Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion and Engaging with the Teacher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The evidence is in the thread. If you haven't bothered reading the thread, that's on you, not on me.

And I didn't say that an extra 91 hours of teaching time would make no difference. I said it would make no difference if the time wasn't used effectively, as is currently the case when they're supposedly developing literacy and numeracy. If the time being spent right now was being spent well, it would be plenty.

You're not pointing out anything. You've made something up. You should think about being less thin-skinned; it's not as if you even said the dodgy thing that led to the question in the first place.

A fundamental tenet? No, not really. Should they be going, sure, probably, but not going to mass doesn't disqualify you from Catholicism. As for how they can "pretend to be raising their kids as catholics", baptising them, sending them to Catholics schools, opting them in to the various Catholic sacrements? That doesn't seem like pretending to me. It's convenient for people like you to mention mass numbers, but as I've said before, there are loads of Catholics who don't go to mass regularly. The fact that they don't go to mass doesn't mean they don't have the right to say that they want their children taught properly.

It's not my skin is the issue here. It's your trying to make this about skin colour, because the cracks in your actual argument are being pointed out, and you've resorted to very thinly veiled ad hominem attacks.

There is about as much basis to your accusation as if I said you were only saying it to hide your own racism. It would be no less ludicrous to suggest so.

It's not about skin colour. It's about the biases of another poster. He's already said that if you don't go along with the Catholic majority you don't belong. I'm just asking about another majority. The other person body-swerved the question, and you're getting very shrill about it. Go on, off with you, I'm not wasting my energy. You do know you're not @Cyrus, don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Choochtown

91 hours could be used in a much more productive way than religious indoctrination and well you know it.

Not to mention the 1000s (and growing) of children who are losing 91 hours of any education because they've opted out of the indoctrination.

A disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BettyBlue22

Actually it might have as both one community and one religious school were closed in the process, but materially the number of students didn't change, Cappamore was closing either way, due to small numbers.

Between 2011 and 2016 the number of people captured on the census reporting 'no religion' increased from 6% of the population to 10%. But children between the ages of 0-9 were obviously included here. In 2011, 10k children aged 5-9 and 18k children aged 5-9 were reported as having no religion. In 2016 the 0-4 number was 22k, and the 5-9 group was 31k strong, or 8% of the child population between the ages of 0 and 9. It's also notable that this was 4 years before the baptism ban was lifted.

That number also excludes the many, many children of families who cebrate minority faiths and who also would choose to access secular educational provision in the absence of denominational education in their own faith, if that option was available.

Additionally, I know children over 9 are in primary school, however at the time I accessed this information from the CSO website those were the pre-set age categories available.

Post edited by BettyBlue22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not even 10% though. Most of the 10% non-RC schools are Church of Ireland.

Life ain't always empty.

Yet again in with your bluff and bluster and abuse but you are wrong, again.

The Spiritualist Association of Ireland is regarded as a "religious celebrant" under our frankly bizarre marriage celebrant laws which make it much easier for celebrants to get registered if they are "religious". The State getting involved in what is or is not a religion is absurd.

But leaving that to one side, most of the weddings the SAI carry out are not religious in any way. HSE don't do weekends and don't have enough celebrants, Humanist Association of Ireland don't have enough celebrants for the demand either, so couples turn to the SAI who are very happy to perform a wedding for you with no mention of any religion or spirituality whatsoever if that is what you want.

There's been a huge change in this in the last 20 years. Irish society has profoundly changed in many ways and marriage is only one of them. But our education system's "patronage" model remains firmly stuck in the 19th century.

Life ain't always empty.

Yes a fundamental tenet.

Here's a quote from the 2nd Vatican Council. If you are a Catholic , you'll appreciate how important a document it is:

“The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants). Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You have a great penchant for self delusion when it suits you 🤣 . You quoted a wikipedia article the other day yourself and then tried to say that the explicitly stated 47% figure was indeed more than half; and sure now the CSO official figure is wrong because, ironically, they aren't allowed to categorise what "religious" means. Nobody else is unless they use whatever specific definition suits Hotblack Desiato's particular guff at that point in time. That definition may be likely to change before the end of the sentence too.

You can't just go making up your own definitions and merging and splitting categories to suit your own guff. It's nonsense.

