Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you a link to research on population & congested infrastructure or a paper on how employment is affected by congestion or even something on population health and traffic congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Did you read the paper you shared: there’s a crucial line in the summary.

”we find positive effects of road density and road paved on total factor productivity (TFP) in countries with middle low and low income (using parametric and non-parametric estimations”

Is Ireland a middle or low income country?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As I said, it's gone under many names, Markpb has given you just one of the threads on here about it.

Thanks for the study, it wasn't that long of a read, and while I don't claim to understand all of it, I do understand that it mainly relates to low income agrarian economies with unpaved roads, and the upgrades of those roads. Galway is far, far past the point at which this study would apply. It also only studies road density and percentage paved, as proxies, but has nothing on road usage, i.e. public transport, BRTs, etc. I'd also question what it has to do with "population number control", as it doesn't seem to say anything on population growth at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Citing the M50 as something “that wasn’t a problem” shows an incredible lack of memory. We are now about to enter the third iteration of the M50: first was 2x2 lanes each way with at-grade junctions; the second was an enormously expensive scheme to grade-separate those junctions and add additional running lanes; the third is a managed motorway with variable speed-limits and the potential for per-kilometre usage charging in future.

It is demand for transportation that is linked to population, not demand for roads. Road space is only one mechanism for satisfying demand for transportation. It is, however, the cheapest in terms of capital spending. The alternatives (light rail, integrated bus network, etc) require ongoing operating expenditure, which is something that our government has always been very reluctant to approve. You would have thought that the lesson of Luas (which operates at a surplus) would have convinced the government that public transport can be something other than a drain on the exchequer, but old habits die very hard: fire-and-forget solutions like roadbuilding look like easy wins.

(I am fully aware that not all who would use the M6 could use a light rail system instead, but the key is to take the very many who could go by public transport out of private cars, thus freeing space on the existing roads for commercial users and those who have no other option but to drive)

• That thread started the same year as this one (2008), but has a total of 4 pages of replies, the last of which was in 2017. Not really a comprison to this one, current since 2008 and 144 pages in. We’re going to do one of two things. Demand the ring road or leave. I’m leaving.

not a fan of wielding a stick to those who “can but won’t”. We “can but won’t” pay for healthcare. We “can but won’t” work. Bang of libertarian “f*ck those scum” off of it. No good politics comes from those that target those who “can but won’t”, because those who “can but won’t” are usually considered utter scum by the speaker.

• Advertisement

We’re going to do one of two things. Demand the ring road or leave. I’m leaving.

Close the door on your way out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You do you. But trying to back up your position by claiming, without any evidence, that there are many more in the same situation and there are people not starting families due to the lack of a road tells its own tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I notice you lads have no solution for those in say Barna, Spiddal, Moycullen, etc, etc or do you suggest they also get ebikes. 🙄

And as someone who had to cycle across Galway city for a couple of years many moons ago, I can't say I enjoyed all those days of p***ing rain.

• Uh, Housing Crisis where the options for homebuilding are severely limited even to those willing to live in a cookie cutter or shoebox?

proving my point about people being driven out of their homelands like evicted tenants there….

proving my point about people being driven out of their homes like evicted tenants there….

I haven't driven [sic] you anywhere nor have I done anything to drive other people out of their homes (you're being seriously melodramatic hre!). You made a decision to leave and I then posted a glib remark. Don't blame others for the decisions that you make!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Good grief. Why is it that whenever anyone suggests that -some- people could cycle, someone immediately responds with an example of where cycling is less viable/not viable? No-one is suggesting that we rip up the existing roads and replace them all with cycle lanes. We're just saying that there might not be a need to build a whole new road if some of the people have suitable alternatives. That leaves more road space for the people who do have to drive.

• Nobody ever asked about specific locations but here ya go.

Barna is on the cards for a greenway/segregated lanes from there to the city. The first part of this is the trial bike lanes going into the prom this year.

Moycullen is on the Clifden to Galway greenway route. Several sections are at various stages of design, planning, funding etc.

Spiddal, I know they are looking to promote the WAW as a cycling tour but I've no idea if that includes segregated infrastructure or just paint or nothing at all. There's not a lot of detail on this yet as it's very early days.

As for ebikes, that's an entirely personal choice. Personally I wouldn't get one for Barna - Galway but would for Spiddal - Galway. I did Spiddal hundreds of times when I was a young sprat (young love ahh) and I hated the stretch between Barna and Spiddal. It seemed like the wind was against you in both directions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think that roundabout could be remove without building the GRR. For some reason the motorways always appear to end in a roundabout. M17 ends in Tuam in a roundabout - why?

The Moneenageisha traffic lights were replaced with a roundabout and then the roundabout was replaced with traffic lights. Neither solved the traffic problems. Great bit of planning that.

When they were working on the railway bridge on Lough Atalia Rd, they put in a one-way system that improved the traffic flow, and once the work finished they put back the poor traffic system. Great bit of planning that.

I hope that if the GRR goes ahead, it does not turn out to be another example of Galway's great road planning.

@Sam Russell I think this shows that the problems in Galway are not caused by road capacity: each change to Moneenageisha increased the capacity of that junction, but very quickly the traffic overcame it.

I see Galway’s primary problem being that people have no option except to commute by car. Public transport provision in Galway is tiny, and the dispersed population west of the city makes it hard to service with buses (plus, buses have to fight with other traffic, making them less attractive than sitting in the same traffic in your own car). If you gave me the budget, I’d run an fast light-rail along the coast here, with P+R parks at every stop: drive to the station, park for free, get the tram into town. It’ll be a better option for enough people that it would free up road space for those for whom driving is still the best (or only) option.

