Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone thinking of emigrating?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a housing crisis in Australia. You need 13 times salary in Sydney to buy a house.

Housing affordability, meaning returning to an environment in which, as was the case in the 1960s that young people could buy a home in Australia and in the UK for only 3-4 times salary (it’s now 9 in London and 13 in Sydney), can never be achieved in the current conditions in these countries: whatever the planning system does.

Yea because the whole of Ireland is based in two counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its looking like the UK for me.

Its all about the mentality. The British might be arrogant bollocks' but at least they have a bit of push about them, while it is clear that the Irish are nothing but cowards who embrace their own mediocrity.

I have lost a lot of respect for the Irish people this past few years, pissy little event junkies going nowhere and achieving nothing. The government is a disgrace but I don't believe that happens in a vacuum, government is always a reflection of the people and so this country is what it is because that is what the majority want.

What I'm hoping will happen is that the EU will introduce work from.home anywhere in Europe and make it easy for companies to register their employees abroad.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

In home for a few weeks having not been home for 2 years.

a few observations:

Holy crap it’s expensive! I know prices in the States have increased crazily in the past two years but ireland is mental. I have taken out 2000 euro in two weeks and barely have anything left.

petrol/diesel …in a word wow!

housing… I am one of the lucky ones who can afford to purchase a home and did so a few years ago. Now, I am looking at the prices outside Dublin and comparing them to places like Miami (southern suburbs), Dublin prices are on par with majorly expensive places like Miami central, Chicago and suburbs LA…it’s crazy!

wages in ireland seem as if the vast majority of friends are surviving rather than thriving.

tax on everything is crazy. Someone mentioned property tax, that’s true we pay heavy property tax in the US, however, this can be rolled into your FIXED mortgage with rates of around 2.5-2.8%, I Pay 8k a year in property tax, but I get serious services for that. Roads, snow plowing, water, waste collection and a say in how that money is spent…local elections, city meetings etc.

tv tax, car tax, now housing tax, tax on alcohol and cigarettes which is very high. Vat on everything “luxury”…yes we have sales tax but it’s around 7% in most states, some have no sales tax, it’s not 23% of everything you buy outside of groceries.

my partner and I sat down the other evening to ask how we could possibly afford to come home (my goal). We couldn’t do it full time. It’s too expensive.

how the younger generation are being screwed in Ireland is shocking. Rent is unaffordable. Mortgages are unattainable for most. It means they are locked out of starting families and making a life for themselves like we did.living at home with mam and dad is just placing someone’s life on hold.

i can honestly say, I miss home, I miss family, I miss friends, I miss the culture, I miss the food, I don’t miss government, the lack of opportunity and counting every piece of expenditure.

in the States, the freedom for me is not worrying about affording something like I do in ireland.

Ireland SHOULD be the best country to live in the world, but something radical has to happen to stop its brightest future people from leaving to find work and opportunity elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

That was only a sample, you implied 50k a year wouldn't get you a mortgage, 50k will get you a mortgage and there's plenty properties there to buy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Sydney isn’t the place people head to first anymore, places like Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide have developed a great deal the past 20 years are fantastic places to live with loads of opportunities for careers in healthcare, banking and IT to name a few. Plus, property prices are very reasonable for what you’d get compared to a property here for the same price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Does your company have a Spanish presence? If not then it’s not that simple, they’ll need to setup a shadow payroll in Spain to pay their Revenue your Tax and Social and very likely be open for Corp Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There is a rent/housing crisis in many parts of the world, it's just quite severe in this country

Petrol/diesel are high in other European countries, it's to do with global supply (I regularly travel on the continent)

Health care isn't great, but again, it's relative to other countries.