Sure I'm going to do that as well and include 40% of the 42% of civil marriages under religious because sure, in my imagination, those were people who were really religious but the churches were booked out and sure they invited a priest to say a few words at the ceremony. Voila - over 90% of marriages are now religious. Am I doing it right? 🤣

Gibberish.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So is complaining you can't get what you want without making any effort to get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

To be fair, that question might be better directed to the original poster who started this thread looking for advice on how to extricate themselves from a situation that they had gotten themselves into through nobody else’s fault but their own.

@[Deleted User] the idea of “no taxation without representation” applies to the idea of representation in parliament, not representation in education. Essentially - it doesn’t matter what anyone does or doesn’t pay in taxes, Ireland’s tax system is not based on hypothecation. Receipts by the Exchequer are not ring-fenced by Government for any specific purposes in the way you think. It’s also untrue to suggest that the State is practicing discrimination by providing for education in the way it does, because it does not discriminate between patron bodies who meet the criteria to qualify for funding.

Part of the issues stem from the fact that people who wish to be represented in politics where these decisions are made, just aren’t very well represented, and the odd politician who does take it upon themselves to represent them, just doesn’t give a very effective representation of themselves. I am of course referring to John Halligan. By his own actions he makes it impossible for anyone to take him seriously, which is unfortunate for the people he claims to represent -

(‘Incompetence’ doesn’t begin to describe him tbh)

The other issue is that parents motivations and ideals for their own children, do not align so neatly with other peoples aspirations for children who aren’t theirs. If a parent says to me they’re not religious themselves but they want their children to make their Confirmation, that’s that parents own business. I’m not particularly interested or concerned enough to wish to make further inquiries. I meet parents all the time who aren’t religious themselves, and they don’t describe themselves as atheist either (whatever PR issues the various organised religions have, the idea of describing themselves as atheist is perceived even more negatively), with most parents I’ve known who aren’t religious simply describing themselves as non-religious.

That leads into the third greatest issue which is that for parents who do not wish to support or have their children participate in any religious model of education, and also do not wish to support or have their children participate in the Educate Together model of education, their options are even more limited again, and even schools which are under the patronage of the Minister for Education (what would be recognised as State schools in other countries), even they do not provide a means for parents to completely avoid their children being exposed to religion.

So while I do support the expansion of options for parents in the education of their own children according to their values, world view or philosophy; in my view that shouldn’t come at the expense of depriving other parents of those same equal opportunities for how they wish for their children to be educated. The issue is that the necessary public support just isn’t there to support minority views, which leads to situations forming of an ‘unholy alliance’ as it were (pardon the pun), between groups of people with fundamentally different values, world views or philosophies, in order to achieve a common aim -

Problem is, there simply aren’t enough people who can agree on one single aim that they could actually operate effectively together to achieve that single aim on a national scale, and so the current situation will continue as it is for the foreseeable future as the alternatives just aren’t any more popular for individuals various reasons known only to themselves.

What evidence do you have in relation to what effort I have made to get what I want?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1) ALL ET schools are oversubscribed, upmarket, downmarket, nomarket - they all have a long queue of parents who don't want their children to be indoctrinated. And of course, as explained repeatedly, if I go outside of my own area, I'll generally be at the back of the queue because of catchment area rules. If again you are suggesting that I move house, that is STILL no guarantee of a place, so I could well move house and STILL find myself outside of the numbers for the ET school.

2) 'Take them out' for every prayer, for every alter, for every 'is there anything to be said for another Mass' event, for every nativity play, for every school choir event. My children (and the children of those who don't like the idea of indoctrination) deserve a full, rounded education, including cultural and social events. They're not 2nd class students, getting a few crumbs dropped from the table. They should get the same education, the same participation in school events - which should of course be designed to be inclusive from the outset.

3) Do 'a bit of organising' in the vague hope of following the path of one unnamed school from 10-15 years ago, which just might end up in a school being available in 10-15 years time. Which school are you referring to here? A solution that would work for my children rather than my grandchildren would be great.

4) Let them eat cake. Seriously, your solution to a problem with schooling to stop State provision of schooling for those kids all together? We're looking for solutions, not punishments.

