Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you getting your child 5-11 vaccinated? Why/why not?

• 13-01-2022 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

On the fence about it, but the fact that as recent as a month or two ago the scientific advice, certainly coming out of the UK (on Yougov. no less) was that getting it was not recommended for under 12s unless they had a particularly vulnerable family member/were themselves very vulnerable - is making me think twice. If the case for vaccines is of the variety “parents need to sit down with their young (5 year old) child and have a discussion about it” (to quote a doctor in a recent Irish Times article) - well that just seems like they simply don’t know, in which case I look to the stats (such as they are available and as unclear/ill defined as they are) and the case for vaccination of healthy 5, 6, 7 year old, certainly in terms of pure known and speculative unknown risk/benefit to the child, seems unconvincing to say the least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

No I won’t be getting my children vaccinated as they have all had Covid some of them have had it twice and were thankfully ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No I won't be getting my 6 year old vaccinated. Covid has little to no effect on kids so there is no need to get her vaccinated. She has had covid and it was like a cold for her, shuck it off after a few days and was fine. Both me and her mam are triple vacc'd and we caught covid, it was mild enough for us. To tell you the truth only for my brother text to say my nephew test positive, we wouldn't have bother testing as we had it down to the after effects of the booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

No I won’t be getting them vaccinated, they had the virus only recently and it was a slight cough, healthy children are extremely low risk from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

No.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Yes - both (10 & 7) have had their first dose. I just feel that the higher the levels of vaccination, the better for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

no, both (4 and 7) had it back in August, theirs was even milder than both times i had it. 100% they dont need it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

No mine are 6 and 8 and covid was in the house and they still didn't catch it. Myself and my husband both are triple vaxxed and caught it and we made no effort to isolate from the kids and they still didn't catch it from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

No. Myself and husband have it now (isolation ends tomorrow). Kids (9 and 7) didn’t get it. Negative antigens and pcrs. My husband has no symptoms. If it was a year ago I may have made a different decision but as this strain is weaker hopefully we’re getting close to it being endemic. I also think maybe they had it already as we haven’t isolated from them at all and I even kissed them on the lips first day (had a false negative on an antigen).

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

No. It’s a no brainier to not vaccinate them at this point given what we’re seeing with the new variant.

-children mostly experience mild covid

-people vaccinated and boosted are still catching omicron.

-the argument for vaccination of young kids to protect older people no longer has any merit because of the above point.

-with the newer, milder variant the risks of vaccination outweigh the risks of infection which may well prove to give more immunity anyway

fully respect any parents right to do so mind you. Freedom of choice is important and needs to come back into fashion!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I can't imagine the take up will be high for the 5-11 year olds.

Currently 20% have registered.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

I wouldn't recommend it .... the effects of covid on children is a bit like the chicken pox..very mild effect on children in general compared to adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

not to long ago parents used to hold chicken pox parties to get the children infected with chicken pox. this would result in children getting a mild form of chicken pox but would gain excellent life long immunity., much better than vaccines...ditto ..covid

Not a hope. She doesn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I will have to get off the fence on one side or the other soon. 

Friend in work, he’s a rake of kids, they all got it, all recovered except, one who was always the fist up in the morning is now struggling a bit. He reckons in a month or two she’ll be fine. 

I’ve looked at the stats from the US, 8 million doses so 4 million kids, 30 odd serious adverse events, some seizures but most of those kids were prone to them. 17 cardiac issues all but 4 recovered and they are making progress, two deaths in kids that had serious underlying conditions so might not be vaccine related. 

Call it 40 in 4 million 1 in 100,000 chances if a problem in the short term. We can’t say long term.

What’s holding me back is well

The information from the HSE is so bad that it’s like they don’t want to engage with parents. 

They were wrong about the vaccine stopping transmission, what if they are wrong about safety in kids.  

Swine flu vaccine cases should not have taken 10 years to sort out. What if there is a problem with this vaccine. 

I see not real benefit for my kids apart from a vague possibility of the vaccine stopping long covid. But I can’t tell if it does? 

I want to do the right thing and feel some pressure to but I also think its wrong to give a vaccine to anybody which isn’t to benefit them but to benefit somebody else, aka to stop “Granny killing kids”. Also I don’t believe the vaccine will benefit 3rd party as it’s not stopping transmission. If you want protection, take it yourself and be protected against serious illness. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

100% yes

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

Yes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Definitely yes. The fact that kids usually only get mild cases is kind of irrelevant IMO. The sooner we stem transmission, the sooner kids can go back to having a more normal childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nope. Omicron has brought about the demise of Covid. It has in effect finished itself off. Kids are at virtually zero risk anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a 5 a 6 a 7 a 8 a 9 a 10 and a 11 year old and they are all getting the jab. I told them you need to toughen up. You're weak the lot of you. Crying over nothing. You little shíts.

I told them when I was your age I had to sleep on a pile of broken glass as my mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

Hope that’s a joke cos otherwise I’m gonna feel bad for laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Casati

Vaccine inequity is a such a massive problem, I read just before Christmas, only 1 in 4 Heath care workers in poor countries have received a vaccine - yet we are boosting everybody, and now vaccinating 5 year olds here as if it’s a virus we can control in Ireland without a care to the variants coming back from the rest of the world. It’s a big no from me

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Not a hope for my 3 children under 10. Not enough research/long term effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No. We're now told that vaccinated get covid, can pass it on etc. So it's only to minimise illness. Kids don't seem to get sick so don't see any reason.

In fact don't see any reason for healthy 20-40 to get it except to get a cert to eat out/travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Just on the point about transmission, you can still pass it on after being vaccinated but less so than someone who is vaccinated.

For example, take person A who hasn't been vaccinated and person B who has been vaccinated. Both contract covid at exactly the same time. Person As body needs to learn how to produce antibodies to fight & kill the virus and so the virus lives in their body until this happens. Person Bs body however already knows how to create antibodies to fight the virus so the virus is killed much sooner. In this way, person B has a much lower potential to transmit the virus than person A

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

No no no!! My aunt pediatrician advised us against it (AT THE MOMENT)

I am not gonna mention here about my and a family member side effects from the jab ..thats for another thread...

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I agree but I will mention the side effects I got. My penis shrunk 2 inches and I was speaking to an expert who said I will never get those 2 inches back.

Advertisement