Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail fleet and infrastructure plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there probably would have been serious improvements since the drum train had the technology kept being developed and widely used.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Economics101

Battery technology has improved by about 2 orders of magnitude since the 1930s. Hence my question about the very short (80km) range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The 80km range seems to be pretty much the standard range for battery electric trains technology at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Remember that the new trains will be "walk through" which shortens the connection between the coaches, rather than corridor connections with doors, and the individual coaches will be a little shorter than the current ones.

The net effect is that a new five-car train will be comparable to a four-car train in length terms, but will carry more passengers due to the more open nature of the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How will the carriage doors open while the train stops at a station platform? Will the doors open outwards while being idle once the passengers enter/exit the carriage while it's at the platform.

The current DART fleet out on duty at the moment currently do not have doors that slide out onto the platform while they open on the train. The LHB DARTs do have doors that remain on the outside of the train while it opens/closes it's doors while at the platform. The Tokyo DART's however have their sliding doors kept inside the interior walls of the train at all times.

If the newer Alstom DARTs come supplied with sliding doors that go outwards from the train. I'm thinking that the these new doors will not be able to fit the current platforms as the new may become too long while the train stops at platforms.

Is there any real increase in the height of the doors on the Alstom DARTs while it's being compared to the other stock in the current DART fleet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are short cars, 5=4 of existing length.

They are fully articulated, open tram-like structure inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see the post I was replying to above has vanished

As for the doors thing - what? The location of where the doors go when sliding has no impact on the required platform length.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Based on the images/videos the doors will open outside the train not like the 29000 or newer DARTs. I would say those looking after them prefer this to.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Ireland trains

Has there been any update on the procurement of the new enterprise fleet yet?

Also is work on the oranmore passing loop due to start soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Enterprise replacement isn’t even at design stage yet and nothing is approved.

I can’t see anything happening in that regard until the strategic rail review is complete and plans developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

Being short, there should be less of an issue of making the carriages wider than current stock. AFAIK the LHB DARTs are 9' 6" wide. Irish loading gauge allows for up 10' 2" (Or it used to anyway). That sort of width would not be possible for longer stock but if the new carriages are to be even shorter than current DART carriages (and would probably be the shortest length passenger carriages in the country), I wonder if they would be made wider to maximise the available loading gauge?

Past UK sourced rolling stock was a maximum 9' 3" wide, that being the widest that carriages seem to be for the smaller UK loading gauge. Older Irish stock was built right up to the maximum 10' 2" width and it would be wasteful to specify that the carriages are narrower.

The X'Trapolis 2.0 trains for Australia that the Irish order is based on (correct me if I am wrong on that) are 9' 11" wide and the track gauge is the same as Ireland. Each carriage is longer than what will be in the Irish order but surely it would be relatively simple to shorten the carriages and keep them the same width - in fact I would imagine that the less changes made to dimensions would result in cost savings. The X'Trapolis 2.0 trains for Australia order will also have 5' 3" bogies plus they will run on 1,500v DC. So many boxes ticked without having to make the order such a special case to fit the Irish requirements.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No. SEUPB published the overview of their 2021-2027 PEACEPLUS programme for public consultation in March. This proposal was included:

That was at a very early stage and the programme has to be approved by the European Commission so funding wasn't (and still isn't) certain. Since then, Irish Rail and Translink have been carrying out studies to support a detailed funding application that was due to be submitted at the end of this year.

God, that SEUPB piece in the previous post is the most convoluted piece of corporate gobbledegook I've seen in a long time. (What is SEUPB by the way?)

The Dublin-Belfast route has congestion problems between Dublin and Drogheda and also between Portadown and Belfast, due to increasing commuter traffic. What is needed is capacity improvements on these sections to benefit not just intercity but also shorter-distance commuters. For example bi-directional signalling with frequent high-speed crossovers, quadruple tracking in some places where there space for this., end higher line speeds where possible.

Forget any fancy TGV stuff: it's hugely expensive and for the relatively short distances involved the time savings are quite small. It's not like Paris-Bordeaux or Barcelona-Madrid, for heaven's sake. Dublin-Belfast is a medium-distance corridor, with a lot of short-distance traffic as well, and a fairly modest population to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think it's the populations served as much as the relatively short distances that just shoot any high speed rail on the head ,

Doesn't mean speeds can't be improved upon though

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

DUB-BEL is currently at best 2h05 with 4 stops. They were talking about 90 mins end to end in the 90s, surely that's achievable now with modest investment, it's only 160km.

The Special EU Programmes Body was established under the Good Friday Agreement to co-ordinate EU funding programmes to promote peace and cross-border cooperation around Northern Ireland and the Border.

PEACEPLUS is their upcoming €1bn programme which Irish Rail and Translink are applying for funding from. It has been approved by the North-South Ministerial Council and is awaiting EU Commission approval early next year.

Post edited by Peregrine on

Thanks, Peregrine for the clarification. I'm all for peace and cross-border co-operation, but the irony is that the cross-border bit of Dublin-Belfast is probably the least congested part of the entire network. Improving capacity on Dublin-Drogheda and Belfast-Portadown would benefit commuter services in these areas as well as speeding up Enterprise services. Also these improvements are warranted on more orthodox grounds than promoting peace, and should perhaps be assessed on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The definition of cross-border isn't that narrow that it just means a small section either side of the border.

--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

So mid-2022 is fast approaching... any sign of some tarped up 22Ks on a boat headed to Dublin Port?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40297175.html

I love it. The Examiner link has a photo of a MarkIV train, one of the few intercity trains which is not a 22k. But it's Cork, boy, so that's OK.

Pictures on the Irish Rail Twitter this morning

these are just centre cars yeah? So won't enable any additional services, just longer trains?

They are just center cars, but should allow some sets to be releases as currently there are many services using a 3+4 setup with four driving cars.

Extend that 4 to a 7 and the 3 is free to work elsewhere, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

Looking at the price of petrol they should add a few more cars onto the order !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They are just doing 3/4/6 sets. Can't see many 2x3 set once all enter service.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Ireland trains

How many of the 2x3 or 3+4 sets are for stock movements as opposed to capacity requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

are these new darts they are buying ones with aircon ( and obviously no windows) would prefer ones with windows, better then broken aircon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Nothing mentioned in the official new fleet announcements made so far about Aircon from what I saw.

Advertisement