Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

From Electric Ireland if you don’t need a smart one ask them about the basic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

They advised I’ll need the balance loader because I have an electric shower. I don’t really care about the smart features to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be careful on car charge point install if you are applying for the grant, if you have the grant approval then grand but they do not allow any works to be completed prior to grant approval and the form the RECI has to complete for grant does contain a "were any works completed prior" section, don't remember exactly the way it's phrased

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

So what's a decent choice/price for a reasonably standard tethered 7kW charger with load management? I'm currently under contract with Energia if that makes any difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Thanks yes was aware of that and only did the install once I got the grant approval letter. There's paperwork from the approval letter the installer had to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Charged my new car for the first time on the EO Mini Pro 2. I entered the SoC from the car in the EO app and set the charger to come on when night rates were in effect. That worked perfectly.

However, once it was charging, the EO app screens looked like this (my highlights):

Obviously, the car couldn't be charging at 33A/7.6KW given that the charger is only rated for 32A/7.2KW. It also is impossible for the EV charge rate to be higher than the site consumption.

I had set the car to stop charging at 80%. When I saw in the EO app that the charging was continuing when at 82%, I stopped it. Went out to the car and saw that it was only at 76% SoC. So obviously the app thinks it's delivering 7.6KW when it's delivering less than that.

Any idea what the issue might be? I have a call in with the installer and with EO, but wonder if I'm overlooking something obvious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Car is correct, the charge point must be looking at electricity delivered whereas the car is telling you what went into the battery (exc. losses due to cable/heat/AC to DC conversion etc.).

I could be wrong in that but I thing the explanation has something to do with losses

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Also the charge point doesn't regulate the current flowing, it only instructs the car what to take, The car regulates.

wait, Site consumption is 2 amps lower than ev charge.

I wonder are the cts wired corrrectly. - @Sam the Sham , Next time the car is charging stick on the kettle and see how things change.

over night a house load of 2 amps, would be 400-500w, Is quite normal.

Possibly the car is charging at 31amps, and the house load is 33.

That would make a lot of sense: car at 31, house at 33. Obviously it can't, as a matter of logic, be the other way around. If CTs are wired incorrectly, I wonder if that means the load balancing is also not going to be working properly. Will have to get the installer to sort this.

• Advertisement

Very easy thing to test, charge the car (even now) for 5 minutes and like i said turn on the kettle. it will be clear as day if its wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

From what I remember of electrical engineering from my undergrad metering power is not trivial in terms of AC. Some devices will simple take current times voltage to calculate watts, but that's that's apparent power as opposed to real power. From memory you'd expect these measures to be within 5% of each other in Ireland, all things being equal. Key thing, even ignoring losses, there are lots of ways power can be calculated and it's perfectly reasonable for one device to show one power level and another to show something different as they are potential not talking about the same measure, this is especially true when talking about DC battery power versus house AC load.

True, but it’s really a discrepancy within the one device (the EO), which is supposed to be able to measure both the total load on the house and the amount drawn by the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Firstly. apologies if already answered, search function after boards' downgrade to vanilla doesn't work as I expected it to.

Will have Zappi + Eddi installed in near future, but no empty modules in my fuse box. How many modules are needed for the installation? Would 12 module box be enough? And future proof maybe?

Not sure if installers would provide one if necessary, and if they will, I'd rather avoid being ripped off for one. Seeing 12 module boxes @ approx 40 quid delivered perhaps I just buy one myself?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How far away from your fusebox can you install a pedestal charger?

As far as you want. The installer may need to put in a heavier cable to account for the voltage drop on a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Can anyone recommend the best value EV Charger on a pedestal?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I find it shocking hard to navigate compared to the old set up.

It would depend on whether you need a priority unit or not, I installed a Zappi that required a mini db due to no room in the main distribution board it was €1260 all in.

@mfceiling as far away as you want but as stated above it may require a heavier cable.

@russelldlee A pedestal can be used for any charger, I have provided custom pedestals for chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Hi guys, I'm looking to get an EV charger installed but got some questions about the process.

Do installers usually come out and survey the your house or do you have to provide them with the info? There is a part of me thats a bit worried that the house can't support 7kW charging.

How far away can you install charger from the fuse box?

Depends on the company, I fail to see how they can give an accurate price from a few pics. A on site survey should need to be completed to ensure that there are no underlying issues or any hidden additional costs. You can install the charger as far away as you want but the cable would need to be sized accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Thanks - I guess my question is then, what is the best value charger out there. Looking at Rolec, Zappi and EO? All seem pretty punchy. Was hoping to get all in for 600 EUR (eg. 1200 with the grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you can get a zappi or an EO for that, the pedestal will cost extra though.

Yes 1200 would cover a standard supply and install of a Zappi.

The key is in the words “standard install.” If your house is old or has old wiring, they may have to do a “periodic inspection,” which adds a few hundred. You may also need wiring upgrades (mains tails) or a new earth. Or the routing to where you want the charge point could be complicated. And if you want load balancing on the EO at least, that’s an extra cost. So I’d work from the idea that €600 is a minimum, not an average or certain price.

Yep sure is but that Is why you get a quotation as I stated earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I guess my question is then, what is the best value charger out there.

There is no single right answer to that.

It very much depends on what it is you want/need from the charge point.

"Best value" could be the cheapest most reliable one you can buy assuming you dont want/need load sensing, app support etc. i.e. a dumb charge point.

If you do need load sensing then the answer wont be the same at all.

Other people have additional requirements then also like the look of it, size of it, tethered or not etc.

I think you'll need your site survey first to see what your electrician says in terms of install (priority switch etc) and then decide which one suits you best from that.

What is load balance? Is it handled by the ev charger?

Priority switch - from what I gathered is to help prevent fuse board from being overloaded etc? Is this standard on install of an ev charger or is it something extra and depending on the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Load balancing typically means that the current going to the charger will automatically be reduced based on the load in the house. For instance if you have 60A for the entire house, and you start using 40A the charger will automatically reduce the max load it will pull from 32 A to 20 or less. When the load on the house reduces the charger will increase the current to the EV.

A priority switch comes in a couple forms including ones you need to reset, but the key difference is they cut off your EV charge completely if a specific appliance like an electric shower comes on. They won't install one unless you need one.

Al this stuff is definitely overwhelming, and while I agree withe the approach of not paying for smart features you don't need, I'd go with getting a charger that has load protection, it means you'll never run into the issue or overloads tripping your breakers and gives you the flexibility in the future should you add a power shower or heat pump to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is anybody charging there EV once a week? Curious to know.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Manion. Yeah I have no idea about electricals so I'm not really familiar with all the terms.

When you mentioned load protection is that the same as load balancing?

Advertisement