5) 'Plan ahead' - would be great if you can provide a crystal ball to let me know where the schools will be in 5-10 years time, and what the enrolment policies will be, and where I will come. Otherwise, you're asking to me to make what is probably the most important decision any family can make, the biggest purchase of their lives, on the gamble of an available place? All because you're aiding and abetting the church to dig their heels in and retain control of education.

6) 'Stop being so dramatic' is the classic bully response. If you don't want drama, then get the church out of State schools. Why don't YOU stop being so dramatic and arrange your religious instruction on your own time and your own expense?

7) That's 'solution' 5 again. It's a huge gamble. You're asking families to gamble everything because you want to retain control of education to impose your own religion on all others.

Are there any actual solutions out there? Here's one - get the churches out of our schools.

All schools are over subscribed. They've been over subscribed for decades. Which why lots of people don't go to their local school, and commute to schools long distances away. Some people even move countries to access the education and/or religion/ no religion they want. Same the world over. People often do this before they have families. They find an area they want to raise a family It's not rocket science, it's not new. Ours not impossible.

Tbh when there was any compromise suggested within current resources, schools ye didn't want anything other than an unrealistic perfect solution and shut down any other possibilities. So why start a thread or keep it going if not interested in actually discussing anything.

What this thread is like someone painting themselves into a corner, then refusing to move until the paint is dry.

There's a point when you realize it's futile trying to help someone and best to leave them sort it out themselves.

For the record I don't think religion should be in public funded schools. But I'm past caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Are there any actual solutions out there? Here's one - get the churches out of our schools.

There are plenty of solutions out there Andrew, some of which are immediate and can be undertaken by the individual, and other solutions are more long term, undertaken by groups of people interested in offering an alternative to education provided in schools owned and run by the Church. That’s how the Dalkey Project came about, which became Educate Together.

By offering an alternative to Catholic education, they are undoubtedly a popular choice for parents who want that model of education for their children (with most of those parents themselves also being Catholic). It doesn’t have any impact on education provided by the Church, and seeking to deprive the Church of State funding is going to create the problem of children being deprived of an education consistent with their parents values, beliefs, culture and world views.

All you’re attempting to do is flip the script to make your problem everyone else’s problem, instead of addressing the issues that are a problem for you by establishing your own patron body, rather than trying to argue that existing patron bodies should be deprived of funding for providing education which isn’t in accordance with your values, beliefs, culture or world views.

It’s been the same throughout history from the time of the penal laws where Catholic schools were forbidden and schools were established that didn’t just provide education for Catholics, they provided education for the poor, regardless of their religious identity, and then the National Schools system was established by the British government. It appears as though you want to reintroduce laws which would deprive Catholics of an education in accordance with their own values, beliefs, culture and world view, and you’re offering what would be in my view at least, an alternative which I consider unsuitable for the education of my child.

I would support your education model for your own children, but you can drop the pretence that it offers any benefit to parents who do not share your values, beliefs, culture or world view. It’s unnecessary, particularly in light of the fact that the State is already meeting it’s obligation to provide for education.

Technically for anyone that opts out of religion class, the state meets 90% of its obligation to provide education.

• Advertisement

The solution is that they sort it out themselves.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's some waffle. You don't want them to be given any education pertaining to religion, yet you're going to moan that they aren't being given a full education if they aren't included 🤨

It's like trying to deal with a 2 year old. They don't want to sit in the high chair so will scream and cry to get out of it, but if you try to take them out of it, they'll scream and cry because you are taking them out of it.

All you are doing is trying, and failing, to mask your own intolerance and bigotry here. It's not that you actually care about your child being taught about religions, you just want to impose your own will onto children of others out os some weird bitterness. If you want your child to attend the class to learn about religion you can leave them in the class. If you want to take them out, you can. You make that choice.

You say:

ET's are oversubscribed => parents want non-denominational schools

But we also have that Catholic schools are oversubscribed. Therefore by your own logic:

Denominations schools are oversubscribed => parents want denominational schools

I'll let you in on a little secret. For 99.99% of cases, a school that is there today will also be there in 5-10 years. You don't need to be imagining things about crystal balls. Stop making excuses for being lazy and making life decisions that have obvious and predictable consequences that you already know in advance that you later won't like.

