Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I’m sorry to hear that bit still personal abuse is not justified. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

I don't believe long covid doesn't exist. But...the fact that we barely hear about it when the case numbers are high and when the case numbers drop it suddenly reappears is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Case numbers are pretty high right now and we're hearing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Well this is it folks, covid coming to an end with omicron, I know of about a handful of unvaccinated people with omicron and they wouldnt even think of taking time off work with the symptoms as they are so mild.

Should we not now be planning an exit strategy, or is it too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It’s not just about old age though is it? Obviously people lived to old age just not as many as now. Look at the diseases and chronic conditions people are living with today all thanks to modern medicine. I would guess nearly every poster on this board has family and friends who are alive today thanks to modern medicine. An example is to look at what a game changer insulin treatment was for those with diabetes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭corkie

Omicron & The Endemic Phase of COVID | A Doctor Explains

Dr. Zubin Damania, MD is a UCSF/Stanford-trained hospital doctor and host of The ZDoggMD Show, dedicated to Alt-Middle sense-making in healthcare and beyond.

An actual MD for a change, as some people where taking issue with an educated (PhD) retired Nurse?

Edit: -

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Good points. On the issue of lab escape: if true, you can be fairly sure these viruses came from captured wild animals and then lab tested for virus efficacy through maximisation of potential, ie, see what these babies could do under various conditions, first in vitro then in vivo, with...mice. It is with some irony that one of the potential starting points of Omicron is mice or hamsters. Im pretty sure the conspiracy crowd have already jumped on that one. From wild animals to lab mice to humans to mice and back to humans. Merrygoround, mutations galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Maybe you should take a break from posting, you seem too angry to have any reasonable discussion.

Anyway, ICU down to 84 this evening, 7 discharges 2 admissions. Once the legacy Delta patients are discharged this is over. Restrictions will no longer be justifiable. Normality will resume, can’t wait.

Long Covid IS a thing with plenty of evidence. Before Omicron we saw the kind of cytokine storm/organising pneumonia affecting the lungs. As the lungs have a rather thin barrier between them and the blood the immune system inflammation often spread all over the body to the organs, the brain causing long term issues, ie long Covid. The good thing about Omicron that most of the viral reproduction stops at the upper respiratory level, at the bronchus so it really diminishes the long Covid aspect connected to lung inflammation.THAT is actually why it is considered milder as opposed to the vaccination and immunity factors having the biggest impact. Vaccines and boosters do help somewhat but it is, as i keep saying, a matter of small degrees in a multi factoral equation.

But we are apparently children who shouldnt be bothered with all the complexities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Oh yes no one disputes that. However vaccination can be a question of life and death in compromised or vulnerable individuals, even with Omicron.

Saying that Omicron Cov-2 is a cold is dangerous propaganda and nonsense... It appears on this thread regularly.

Cold doesn't kill people. Flu does, but in lesser numbers. Also, crucially, flu R0 is 1.3 whereas Omicron is >8, which is a huge difference.

TLDR - it's not cold, it's super spreadable flu if people want to simplify into "buzzwords".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Maybe give that wooden gun and badge another coat varnish.

Long covid is not caused by systemic inflammation post infection as you suggest.

ACE2 anti-type antibodies are implicated in long covid. Papers from prominent institutions are appearing.

If we check what ACE2 receptors do and where in the body they exist, then we understand why this is an issue.

Long covid is autoimmune mediated. This is NOT post-viral fatigue. It's directly linked to the spike protein, antibodies and anti-type antibodies attaching to ACE2 receptors and initiating inflammatory processes.

Omicron growth for next two weeks

Disclaimer for Channel: - He has a PhD to give him a Doctorate and is not an MD/GP etc.