As for the roundabouts, TII design guidelines suggest using roundabout junctions where the road standard changes (it’s explicitly part of the design standard for going from 2+2 to single-carriageway): I imagine a simple merge or tapering would result in traffic where drivers who were not paying attention to the end-of-motorway markers, and so are still travelling at 120km/h, mixing with those who were, and have slowed down. Sometimes, like at M9, the roundabout is a relic of a plan that has not happened. (I believe that M9 was to have continued seamlessly onto an updgraded N24, with that roundabout being the exit for N25)

@Ulises Damp Bubble I have no idea what part of my post you’re referring to with the below. Care to elaborate?

not a fan of wielding a stick to those who “can but won’t”. We “can but won’t” pay for healthcare. We “can but won’t” work. Bang of libertarian “f*ck those scum” off of it. No good politics comes from those that target those who “can but won’t”, because those who “can but won’t” are usually considered utter scum by the speaker.

• It’s the whole thing of focusing on those who “can but won’t” take a bus.

When you focus on those who “can but won’t” work, you get “welfare cheats cheat us all”

When you focus on those who “can but won’t” pay for their own healthcare, you get people denied healthcare who need it but can’t prove it to the accountant.

What happens when we focus on those who “can but won’t” take public transport?

Far better to have access to all, and then charge for the extravagances. Far easier to tell a car driver to pay for the privilege of driving a road than tell an ambulance to drive through a field & riverbed…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Building better PT will mean that those who can't do anything but drive will hit less traffic - while the rest who can take advantage of mass transit, will, because its quicker/easier.

Building a 600million euro road around the city to distribute traffic will not make things better, it will be overcome with traffic within 5 years and then the car drivers will be begging for another road!

• Like how the papers are filled to the brim with “drivers” screaming blue murder about the DOOR M45 to replace the M50? Pull the other one…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The papers were - how short is your memory?

There was plenty of demand for an outer M50, but eventually it died off as more people realised the problem is distributor traffic. Exact same as Galway - problem is distributor traffic not bypass traffic. Its people trying to get into the city, or go from 1 part of the city to the other. Public transport should facilitate that, not more roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

Great post - I think the difference between your view and @Ulises Damp Bubble is that you are for Park & Ride.

While if the GRR is not built Sealacker is for Packing Up & Not Riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Don't see many recent posts since the above warning on this forum being: on the subject of the construction of the road as granted PP by ABP; or decisions on funding and contract aspects.

Just the same old arguments going back and forth.

• Advertisement

[ deleted ]

@Limerick74 Fair point, and apologies for contributing to the problem.

I do think that perpetually delaying funding is how they’ll quietly can this project, but it’s a shame that this strategy will block and delay any other investment in fixing the problems that already exist around the N6.

• I thought I saw that posted somewhere but couldn't remember which thread. Even looked before I posted regarding cycling from barna, Spiddal & Moycullen.

I've started a thread on this board to carry on the discussion. Folks are free to wander over there and discuss whether this road is a colossal waste of money that won't fix a thing and instead make things worse or a necessity required to stop Galway dying under a blanket of cars

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Are you seriously saying people living in say Barna should now cycle to work in Ballybrit or the same with Moycullen?

The problem with traffic in Galway is not frekaing tourists or people out for a jolly, but people trying to get places like work or for business.

Sure it was such a pity that they hadn't the greenway in place so people could cycle across the city to get their covid vaccinations. 🙄

I must tell a few people I know that have to traverse the city for work that they will get a greenway.

FFS.

Yes cycling is ok for short distances where there are roads set up for it.

A lot of the people stuck in Galway traffic are not living in the environs of the city, but outside and have to cross the city.

And no before the usual whining a lot of them are not living in one off houses in the middle of nowhere, but in towns and villages that offer cheaper property and accommodatuion than are available in Galway city and it's suburbs.

Maybe they can really live the green dream and have one car in the village to share. 😯

Besides that some people actually want to live in the area they grew up, persih the thought for them having such outlandish ideas.

• Happy to continue to discuss it further in the thread linked above but I will just point out that Barna to Ballybrit is 12km, that's not a crazy cycle by any means. According to Google maps that's a 40 min cycle, I'd wager you'd do it in 30 mins or less on an ebike. Could you do it in that time during peak hours in a car, highly doubtful.

As I said, happy to continue to discuss this in the other thread per mod request

• Just to say Dominik Flabby Pantry is right to put this discussion into its own thread. Healthy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Maybe we could spend the money on putting a canopy over the existing roads for cyclists for the winter months. This would work well with the green party one car in the village brainwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OpinionN

Or we could take that discussion....to a new thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As expected, a Judicial Review of this approval has been lodged.

• Not gonna lie, pretty happy about that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

A JR was inevitable given our dysfunctional planning appeal system but a shame nonetheless. It's a shame for the people of Galway, as this effectively freezes the Galway Transport Strategy for the coming years, and essentially eliminates any realistic chance of radical redistribution of Galway's road space. The ring road will remain just as necessary after the JR concludes, but it will only continue to increase in price, and will just be delivered instead by an SF/FF government at greater expense several years down the line.

I guess the rest of us will benefit from increased road funding though in the meantime, so maybe Galway's loss is the rest of Ireland's gain. Is olc an ghaoth...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement