESB have their own problems with funding, sites, viability of sites, similarly county council's have issues funding rollouts versus other needs. However they all seem to need guidance as many schoolboy errors seem to keep being made such as wrong sites for rollouts, wrongly placed chargers, no basic signage. I am not sure Irish EV owners association can make much of an impact but giving raw feedback on existing sites would be good. Like sir John rogerson s quay, why no put in AC chargers, site DC chargers somewhere better possibly on council land or at least where the spaces are not crazy busy all day long with ICE looking to park. Even a nearby paid multi storey car park would be a better option with a better chance of charger not being blocked.

Similar and confusing situations up in N.I.

All eleven councils need to meet and decide on parking for EVs.

Been waiting 7 years!

Another issue is that in S.Down,around half CPs are on private land,where permission for public use may,and has been refused on occasion.

Historically ,the tender for CPs was changed,and given to a Munich company,all eggs in one basket,they went bust.

Some said mother boards were being taken from some, CPs,to keep others working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Probably off topic

But it looks like EcoXpress won't be hogging the chargers as they seem to have gone into liquidation.

They must not have been charging enough.

Advertisement