Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish rail fleet and infrastructure plans

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

What does FLIRT stand for?

Fast Light Intercity and Regional Train

Are there plans for a refurbishment for the mk4s in the next couple of years surely if done right this might help provide a more attractive service to the coach. Something similar to the Enterprise which I haven't been on since the refurbishment but they do look nice all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could the MkIVs be refurbished and upgraded into modern day executive sets with all the comforts and trimmings like a proper bar and decent food, and have them for specials, and executive services, and then let the everyday services be relagated to the ICRs.

Even if 2 or 3 sets of MkIVs were dandied up for comfort rather than capacity, it would be a big draw and a point of interest. Perhaps a unique livery could be applied to set them apart, just like the way the MkIII executive coaches were unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Could the MkIVs be refurbished and upgraded into modern day executive sets with all the comforts and trimmings like a proper bar and decent food, and have them for specials, and executive services, and then let the everyday services be relagated to the ICRs.

Even if 2 or 3 sets of MkIVs were dandied up for comfort rather than capacity, it would be a big draw and a point of interest. Perhaps a unique livery could be applied to set them apart, just like the way the MkIII executive coaches were unique.

Sure they couldn't even keep the so called 'Executive Train" going so the idea of using the the MKIVs for such an operation is laughable. You're talking about CIE - an organisation which does not do innovation.

Would never happen. To be fair to IE in this instance such a service would never qualify for PSO revenue and would have be commercially viable to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

GT89 wrote: »
    Are there plans for a refurbishment for the mk4s in the next couple of years surely if done right this might help provide a more attractive service to the coach. Something similar to the Enterprise which I haven't been on since the refurbishment but they do look nice all the same.

Smith has made mention of it in talks to Engineers Ireland, they're down the list after the ICRs and 29000s

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

In your opinion.....
    Del.Monte wrote: »
    Do you ever post anything other than hilarious one liners?

Posts like this add nothing to the thread.

Please discuss the topic at hand.

- Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

DoctorPan wrote: »
    Smith has made mention of it in talks to Engineers Ireland, they're down the list after the ICRs and 29000s

Sorry, who is Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

tabbey wrote: »
    Sorry, who is Smith?

Oops, sorry meant Peter Smyth as in Irish Rail's Chief Mechanical Engineer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Barcode readers are being installed on some ticket barriers now, new unit with them and the Leap reader built in. Presumably in preparation for mobile ticketing or print at home intercity.

It's barely infrastructure but it's also not Leap which is the only topic we really have on ticketing!

I did a substantial trans European rail trip with only barcode tickets in 2019 so we're a tad late to the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

L1011 wrote: »
    Barcode readers are being installed on some ticket barriers now, new unit with them and the Leap reader built in. Presumably in preparation for mobile ticketing or print at home intercity.

It's barely infrastructure but it's also not Leap which is the only topic we really have on ticketing!

I did a substantial trans European rail trip with only barcode tickets in 2019 so we're a tad late to the game

It would appear so.

https://twitter.com/RailUsersIe/status/1387415743151607813?s=19

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would say that post is based on no more info than seeing the units just like me :pac:

They're in Maynooth also in addition to their list there. There's nothing else they can be used for, it has to be for barcode tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Two recent etender notices from IE relating to fleet and infrastructure;

Colbert Station Redevelopment (although mostly relating to the bus station element)

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/187337/1/0

Supply of MKIV First Class | Passenger Tables

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/188269/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

Colbert Station Redevelopment (although mostly relating to the bus station element)

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/188269/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Not that I'd have much use for them now:
    As part of an Interior Refurbishment Programme on its MKIV First Class carriages, Iarnród Éireann has a requirement for approximately 127 (67 x 2 Seater; and 60 x 4 Seater) modern tables with added functionality (i.e. modern table LED lamps, front mounted 13a three pin sockets, front mounted USB charging ports and flush table top wireless charging pads), which are in conformance with the requirements of EN 45545 (Fire Protection on Railway Vehicles), EN 50155 (Railway Applications – Rolling stock Electronic Equipment) and GM/RT 2100 Issue 6 (Rail Vehicle Structures and Passive Safety). The contract will also include the provision of spare parts to support the products over the life of the tables.

But that's something eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Not that I'd have much use for them now:

But that's something eh?

Bit like the the UK IEP/IET trains, took so long for the procurement and implementation to happen they ended up with only one 13 amp plug between two seats in standard, USB wasn't even an idea at the time !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

91wx763 wrote: »
    Bit the the UK IEP/IET trains, took so long for the procurement and implementation to happen they ended up with only one 13 amp plug between two seats in standard, USB wasn't even an idea at the time !!!

I think the plugs are the least of the IEP's problems. Lot pulled for inspection due to cracks.
    Pete_Cavan wrote: »

Not sure its the best investment. Is there issues with the current tables?
    ________

Jim Meade said the new fleet order will be placed in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

There was a hope to install new engines in 205

Cyndaquil wrote: »
    There was a hope to install new engines in 205

Engines plural, or just one?