I stand corrected. You cut out the part where those who miss mass are excommunicated from the Catholic Church though. That comes next, right? Or at least it needs to, for the point about mass attendance to be relevant.

The indoctrination doesn’t take place in school. The indoctrination takes place at home. Religious instruction takes place at school. You know this.

You're right, it's not about skin colour, but you're trying to make it about skin colour, and trying to derail the discussion because you can't refute the other poster made. I'm well aware that they weren't directed at me. I'm addressing them anyway, because I was hoping you'd have the integrity to accept that you tried (and failed) to play the man rather than the ball, and that that was a slip. I assumed it was a slip because your previous posting had been well thought out. Apparently the only thing that slipped was your mask though. Fair enough, but at least have the integrity to admit what you're doing when you've been caught in the act. You're now calling me "shrill" (a term which suggests something about you which I won't mention, lest I be guilty of the same thing you are, albeit with actual evidence for it), so you're trying to be insulting rather than addressing my point. I'm sorry, but you don't get to isolate Cyrus so you can do him yourself. If I see someone making an unjust accusation, I will call them out for it, whether they've directed it at me or at someone else.

Do you blame the state if parents don't send their kids to school too? The state provides the education. If if it's not taken up, or if it's taken up elsewhere, that's not the state's fault or problem.

"No taxation without representation" is a slogan, no more and no less. The purpose of my using it in this case is to point out that public confidence in government-funded services depends on people generally having a sense that their money is being used in a reasonably fair, effective, efficient and accountable way. Note the adverbs in that sentence; the sense can be general, even if sometimes it's weaker than others, and the fairness, effectiveness, efficiency and accountability can be reasonable rather than absolute.

I could have lobbed in a slogan about the links between citizens' sense of confidence, the cost of services to their pockets, and their felt sense that services that matter to them are delivered fairly, effectively and efficiently. But it would have been even longer and even more tedious for the reader than what I did say.

But either way, we end up back in the same place. If the State takes money off the citizenry to fund government activities, and doesn't carry out those activities in a way that citizens can generally endorse, people will lack confidence - either in specific activities, the government generally, or in a worst-case scenario in the system in which governments are selected. And unfortunately Ireland does exactly what it shouldn't do, because we tax people on the same basis regardless of their beliefs but we still provide some services on a discriminatory basis. We know that's wrong, and we've even gone to the effort of making laws to say that government services shouldn't behave like that, but we still do it in some areas, especially schools. And as the numbers of non-Catholics grow - not just atheists, but others - the public confidence gap in the school system is likely to grow.

As to the rest, there seem to be two models out there to deal with the problem and have a school system that is less likely to lack public confidence. One is to increase the number of schools that offer different options in the system. The other is to completely remove religion from the school system. Both approaches are fraught with difficulty, but for me the latter option is simply a no-no. I am an atheist, plain and simple, but for me the idea that people who believe and who do want faith to feature in schooling should simply be told to feck off is just not on - because that's not atheism, it's sectarianism.

But the former option of increasing the number, range and diversity in the system is just too slow, and there is an unwillingness on the part of the government to say that "we pay the piper and we're calling the tune", and make changes to patronage happen quickly.

even they do not provide a means for parents to completely avoid their children being exposed to religion.

I'm not sure what this means. We opted for an ET school to avoid exposure to proselytising, but we never wanted (nor did we get) to avoid our child being exposed to religion. Why would anyone want that? Organised religion is a fact of the human condition. In a different way, so is faith. If you're not exposed to those and aware of what they are, your education is limited.

They know well that the more they claim, the more political influence they have.

Weekly attendance to mass is a fundamental part of Catholicism

The reality is that things that would have been regarded as absolutely forbidden 40 years ago are now commonplace in a desperate effort to maintain numbers; mothers getting married in church, mixed marriages, 2nd marriages, unbaptised children making their communions, atheists being married in non-religious ceremonies in catholic churches etc.

I don't agree with you on this point at all.

Edit: Although admittedly my experience is from a few years ago. I'd be interested to hear the views of a few national school teachers on this.

• Advertisement

Of course not.

I DO blame the state for the ridiculous amount of time allocated to the teaching of religion; far in excess of other European countries.

Advertisement