Hence title of 'Dr.', discussion in 'Will you be taking a booster?' thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_(title)

Poster in background explanation: - Interactions of health

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Thanks for your post. I do understand the function of ACE2 receptors. As far as i understand it the antibodies hook up to the virus spike proteins themselves to keep them from binding and not on the cells they try to invade via the ace2 receptors. The cytokine storm is the body going overboard with massive inflammation throughout the body to get rid of the antigens wherever they may be and i think a trigger to an evolving auto immune system just as i believe are post viral or post operative issues which are usually more than just chronic fatigue syndrom which can go on for years after the virus/antigen is gone. So, auto immune and inflammation goes hand in hand. Some of that is mast cell activation which i think i suffer from. All this a trigger mechanism without an antigen present. It is the body massively over reacting at first (cytokine storm) and then setting up a high sensitivity mechanism. Allergy is not a good word for it. Peanut allergy is just that, an allergy to a specific antigen. The rest is, as you stated, auto immune related and i include chronic fatigue syndrom etc in that. Now, here is where my knowledge ends. I think there is currently no evidence that Omicron will lead to long Covid because of the short time frame. If it continues not to we could conclude that long Covid must be linked to the effect of the first viral onslaught and huge inflammation by the immune system ( nose, throat and bronchi issues can be handled in the normal way like what happens in a cold).Antibodies and killer cells will clean up the antigens.Then it is up to mast and other cells in certain areas including deep in the bone marrow sensitive enough to get triggered.

Sorry for the long and winding road

Post edited by deholleboom on

No, that's not what I'm talking about. You're talking about normal spike protein antibodies - those are good and needed. They do not attach to the ACE2 receptors as they are similar in conformation (structure) to the the ACE2 receptors i.e. inverse to the spike protein.

Long covid is theorised to be caused by anti-idiotype antibodies which instead being inverse to the spike protein are in structure similar to the spike protein and hence can activate the ACE2 receptors which are themselves inverse structurally to the spike protein.

Think about a key and a keyhole.

Viral spike protein is a key that fits the ACE2 receptor protein keyhole.

Normal antibody protein is a keyhole similar to the ACE2 receptor protein keyhole, which lets the viral spike protein key in and activates the immune system to destroy the spike protein and the virus.

Whereas anti-idiotype antibody protein becomes a key instead of a keyhole (as it would be normal) and fits the ACE2 receptor protein keyhole on a healthy cell which activates the immune system and destroys the healthy cell. This is an autoimmune issue.

More here https://health.ucdavis.edu/newsroom/news/headlines/antibodies-mimicking-the-virus-may-explain-long-haul-covid-19-rare-vaccine-side-effects/2021/11

It's not a cold. The mechanism of cell entry and pathology are completely different.

Only an amateur or a demagogue could call it a cold. It's a super flu at this stage - and a massively contagious one.

People are dying even with Omicron.

Reduced virulence is both due to the vaccination as well as the mutations and reduced ability of the virus to cause cell damage etc.

If we had less vaccinated we'd see loads of deaths. Look at Polish or Slovak or Bulgarian death rates per capita.

This is not a cold. And long term effects are worrying.

Also, decent immunity lasts 9 months max which is in line with HCov immunity and observed waning in vaccinated (see Israel) so unless we go boosters every year or twice a year or get infected every now and then (not recommended)... we won't get rid of this pathogen. And unvaccinated and/or people will die as the immunity wanes.

If someone thinks that omicron will just infect everyone within few months and then everyone will be immune to it and it will simply die out... Hmm not sure. Given most world is not vaccinated there'll be endemic areas which will keep spreading it to the whole world continously, month by month, year by year.

And that's before we get to variants or even Sars-Cov-3.

I don't worry but this is going to stay as moderately dangerous pathogen unlike cold. It won't be eradicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have to say this ire at the loose categorisation by the public of their own ailments at this late stage of COVID is most puzzling. As I've said elsewhere what doesn't floor us this time of year is labelled a cold or a bit of a bug. Few if any of us get into this extraordinary level of pathogenesis of what effectively turns out to be a minor respiratory inconvenience. That's not to say it's not more than that nor that people don't get ill from it and possibly die. COVID is many things from very mild or non-existent symptoms to life-threatening. The same provisos of comorbidities and risk apply as they do to every other variant of COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

It's not puzzling at all.

There's a bunch of people here pushing the narrative that it actually is a cold. It happens page after page.