It would be no harm to try a new efficient engine for traction, along with a smaller engine coupled to an auxiliary generator for head end power.
    Make it a proper passenger loco, without the need for a separate generator van.
    With more efficient engines available, perhaps running at a higher speed, it should be possible to fit both inside a 201 body. Better than leaving locos to rot in Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

tabbey wrote: »
    Engines plural, or just one?

It would be no harm to try a new efficient engine for traction, along with a smaller engine coupled to an auxiliary generator for head end power.
    Make it a proper passenger loco, without the need for a separate generator van.
    With more efficient engines available, perhaps running at a higher speed, it should be possible to fit both inside a 201 body. Better than leaving locos to rot in Inchicore.

Single. CAT type I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I don’t hold with the notion of “proper” engines. I would much rather, if re-powering the 201s did move forward, that it be solely a traction power upgrade to simplify the work required especially around any required ventilation changes, especially given the need for a cab at the far end anyway so why get rid.

I do note that the UK’s replacement programme is continuing apace with East Midlands being the latest to retire HST. Wonder what an IE Mk4 set would do with the 201 and DVT removed and replaced with a pair of proven MTU Class 43s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Apparently the additional 41 ICRs will not start delivery until mid 2022 so could well be Autumn 2022 when they enter service depending on commissioning or other potential problems.

Now this might be a typo or customers will be shafted again by moving capacity elsewhere. Any extra capacity should be matched equally by Translinks extra fleet if the below is correct.
    The new carriages are intended to increase capacity on the Dublin-Belfast, Maynooth/M3 Parkway and Kildare lines.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40297175.html#:~:text=Irish%20Rail%20is%20buying%2041,%E2%82%AC3.65m%20per%20unit.&text=The%20first%20carriage%20is%20unlikely,pandemic%E2%80%9D%20according%20to%20Irish%20Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The rules currently are 2 NI, 1 IE sets, so the ball is with IE for the 4th

Translink is in a position to provide an extra C3K following the extension of several C4K units to 6 cars

It was agreed in 2019 to move towards a hourly service, but a recast to get a pre 9am arrival was the goal

That consumes 6 of the 42, but could substitute for an existing Dundalk service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

The rules currently are 2 NI, 1 IE sets, so the ball is with IE for the 4th

Translink is in a position to provide an extra C3K following the extension of several C4K units to 6 cars

It was agreed in 2019 to move towards a hourly service, but a recast to get a pre 9am arrival was the goal

That consumes 6 of the 42, but could substitute for an existing Dundalk service

How often is the spare set rotated in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Coach maintenance is NIR's problem, IE provide and maintain the locomotives, though if a coach gets red carded at Connolly, Inchicore will fix it up sufficiently to get back to York Road, normally a trip to the wheel lathe, even C3K's have made that trip.

If the 0735 set fails an ICR will be put in, if the 0640 or 0800 set fails the spare will be spun up if possible (rare) or a C3K

In the early days there was a 4 coach scratch set which found itself on the 1840 to Drogheda sometimes.

In the early days there was a 4 coach scratch set which found itself on the 1840 to Drogheda sometimes.

That set of four cars was used on Friday afternoon as a relief before the mid afternoon enterprise, it ran at 1445, if memory serves me correctly, as far as Dundalk.
    It was an absurd set: a driving trailer first, a full first, a catering car and one standard class coach. I assume that standard class passengers were allowed to sit in first class seats.
    Nowadays, since the reduction in size of the enterprise sets, it should be possible to make the spare set full length, making four sets of seven coaches, (excluding egv), as originally intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

That was my assumption. They've a full set pretty much sitting idle in York rd the whole day. I doubt there constantly having to pull and rotate sets every day for checks or maintenance.

Having the 4 sets in service should deliver a 90 min frequency.

I saw an ICR set today on a Rosslare service and much to my shock it was in MTA Metro North Railroad livery which I thought looked very weird. Is there a reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

GT89 wrote: »
    I saw an ICR set today on a Rosslare service and much to my shock it was in MTA Metro North Railroad livery which I thought looked very weird. Is there a reason for this?

https://www.facebook.com/222713481269/posts/10158338514651270/

IE 222 wrote: »
    That was my assumption. They've a full set pretty much sitting idle in York rd the whole day. I doubt there constantly having to pull and rotate sets every day for checks or maintenance.

Having the 4 sets in service should deliver a 90 min frequency.

My sentiments entirely.
    Having four sets in service daily, with an ICR or CAF 3000 for occasional relief would be more efficient use of assets funded by the EU taxpayer. By having an odd number of services, each set would overnight in Belfast every second night for full maintenance. Minor attention could be done in Dublin if required.

• Advertisement

vickers209 wrote: »

As the wanderer mentioned on his photo post, it's for filming.
    I wish I had seen it, as it is 33 years since I've seen any MTA, NJT, Amtrak or any other American trains, in the flesh. I had hoped to get back sometime in recent years, but covid and health make it less likely.

Advertisement