There's plenty to do in Ireland, it's really just a frame of mind. Likewise when you move to another country, you're convinced it's a bed of roses, it's only after a decent period that you realise most countries are similar and it's what you make of them. Economically, socially, politically, there are many, many countries far worse off than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭PeaSea

All the time, have done on and off for 25 years now (though I'm in NI not Ireland). Places we have thought of going over the years include Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, France and Ireland. Usually places with a good IT sector for work plus my French isnt bad. Thats seriously thinking, as in getting forms / deposits / etc, not just idle dreaming. Problem is its a big step when it comes to the practicalities, living away from parents and friends. Also everywhere has its good and bad points, nowheres perfect.

Once kids appear theres loads of reasons not to go - they dont want to leave friends because friends are their whole world when young, or you dont want to mess with their exams when a bit older, or you're forcing your change on them when they're difficult teens or you're faced to living in another country from them if they decide not to go. Nightmare. If you're going to go the time is pre kids, certainly before they're in school. Maybe even pre marriage because getting two people as committed to the idea is rare enough.

At this stage I'd settle for a 1 bedroom apartment in Southern France or Spain for future retirement lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes you're right about all that but with pubs semi-permanently shut and MUP our culture now revolves around.. nothing at all. It doesn't even revolve around not getting covid since everyone is now getting covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭PeaSea

The current UK government is the most untruthful, corrupt and self-serving bunch that I have ever seen in Western Europe. As you say, government is a reflection of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

I might emigrate to Dublin go on the dole and get a free council house or social house if you’re posh and be like the rest of them. Working is for fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The early 30s are the generation who got helicopters to their communion / confirmation. Zero sympathy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

My time has passed unfortunately. I have dual citizenship so when I was younger a plane ticket was all I needed and I was in the US the next day. Did it a couple of times when things pissed me off in Ireland when I was younger. Quit my job on a Wednesday, booked a flight on Wednesday night and was in a job in New York on Friday evening.

I’m now married, bought a house and the lure of packing everything up and setting sail is not there any more. I think in the next 10 years it could become a possibility again depending on how bad things are in Ireland at that stage. Despite all its flaws, the prospect of setting up shop in a state with good weather and a salary two if not three times higher than Ireland for doing less work is a good draw and I would think I/we will probably end up giving it a go at some stage.

I think I’d definitely like to retire in the US if I have enough money by the time I’m 60 I’ll do it if we don’t move beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ireland has the 13th highest salary in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

I emigrated for a few years to the UK. Nothing mad exotic like Australia, Canada or The States and relatively close to home but I would recommend the experience to anyone. Learned a lot about myself and it definitely teaches you what it means to be Irish.

I really like Ireland but the way it is run is idiotic. It’s sad that people have to go abroad to get the opportunities they need. On paper we are one of the richest, greatest countries in the world but people still have to go to the four corners of the globe to get a leg up.

Voting in left wing politicians and parties will not fix any of the problems (it’ll exacerbate them) It’s just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Yep, Because 11 year old kids rent choppers regularly, nothing at all to do with the generation that went before them

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭B2021M

I think the point is that they might end up with higher expectations as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ireland is about as conservative as Cuba. But without the health system. Or the sun.

• Advertisement

Yea, and my point is that it's the fault of the morons that raised them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

My better half and I have been toying with this idea for a couple months now.

Both working/living in Dublin, rent is €1,600 and our jobs pay well.

Being from Dublin, I want to live in Dublin. Friends/families/sports clubs/hobbies, etc all revolve around living here. We've spoken to a mortgage broker and basically told no chance for what we are looking for. Honestly, it's nothing huge or anything, we're practical people.

Quite disheartening. Everything is getting so expensive right now, weather can be miserable. Ireland has its beautiful spots but we found a night or two away down the country, we get fleeced just to have a roof over our heads. I find Ireland has become progressively worse and towards a nanny state, I don't see how it will get any better right now either. Parties in power come across as dishonest, crass and unwilling to give a shít about anyone but themselves. Oppositions seem worse. Serious lack of hope.

Somewhere in the EU is our plan but nothing concrete right now. Be interested to hear where others are thinking and if it is actually viable.

Go to Mexico and walk over the border. Or if you want to do it in style, get a horse and ride over the border into Tejas. Once over, sell the horse and order an uber to wherever you want to go. Job done.

