Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Pocket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Apparently mine was delivered today - I won’t be able to check until Tuesday. Tracking only updated at about 5 pm to say it was delivered at 11:30 and lists me as signing for it yet I’m out of the country…

Finding it hard to get a definitive answer online on whether this tariff is currently applying. There’s a lot of talk of a Steel/Aluminium tariff in the US that the EU responded to on ‘various goods’ from America (Harley Davidsons but also whiskey?) which is settled but might not actually change until Jan 1st.

I checked the eu TARIC site and used the code for video game consoles and it calculated zero tariff. It lists itself as an official EU site but also has some caveat about not taking the info as legal proof.

Best to get it confirmed from FedEx themselves I suppose. The email said my charge was ‘estimated’, I wonder if they over estimate do you get refunded at some stage?

Just hoping I can play the thing now - the only carts I have are an EZ Flash Omega and the X3 EverDrive. Seems like the EverDrive should be good but not sure about the EZ Flash. Will take a few updates as usual to get everything ironed out I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Just pay it using their portal otherwise they will hand it over to a company that will torment you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have these landed in folks hands yet? Any photos??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye.

Great little device so far with some caveats. Obviously the full implementation of the so-called Analogue OS is still down the line so there's none of the database etc, but on a functional level playing GB, GBA and GG it is absolute top drawer.

Dock is a wee bit 50/50 right now, nothing wrong with the video side or anything like that, but can definitely hear what is almost like arcing when removing the unit from the Dock. Doesn't seem to matter whether the Dock is plugged it or not. Lot of reports but no word from Analogue of yet. Just not something you expect to see. Must try it plugged in directly to a wall socket. Shoulder buttons on the Pocket itself are a little dinky but no more than an old SP.

Haven't put on the screen protector yet, but the screen, especially in GB and GG mode is a revelation. The ability to flick between the screen modes is and excellent touch allowing the extra customization between different titles. That scratchy GBA audio does get shown up though on the decent speakers of the Pocket but it is what it is. There is a high quality mode or filter but not messed with it as yet, or noticed much improvement. Probably needs firmware work. Audio from GB and GG carts is clear and loud.

Had heard reports of issues with Everdrive GBs that seem hard to pinpoint, but must have a fortunate combination of PCB and SD Card as I've not had any issues. GBA and GG variants work fine, as do any original carts I've been trying out - GB and GBA anyway (don't have a single GG original).

Overall, well impressed, and given Analogue's history of addressing issues via firmware, I'd expect any loose ends to be cleaned up.

Can be hard trying to get the screen across in a badly taken photo, but FWIW

Analogue GB mode

Default DMG mode

Game Gear gets a new lease of life

Don't have comparison to hand but similar to the GB, you can switch on the fly to GG LCD display mode etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really enjoying mine. Finished Castlevania 2 on it already.

Not impressed with the tempered glass screen protector which is starting to fall off the system already. Has a big bubble in the too right corner.

Yeah really enjoying mine as well so far, more than I expected tbh. Maybe it's because I haven't played a lot of these games but it's been the most rewarding device for me from Analogue I've gotten (had the SG & Super NT). Seems likes there's a lot of scope to add stuff as well if they fill out the OS. Only put the screen protector on tonight and was waiting until I had to properly play it but I'd been reaching for it constantly before that, it's been my go to device.

I see people saying the D-pad is registering diagonals - I haven't noticed at all but honestly I mightn't be good enough/familiar with the games to notice (I did see in Metroid II, first time I've played it, that sometimes when she was running her gun was pointing up but it just seemed a matter of treating the d-pad with this in mind - be a bit more forceful with the presses etc - rather than being hampered by it). However would be a nightmare if problems like this started I suppose, not sure how fixable they would be.

So far I've been using the original display modes and can't get over how good they look. The device seems designed with GameBoy in mind but the GBA games look fantastic as well. Would be nice if there is further display controls in future updates, I'm not too sure atm what exactly they all are. I'm using the original GBA display mode which feels like a waste but the SP101 seems too saturated to me. Not sure if they're the same except for that adjustable level or there's other levels in the background that you can't change?

Haha, yeah shocked how bad GBA audio is. The difference going from the pristine sounding GB games to that is rough. What a regression from Nintendo.

The battery is probably the thing I'm least impressed with so far. I'm using flash carts and the Omega is supposed to be power hungry but it seems like it's not lasting as long as I expected. Early days and maybe I've been playing it more than I thought but I'd be thinking 3-4 hours rather than the advertised 4-6?

Otherwise, touch wood, this seems like an absolute winner for me. I wasn't sure a handheld device was necessary - like isn't a lot of this type of stuff to deal with screen issues (PAL, CRT vs modern LCDs etc) and these devices often don't have them or can be modded easily but this with all the advertised cores (and a possible jailbreak)...

(some terrible photos I can't delete/rotate attached)

• Advertisement

Jesus I'm loving this thing. Not sure what happened with the battery but I'm 58% now after putting surely 5 hours in on multiple games/systems/flashcarts. If anyone's on the fence I'd really recommend going for it. Still available on their site with a wait that should be shorter than the original pre-order if they meet the timeline.

I may have had fatigue of the SNES and Mega Drive so by the time I got the Analogue products I wasn't that pushed - I'm not going to play through Zelda yet again tbh. So that may be adding to it but what the hell!? Like this Batman game for the GB, it's feckin brilliant. Please let there be lots more like this.

Tbh I'd be a bit of a fanboy for this company (ideal for people like me I suppose with no carts/CRTs etc.). Really think they go about things the right way though and when I see people complain about the price sometimes I'm honestly surprised. What you get for the money, I often feel they're priced too low, not far off some of the more advanced flashcarts. Good support as well - already an update (fixes something visual with GBA - 'nearest neighbour'? 'sub-pixel'? idk, that's something for you heads. Apparently it's good though!)

Got this case here for it and it's perfect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0741RG6J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess any 2DS XL case will fit so (this has a snazzy handle though so you would feel as home on the catwalks of Milan as you would, er, at home).

Honestly my favourite thing I've gotten this year tbh, nice end (and surprise) to a **** year. Just have to figure out what to pay these FedEx bastards now. Willing to take the fight for justice all the way to those fat cats on Capital Hill...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't find the box with the majority of my Gameboy collection in it. I'm really really hoping my parents didn't throw it out.

Found a few late Gameboy purchases I made though which also contained my gamegear collection which has quite a few great games on it. They look incredible on the analogue.

Now to try and hunt down the box with my entire Gameboy and Gameboy advance collection before I have to leave my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thoughts and prayers :eek:

I couldn't find my entire N64 collection a while back, was convinced someone had thrown it out - eventually my mam found tucked away in a Tesco crate under their bed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0s mum, looking for and finding his GB collection

That hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I found a few late purchases I had made along with my entire Game Gear collection. But this box has the majority of my GB collection and the entirety of my GBA collection which is quite substantial and has loads of rarities. It's in a very distinctive box. Couldn't find it but then it could have been moved to another box filled with wires. It's just they put my games in a place in the attic that is frustratingly difficult to get to so can't check fully. I might have another look whenever I get back or else wait until I move into the new house. I would say they aren't stupid enough to throw something like that out but then again my mam was also the one that decided my NEO GEO was junk and almost threw it out. It was only saved by my dad but he stored it for months in the shed and it's not powering up now 🤦‍♂️ Was hoping they would just leave the stuff alone since they know well I'll being taking it to my new house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is that the MVS you got from me?

I have an AES now, you peasant

Yep it was.

• Advertisement

Aww, that was a nice board, with controller inputs and everything.

Probably repairable, Bandit could probably get it working again, if he has the time

Yeah I'll see about a repair once I have everything moved.

Got a proper invoice from FedEx (ie something with an actual invoice number) in the post today - €50+/ 40% lower than the original email 'estimate'. Happy to pay it and seems like the right amount but maybe they were just chancing their arm at the start. I never followed up on my original complaint or anything, they just magically seem to have gotten it right when putting it down on an official document.

EDIT: Should add some (sideways??) pics to show really how great games look on this thing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Yes! Spoke to FedEx before Christmas and they said they'd be issuing a pro-forma invoice which would explain the "other charges", but nothing ever arrived. Today, I got my regular paper invoice (the original email didn't even have an invoice number) and this time they were asking for

Original Duty €1.72
    Disbursement Fee €15.00
    Original VAT €73.56
    Total €93.73

No "other charges" on the official invoice, so this new total was basically half of what they were originally trying to charge me originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm in Group B in terms of fulfilment order, which is Q4 2022. Maybe some Oracle of Ages for Christmas 2022!

Looks fantastic, though I'm not sorry I didn't order one now.

I've the Steamdeck and Playdate both ordered, so that's enough spending for this next while.

Got an updated invoice from Fedex and getting a refund for their extortionate fees. Must have been enough complaints about it that they have looked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

FYI my last three US shipments through FedEx have all resulted in an email asking for an amount of money and then a paper invoice a few weeks later asking for a different sum of money. If you paid the email amount, they don't chase up the paper invoice. This is why I was happy to sit and wait for the physical invoice before doing anything here.

Definitely worth querying them for a refund if you paid the "Other fees".

Oh aye....good advice at all times on imports regardless of courier.

They weren't too far off on my amount in total, about 40 quid, and had already chased back the disbursement fee (which was about 18-20 quid IIRC, don't have it front of me), so might leave it at that, bar an email, as opposed to more follow up calls.

On another note, loving this unit (pleasantly surprised with how much time Master System games are getting), but still waiting for word on the Dock, which doesn't appear to have the most reassuring operation when removing the device etc. Analogue slow to followup but given the email mountain they seem to be under with delayed shipments and returns etc, it's probably low priority. Just tending not to use it too much for charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Same, going to have to put a multi year ban on weird portable devices for myself to justify the price of the steam deck. Do kind of wish I ordered a playdate now though. Its unique enough that it might not feel like a waste.

Advertisement