Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War criminal Tony Blair to be given most senior knighthood in new year honours list

Options

Comments

honestly, who gives a f u c k.

like it’s a meaningless title from the queen, if we’re lucky she’ll sneeze when placing the sword on his shoulders and give him a wee shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I thought being a war criminal was one of the best ways of getting one of those things anyway?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Opinions on why he would be bestowed with this honour now?'

Because he is active in the media now promoting digital health passports, "climate regimes" and every other unwise garbage idea that the worst of the mainstream establishment wants to push on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Astartes

He should be knighted into the feckin sea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

It's a huge Geo political statement by Great Britain though... it Is basically the Queen And Great Britain saying Tony Blair was one of Great Britains most honourable and outstanding people. It is Great Britain politically stating that genocide of Iraqi civilians was just And honourable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

War criminal? Was he convicted? Did he do time?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Shots fired and target obliterated, we have a winner

Couldn't picture a better man to parade about in this costume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's never been convicted anything at all, let alone war crimes, so there is a factual inaccuracy to your headline. I'm not saying he's not uncontroversial as Prime Minister in his decisions in the post 9/11 era, but show me an uncontroversial British prime minister and I'll show you a guy who was in the job for one day.

That aside, the British honours system is self-indulgent nonsense and always has been. Nigella Lawson turned one down years back, saying there was nothing special about being a cook. Even today the Kenny couple who won a bunch of Olympic cycling medals said 'we just ride bikes'

And in fairness to them all, they are right. These baubles are tossed around like confetti and in that regard they are largely meaningless and routine.

So who cares what the royal PR office decides to pin on a politician who has been out of office for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

The media are equally to blame Sky news and the BBC etc. they promoted and justified the war with fake news and propaganda.

Moral of the story is when it comes to war/conflict then everything the media tells you and does not tell you is designed to influence your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

You don't have to be convicted to be a criminal. Plenty of blood on his hands despite the predictable lack of conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Its not the Royal PR office who decides, it's the government of the day who decides the gongs. Sheet of fag paper between them all though, establishment look after the establishment.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

No surprise, the UK is built on scheming and murder.

More surprised because he's a catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I can't believe mass genocidal, convicted war criminal Tony Blair (at least according to Mark Thomas, the Guardian and the usual chorus line) who killed 50 millionty people in Iraq is not in the special Harry Potter prison for baddies.

If you look are Iraq now, with its functioning federal democracy and very pissed off Baathists firmly in their place, it makes you wonder how most Iraqis feel about mass murderer, war criminal, serial killer blah blah Tony Blair (according to John Pilger, Twitter twits, et al) who helped remove actual mass murderer, actual war criminal, actual tyrant Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq?

Not that the Iraqis opinions matter for anything on this topic,of course. 😂

Yet you fail to see how they influenced your own opinion 🤣

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically speaking under UK law a life sentence means life and the only appeal possible is to the Home Secretary who can overrule it. Since Tony was the Home Secretary's boss there'd be no point and a trial would be a waste of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Blair was a good friend to Ireland and without him the Good Friday Agreement would have taken many more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well he did at least play a part in bringing peace to the north.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Blair is the only successful left wing leader in Britain, along with Wilson since the 40s.

Are you honestly comparing Blair to Hitler.

Given the Jew baiting and bizzaro Circus of the Corbyn years, destroyed Labour, it may well be the 2030s till another Labour pm appears.

He has advanced more Labour policy than anyone since Clement Attlee in the 1940s.

An achievement that makes him especially unpopular with the activists who love the safety of opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I was talking in terms of being convicted and doing time as per the point I was responding too.

Load her up boys, shes' done.

Not only a lack of conviction, a complete lack of any sign of him being brought to trial because there was no credible case to answer for, outside of the venerable court of Irish Times opinion columns

I suppose it makes some people feel righteous to oppose the removal of an actual war criminal that gassed Kurds while they stick PLO flags on their twitter bios 🤣

Not really, it comes down to there being no will to seek Blair or GW Bush to be punished for the actions with regards to Iraq, and their manipulation/lying to the international community.

If the will was there, then a credible case could be brought against them for an "illegal" war, which ran counter to the UN declarations of the time, and the falsification of evidence to change the attitude of the UN. There's plenty of references to the use of weaponry that brought about "collateral damage", and the killing of civilians... but then, the US was never done for the firebombing of Japanese cities during WW2, with the clear targeting of civilians to weaken the enemy. Western propaganda is pretty good at elevating higher morality, while dismissing the more... dodgy actions while "fighting the good fight".

Dunno about being righteous, but more to do with the abolishing of double standards. The US and other western nations have held other countries up to standards that they themselves are not prepared to abide by. Instead, when the west commits similar actions, it's swept under the carpet, while others get hit with sanctions or other punishments.

It's kind hard to encourage other nations to behave within international guidelines/rules, when western nations are unprepared to do so themselves, except when it's convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pretty basic rule of law- you can't legally be called a criminal unless you have been convicted by a lawfully convened jury of your peers.

It's really a good principle on the whole.

As an anonymous poster on Boards you'll probably get away with it.

However, don't make a habit of it in public.

• Advertisement

The Americans always made it clear that they were going in for regime change. the UN were quietly told to go and **** themselves, just like they were in the former Yugoslavia where they enabled genocide with their fence sitting before the Yanks lost patience and NATO sorted it.

Advertisement