Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronan Collins Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Is he trying to outlast poor Larry……….😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Haven't heard that "A call from Long Island" sketch in years. Still makes me laugh, think Alf McCarthy used play it on Late Date the odd time.

Ronan playing John Prine now. Hope he cleared that with Creedo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ronan in great form this week. What a treat to hear Arthur McBride on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Should be a two hour show every day-far more relaxed.

Either ditch Tubridy (won't happen), or reduce Scare Byrne to one hour of hysteria.

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pot the reds then screw back,

For the yellow green brown blue pink and black!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Expunge

Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,204 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Missed today’s show, did Ronan play ‘Bodies’ by the Sex Pistols in celebration of John Lydon’s birthday? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Don't care how many times i hear it, that intro to Trouble with a Capital T will never ever fail to blow me away. The whole album is fantastic and still underrated.

• Advertisement

Ronan seems to have a new bed under the "birthday greetings" section, its the same one John Clarke used use on his happy birthday section on Irelands biggest jukebox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I noticed that yesterday. He seems to change them around. He was using Paul Coldrick's Cityjam. I wonder will he use Man or Action soon :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's called Soul Coaxing.

One of his regular instrumental pieces along with any Frank Mills tunes, Love is Blue Classical Gas etc

Thanks for that, one of the reasons i like Ronans show is he is one of the last genuine radio guys left on the national stations, things like this just drive that point home!

Anyway, i came across this playlist that has a ton of music that falls into that category of "i know it but i don't know why i know it"...recognise lots of the tracks as beds from various radio shows. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3wTQnLE7k1NFGxjVSSwjPQ?si=AO5TDGSsQGOv7axqMMGlLQ&utm_source=copy-link

How would you describe a “Genuine Radio Guy”

What makes a guy “genuine” .What qualities does one have to have to achieve that accolade.

Bit like Eamon Dunphy used to say ‘real football people’.

Always wondered what those descriptors really meant?

To me a genuine radio guy, or gal, presenting a music show...

Has a great knowledge of and enthusiasm for the music that they are playing.

Can make a connection with the audience apart from "text me what you are having for lunch". Yes we know you don't like the birthdays and anniversaries, but the fact that people make requests on Ronan's show year after year, and that he remembers listeners from previous interactions (not just birthdays and anniversaries), but remembers what music certain individual listeners like shows that he has some respect for his audience. His engagement with the audience goes further than the birthdays and requests anyway.

Does a bit of research and preparation.

Plans the show - You can easily tell that Ronan puts in a bit of effort beforehand, and plans his timings for the intro's and outro's to songs. His timing is often impeccable, giving the audience little tidbits of info about the band or song, the song will be cued up, properly, he will give his spiel and open the fader fully at just the right moment, this also shows knowledge of his equipment or in other words "can work the buttons". There was a great example of this when he was introducing Africa by Toto just before Christmas, it really stood out to me as something that you just don't hear on national daytime radio at all anymore.

Has the odd nod to pioneers of the past - such as using "Soul Coaxing" as a bed - The original Radio Caroline used this in the past, amongst others.

Edit: It wasn't Africa, it was Rosanna 🙂 From the 11 minute mark: https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/ronan-collins/programmes/2021/1223/1268419-ronan-collins-thursday-23-december-2021/

His entry to the Neil Diamond tune earlier in that show was top stuff too!

Post edited by RINO87 on

That’s a great response, thanks for taking the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Shay in for Ronan this week he played an Irish gem about 12.15 today, The fat lady sings - Arclight

Unfortunately he's also played ABBA, Beyonce, Garth Brooks, Dua Lipa and Sophie Ellis Bextor.

Somebody really needs to sit him down and tell him that he isn't working on Q102.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Sadly when the day comes that Ronan retires ,I expect that this slot will either go Q102 or else an extra hour of talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

no surprise - a very overplayed song on Radio 1 in recent years

One from Lilian Smith or Fiachná or Nadine O'Regan (Her Late Date shows are surprisingly good.) would work well on the show.

Jesus I had never actually listened to this Shay fella, either on his own show or when he fills in here. Cringefest.....

Handover from Claire - "Thanks very much Claire, thought you were going to rap us the theme tune to the fresh prince there".....SILENCE....."No? Ok, over to the Angelus".

Goes on to recount seeing Red Hurley and Linda Martin duetting "Islands in the Stream" while on holiday in Spain.....

He's now playing "The three Amigos".

This is fairly painful.....but in a car crash sort of way, I cant turn it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Shay regularly plays Irish Country and when the suffering is over will tell the artist is the nicest person you could meet and so genuine blah blah and so on .

Shay was a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

he must be getting too much fresh air - he is twice as hyper between 5.30am and 7 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

In the latest figures Ronan Collins has 242,000 listeners every weekday, increasing his listenership by 7,000. Thats a fair increase. Well done to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I think Lillian Smith would be perfect in this role.

But Ronan has YEARS in him yet! 🤞

Lillian comes across as being well....a bit of a moan

• Advertisement

Advertisement