Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How about no I **** won't.

I realised today why this game feels so off. It's the rocket pack. In RKA after a rocket jump of you hit an enemy you bounce outside of them or if you don't the enemy will be in a damage state and can't do damage giving you time to get away.

In this game about 40% of the time you end up inside the enemies hit box and will take damage making the rocket pack a total crap shoot.

That and the rockem sockem robot fight is complete shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Couldn't think of what to play earlier so I threw on Bully to get a few remaining trophies. Debating replaying it as I really enjoy it but sure I've loads of other stuff to play...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Finished Samus Returns after Dread and tried taking a break with The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.

Not really sure about it yet. It’s like NES Zelda in that you start out quite fragile and death is a thing in dungeons. In generally actually, it reminds me more of the NES game than Link’s Awakening.

So, back to the Metroid series… I’m working through Metroid Prime whenever the baby sleeps long enough to get a session in.

It’s as good as ever! Phendrana Drifts is just a great section, although the Space Pirates showing up is a bit of a pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found oracle of ages and seasons to be quite tough. Some really challenging dungeons, bosses and some real head scratcher puzzles.

As for reminding you of Zelda 1, the oracle project was meant to be a trilogy of games, a remake of 1 and 2 and a brand new game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must play them again, I have the carts and I can play them via the GB Player or the Retron 5, Capcom made them, didn't they?

I really liked The Minish Cap too.

• Advertisement

Minish Cap is another one on my "to play" list. It's only recently I've been interested in handheld stuff so it's all new for me! I'll probably play on a mix of GBA and GB Player like I did Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Recently completed KOTOR I & II, iPad versions with community mods installed on II. Still very enjoyable and perfectly playable on touchscreen.

Just picked up a Xbox S so replaying the Halo collection at the moment.

I renewed Game Pass PC for 3 months for €1 and going to give Halo another try. I just never got into it before. Not sure why. Tried it on PC way back then again on Game Pass on One S a year or two ago. Maybe it's because I was playing other games on Game Pass and didn't give it the time of day. Also going to give Gears of War a go.

Played a bit of Lumines last night. Easy to get sucked into that game and lose an hour without realising!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you guys give Capcom arcade Stadium a go yet? I bought it on a whim for the switch when I saw a line of candy cabinet in the demo.

Its a really cool take on the whole thing, it literally emulates candy cabinets. You can play on a camcom Cute, Impress and a Status 18. Some really fantastic CRT emulation going on too, great to see such a thing taking off more and more, would absolutely love if they added more cabinets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Playing some of the Megadrive games on the Switch. Jesus theyre bad. What an awful console.

Master of the Universe

I played them all as a kid but was always more of a Commadore/Nintendo guy anyway. Never liked Sonic for example. But some of these were bad then and are abysmal now. I downloaded the emulator a few years ago and could think of about 3 games worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I kinda really have to start thinking hard after Streets of Rage. Ecco the Dolphin plays quick I suppose.

Master of the Universe

So you've played Phantasy Star IV, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, Musha Aleste, Streets Of Rage 2, Contra Hard Corps, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ghouls n Ghosts, Alien Soldier and think they're all shite?

If that's the case, I think you just don't like videogames ;)

I mean the super Nintendo was a better console than the megadrive but the megadrive is still one of the best consoles ever and pretty much essential. What I love the most is that the libraries of the snes and megadrive are so different but compliment each other.

Maybe thats it. Too many Megadrive games are the same. Run aloing to the right punching or shooting forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It filled the arcade at home demand at the time with a large number of its games. The Super Nintendo didn't really have that, had a different range of games.

On great MegaDrive/Genesis games, check out;

• Shadowrun
    • Wiz 'n' Liz
    • Powermonger (lots of other versions out there, the MD/G one is fairly good)
    • Earthworm Jim(s)
    • Road Rash 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Megadrive was a cracking machine with a great games library.

If you have decided that the console was awful, you are probably in the wrong forum and 30 years too late, as the playground MD hate nonsense belonged there.

• Advertisement

The SNES also doesn't have a game better than Gunstar Heroes.

Fight me.

IGNs best of all time. Very Snes heavy. Not a lot of Megadrive. Hardly any actually. As has been said, the Megadrive briefly filled the gap from arcade to home but dated very quickly.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-100-video-games-of-all-time

It's not a bad list but you have to also take into account that nobody at IGN was playing games in the 16-bit era and it's an american website so heavily skewed towards Nintendo over Sega as Nintendo was more popular then. You can also point out the severe lack of handheld and saturn games. There's Saturn and DS games that are all time contenders, more deserving than the likes of Red Dead 2.

I think you just need to explore the megadrive library more. Many of the more popular Megadrive games are not that great but if you explore the library there's a lot there that's great. Also many games on the Megadrive run way better than the SNES games, the Strike games for instance.

My hot take on IGN is it's not a great website in an niche of journalism where the bar is pretty low so who cares what they think?

Master of the Universe

When the Megadrive first came out it filled a gap from arcade to home, hence things like Altered Beast and other Sega arcade ports (Super Thunderblade etc), many of which aren't very good. Unfortunately you see a lot of these games on 'best of' compilations, so I would imagine that's what's informing your incorrect opinion.

Those games came out in the late 80s. The console was around until the mid 90s. There were many more games which came out after that, from cross platform to exclusives, many of which are still brilliant to this day. I really would recommend playing through some of them.

Theres a project for me so for the weekend. Will do some research and play a few.

I am of that vintage btw, C64 actually, so have obviously played a lot of them. I remember liking ESwat, Shinobi, Altered Beast et al.

Revenge of Shinobi and Shinobi 3 should be top of the list. Pure action game perfection. Would also recommend. Rocket knight adventures and contra hard corp which for my money is the best contra.

And gunstar of course.

Soleil/crusader of centy is a pretty great Zelda clone which you could argue is better than link to the past.

Some great Sega CD games as well despite the limited library. Snatcher, popful mail, Aleste.

And I've a soft spot for shining force 2 as my first jrpg and a really fun breezy srpg.

To be fair, you could say all GTA games are the same with driving and shooting everyone but they're all different in their own way. Sure people will prefer one over others but still different games.

Understandably people have their preference in regards to MD Vs SNES but both consoles have a vast library of great games. I've seen plenty of people prefer SNES alright but I've never seen anyone say the Megadrive was outright crap!

Shinobi 3 is a fantastic game. The graphics, gameplay and soundtrack are all top notch and just an overall very good package.

Yeah played that on the Switch last night, still very good.

Sonic is crap. Always was.

• Advertisement

The US never got the Megadrive, while Japan and Europe did.

Plus, the Megadrive enjoyed a healthy number of ports from the Amiga and ST scenes, also popular in Europe rather than the US.

The Megadrive is a far better console for horizontal and vertical shooters, the SNES has a couple of great ones but can't really compare.

In terms of arcade conversions, Street Fighter II would be the most obvious, but the MD got its fair share of crackers too.

Yes, the SNES was technically superior but the MD had a more than healthy library of great titles, so you never lost out if you only owned one of those.

And, from this perspective, there is nothing to stop everyone from owning both consoles and the best games on both systems or even just running them in emulation.

Advertisement