I'm certain you're aware of that so I don't know why you're pretending to be puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Not sure if anyone heard Mary Favier a member of Nphet on Brendan OConnor but I would strongly suggest everyone would liste,n its about 10 minutes it starts at 9.00 , Mary would be cautious as she should be but this is cautious optimism, in fact she seems as worried about the worried well as about Omicron

Brendan O'Connor Saturday 8 January 2022 - Brendan O'Connor (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The "Omicron is just a cold" narrative is being pushed mainly by anti-lockdown types and Covid deniers i.e. the usual suspects.

Having said that, we do seem to be getting on top of it with our mass vaccination programme and signs that people are starting to develop resistance to the virus at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They've been saying the same thing all along. Covid has been downgraded from "just a flu" to "just a cold".

Hopefully it will become less of a problem and eventually, they'll be right. And then they'll claim they were right all along and there should never have been any covid measures.

There's nothing you can do about these Captains Hindsight. You can't please them and you certain can't ant make policy to suit them. It's important to know they're there, know what they're saying and then ignore them like you'd ignore a child who doesn't want to go to school in the morning. The government has ignored these people all along. These aren't the kind of people who end up making policy. Bad an all as the government can be at times, they at least didn't pander to these tabloid readers. So credit where its due.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

Myself & 2 work colleagues are currently Covid positive. Front line emergency services. All 3 of us quite strongly symptomatic as well.

2 of the 3 partners returned negative tests (1 was positive but may have been the source of the infection in that household) and all the kids in all 3 households have returned a negative test. 7 kids in total.

I know the reasons can be varied from prior immunity to inaccurate swabbing to false negatives etc. but for such a contagious variant and one that seems to re-infect those with prior infections, this all seems a little strange.

I would have been inches from my wife for 7/8 hours while sleeping and because my kids are young I'm constantly hugging & kissing them so I'm slightly baffled.

P.S. None of the 3 infected had a "mild" infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw a scientist saying yesterday that Omicron is at least as serious as the original Wuhan variant from early 2020, making a mockery of the idea that it is "just a cold". What has changed is that we are now building up resistance to Covid via multiple mass vaccinations and a certain degree of herd immunity.

The outlook does look promising though. Covid will probably be around for many years to come but we will learn to adapt to it and get back to a relative degree of normality.

@SmithsFan On what tests? Antigen or PCR?

I Have Omicron - A Doctor's Experience And Perspective

DISCLAIMER THIS VIDEO DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read, watched, or listened to on this video, or any other videos, reports, texts tweets or other sources.

^^^ That disclaimer should be on all youtube video's about covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have it right now. Day 2. It is not a cold - a cold for me only affects my sinuses and nasal passages and gives me a lot of mucous and nasal drip. Sometimes mild headaches from the blocked sinuses.

Omicron has given me a sore/tight throat which is quite uncomfortable and stronger headaches. I also feel tired but I am not in bed. No other symptoms and I am fully operational and eating loads. I am double vaccinated since June and would compare it more to a bad hangover from my younger days (many pints and cigarettes and little sleep). I have only had the flu once but that nearly killed me altogether - I could not get out of bed for 3 days with the fever/sweats/chills/aches/exhaustion - horrible.

My daughter also got Omicron and had a sore throat and headache for 1-2 days but she was out cycling on Day 2. 100% on Day 3.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

When it was in my house last month I got it 9 days after two of my kids were positive and 8 days after my wife, who I obviously share a bed with, was positive. And I did tests everyday so I know this. I have friends with very similar stories - so you may not yet fully know how this ultimately plays out (if still only a few days in)

This makes sense.

Nothing to say negative about this variant.

It is the gift that keeps giving.

UK starting to dismantle their testing system.

Let the goods times flow.

2022 is going to be a great year.

Let the roaring 20's begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

not in this failed state. what chances st patricks day parades begin to get called off again in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Quite high I’d say.

The cowards wouldn’t even allow indoor hospitality to reopen for the August BH weekend in case people enjoyed themselves.

Millions lost.

But nobody wants to talk about who foots the bill.

Advertisement