Maybe "they" (I don't know anyone who had a helicopter for their communion) had the super high expectations of not graduating into an economy with 15% unemployment. Crazy bastards. :P

Ireland's core problem is size. It limits opportunity. Plus, life on a small island nation is not for everyone, reagrdless of how the place is being run or how wealthy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If I was in my 20s and had no ties then yes, I'd be gone. However at double that and with a pre-teen child I'm stuck here but I am increasingly frustrated and disillusioned by what I see:

• The housing crisis. Stupidly I didn't take the "Free Money" in the Tiger years because I worried about what would happen if I couldn't pay off 250,000 on a <30k salary or the dole if I lost my job (which I did in 2009 - little did I know I could have just cried poverty and "they made me do it", paid a fiver a week and kept the house!) so I'm stuck renting. I have a decent landlord and a good rate at the moment but no security and I'm watching similar houses be sold to the council (2 on my row) and social tenants installed. My taxes are subsidising this when I can't afford a place myself as a single income earner
    • The reaction to Covid. Forgetting lockdowns and restrictions for a moment, I'm talking more about the attitude of people that it's brought out - the virtue-signalling and curtain-twitching, the attacking any opposing viewpoint, the fear and blind compliance.. it's like the days of the Catholic Church all over again!
    • In a similar vein: the way Irish society has soaked up the absolute worst of social media - particularly America's culture wars/identity politics and "with us or against us" mindset on a whole range of issues. Take immigration as an example - a serious issue that will affect this country for generations to come and in a time when we can barely run the State we have, but if you question the approach you're immediately denounced as "racist" and ignored - or worse, penalised in the real world. Things like the latest outcry over something as trivial as "Operation Transformation" being discriminatory against "people in a larger body" (direct quote from the petition - WTF does that even mean?) and the associated "cancel culture" crusade etc.
    • The Government. Thanks to a series of weak but vain Taoisigh (Kenny, Leo and Micheal Martin in particular) we've had an even-more-ineffective-than-usual series of Governments, tinkering at the edges on the "feel good" issues, but ignoring (or making worse!) the real problems this country faces in housing, health, cost of living generally, wealth inequality etc. We'll end up with SF next as a protest vote and that will be an outright disaster for any normal hard-working stiff in this country

I could go on, but the short version is that I no longer recognise this country in many ways and certainly don't feel welcome here in many respects. I probably will try to move somewhere else when the little fella is old enough to be doing his own thing, because I don't see any signs of things turning around here in the meantime - if anything the problems are likely to increase and accelerate!

Have only visited and a couple of friends were there for a while, but if Ireland is the long-term plan then central Europe is worth checking out. Beautiful historical cities, low cost of living but access to everything and more than in Ireland. Cheap enough so you can rent and save proper money to buy in Ireland within a few years.

I'm aiming for the States but just below that on my list is Spain (northern part, I couldn't handle the heat) because there's cheap flights and the ferry is also an option for moving. Bit less to do that other bits of Europe but weather apparently makes up for it. Then Central Europe.

I’ve lived in plenty of parts of Europe on and off and some of the comments here are a tad “grass is always geeener” or seem to imagine the pandemic isn’t happening anywhere else.

Spain has a lot going for it - but you’ll rapidly find the salaries are too low, the tax isn’t low, accommodation (relative to income) is expensive and it’s extremely bureaucratic - try going self employed! It’s like the tax authorities immediately assume you’re trying to defraud them. A friend of mine trying to get a small business off the ground had to hire a full time administrator (in a business with 4 employees) and was audited 3 times in one year without any justification.

France - tax, tax, tax and more tax on the tax and painful bureaucracy. The weather’s fine in summer. However, for most of the country the place turns to a west of Ireland like Atlantic mush in the winter, only without the colour and vibrancy. A lot of rural areas are so dead you’d wonder if they were abandoned and the cost of living is high and rental etc is soaring in large, attractive regional cities like Bordeaux, Nantes, Lyon etc. Paris was always nuts. There are beautiful places but, they’re expensive. Also rural France in my experience is a lot more conservative than 2020s rural Ireland.

Belgium - bureaucratic nightmare at times and nanny state. The police came around to check your name is correctly spelled on the door bell. You can’t put your washing machine on after certain times. If you’re self employed, eg working freelance, you have to collect VAT numbers for every bill paid to you (no matter how small) and produce all of them on OCR forms to their Revenue. Very high tax. Accommodation is a bit cheaper, but cost of living is high. Mobile phone service as very expensive compared to Ireland (or practically anywhere else.)

As for the USA, it’s fine as long as you never ever engage with politics or turn on the news. Seems to be one endless culture war and some of the southern states are nuts. Would you really want your daughters growing up in Texas wheee they could get pregnant and possibly sued / criminally charged for seeking an abortion? Or have to deal with receding LGBT rights driven by religious fundamentalists? We got away from that stuff in Ireland but they seem to be going backwards in certain US states.

Ireland’s main problem is housing costs are getting totally out of hand, particularly in Dublin due to lack of supply, rapidly growing population and probably a hang over from 2008. If you’re not in Dublin particularly the rental market, it’s not that bad.

Pressure from speculators is a thing in a lot of places at the moment too. Dublin (and Cork to some extent) are feeling that. You’re seeing it in French cities, in Canada (far more than here), in popular parts of the USA, New Zealand and Australian prices are also absolutely soaring. That’s being driven by a broken global financial system and money flowing into bricks and mortar because returns on other steady investments, bonds and interest rates are so low it’s ridiculous. So that money has flowed into real estate.

My sense is we’re due a fairly large global financial bang from COVID. There’s an unreality at the moment and something is going to give eventually.

Regarding Irish health. If you analyse the figures, around 33% of our health spending is probably social spending that we classify as health because of historical responsibility of health boards for many of those areas.

We don’t pay anything like the amount of social charges levied on the continent, and VHI etc is relatively cheap. My view of it is Ireland lives in cloud cuckoo land on health. We aren’t willing to pay for a proper system, but we aren’t willing to analyse or discuss the true costs, or the possibility of very serious reform like moving to a continental style universal insurance model, so the circus rolls on and on and on. That’s definitely a big disincentive to living here.

The plus sides for me: It’s very open minded, liberal, live and let live and socially progressive as a 2020s society. There are good employment opportunities, with decent income. State services are very pro enterprise and things are accessible. In normal times vibrant cities and towns, increasingly interesting foodieness that isn’t locked in some fixed tradition (France, Italy etc). It’s very active, artsy and people seem to get involved in a lot of things.

You can have a good quality of life and if you want access to sunshine, it’s not far away and it’s cheap to get to. You also don’t have to live in Dublin.

I think one other issue if you’re in a place your whole life you don’t engage with it the same way as seeing it with fresh eyes. New places are exciting and you don’t initially see any of the cracks. Old places - you see everything, including the annoyances of politics etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

It’s a good question.

I’m living in Germany at the moment, but, as I am working remotely, I could technically be anywhere in the world. And my projects and sleep patterns are weird anyway.

Where to go!?! Somewhere sunny and with an ocean or sea and preferably with English speaking people.

Malta is surprising expensive, so any ideas much appreciated!

• Advertisement

I’d say it’s very unlikely that you’ll be able to do that as it would just result in people remote working, cherry picking systems - social services and infrastructure etc would fall apart due to lack of tax revenues.

As it is, you can’t even do that between states in federal countries in a lot of cases.

As idyllic as it might be if you could do it, it isn’t likely to be politically feasible without a significant base somewhere.

That being said, the large corporations and super wealthy already do it with tax avoidance structures.

The EU in particular is odd as there are huge cost and income discrepancies between countries, south to north and east to west.

It could ultimately just balance those out though and you’d find things would eventually even and the income and cost gaps would vanish.

Advertisement