Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder how much they paid for Cats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Girl in the Yellow Jumper (2020) - A man is drugged and taken hostage while watching TV. When he escapes, he returns home with an unbelievable story to tell. Based on true events..

Love Happens (2009) - A self-help guru's failure to come to grips with his wife's death may cost him a chance at happiness with a quirky florist..

The Shack (2017) - After suffering a tragic loss, Mack Phillips seeks answers from a mysterious letter urging him to visit a deserted shack in the Oregon wilderness

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Don't look up is a great movie, a lovely palate cleanser after the horrendous new Matrix movie. Genuinely funny and good performances by Dicaprio, Lawrence and Rylance in particular. The social commentary is a bit relentless but probably important in relation to the climate change parallels. Would definitely recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Watched Don't Look Up on Christmas Eve and enjoyed it. It was a bit slow getting going but once in its stride it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

2 episodes into The Silent Sea and it's good, although some of the dialogue and plot points are quite silly, which I presume is a translation issue.

Don't Look Up is way too long and flags massively in the middle. I wish I'd watched something else while staying up late on Christmas Eve

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I tried Don't Look Up and gave up after 30 mins - the biggest laugh it got from me in that time was the opening quote (which was a great gag) and everything after that felt like the most immediately obvious joke, spelled out to make absolutely sure you got it.

I've found similar issues with some of his films with Will Ferrell, so I suspect it's partly just that his writing isn't to my taste - of his films I'd pick The Big Short as the best, which is probably down to the Michael Lewis source material as much as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Don't look up looks terrible to me, watched the trailer and that was enough, there might be something to what you're saying too - as I detest Will Ferrell. My missus loves him but I just don't get it, I can't think of many actors who are less funny tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood is very good, more underplayed than what I was expecting and very slow. I think there's a version of the movie that is a lot more emotional but I liked the version we got, maybe if I'd grown up with Mr Rogers it might have had a bigger impact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a 60 second interval that honestly, floored me. I don't blub up over movies, yet the surprise gear change caught me by surprise in the best way.

The film overall was essentially a retelling of A Christmas Carol so felt less rote than many of these kind of biopics tend to be. And was refreshing to watch a story whose lesson is simply: kindness and decency is a strength, not a weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's very good. I didn't really know anything about him beyond that he existed so I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Up to episode 3 of the silent sea, very enjoyable so far, definitely my type of show, South Koreas Netflix arm are kind of knocking it out of the park this year with squid game, hellbound and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Who said he was? 🙄 I was replying to the previous poster who said the same director/producer did Will Ferrell movies.

No idea why you got 10 thanks on that, that makes 11 people who don't read threads properly

Post edited by Thecageyone on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Death to 2021 (2021) - This darkly comedic retrospective mixes real news footage and scripted talking-head interviews as it sends up the year that tried to one-up 2020.

Classic Mary Berry (2018) Season1- Food writer and TV chef Mary Berry whips up her own versions of classic recipes, from simple comfort food to decadent dinner party fare.

Made by Design (2021) Season 1 - Architects, interior designers and other creatives share their process and offer insight into the paths they took to achieve career success.

Never, Rarely, Sometimes, Always (2020) - Faced with an unplanned pregnancy and a lack of support, a teen girl leaves her small town for New York with her cousin to seek an abortion.

a couple of Fireplace 4K videos

Death at a Funeral (2010) - At the funeral for a family patriarch, his dutiful eldest son finds that eccentric relatives and shocking revelations may just be the death of him.

Escape Room (2019) - Six strangers use their wits to survive a series of deadly mystery rooms that cater to their worst fears -- or die trying.

added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Never, Rarely, Sometimes, Always is supposed to be very good. Not sure it's festive season viewing though 🤔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the very, very best films of 2020. It’s a difficult watch at times, but also one that has a deep respect for its characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It is very good, but it will spoil the party. Definitely mark it down though as one to watch when in the right frame of mind. Simple story, excellent acting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't look up - didn't last 25 minutes, just didn't like it at all. I was really looking forward to it after hearing so much about it, but everyone in the room agreed to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Don't Look Up. Thoroughly enjoyable satire, well acted, smart, sharp, funny. DiCaprio, Hill and Lawrence were all impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I knew he was a famously nice person so part of me was expecting a hatchet job, or some depressing reality that he was awful to his staff, wife etc. That he was, in fact, exactly as nice as his public persona showed gave faith we might yet survive ourselves. As films go, it was sentimental, heartfelt and sincere - and enjoyable precisely for those reasons.

• Advertisement

Don't look up isn't great unfortunately. It's seriously overly long and scattershot. Comedies with huge budgets tend to be a bit of an oddity.

Some little fun parts and performances, Cate Blanchett, meryl streep, Lawrence and Jonah Hill especially are fun and do their best, but it was a disappointment to me, it just wasn't sufficiently funny or biting from a satire point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

blanchett was amazing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The supposed notion that it was about climate change rather than Covid didn't really work, Streep's female Trump was shallow, Rylance's Gates/Musk character creepy but unlikely, some of the lesser characters basically written to allow cameos,

Too long, not funny enough, could have been much better

• Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I strongly disagree. I thought it was brilliant for the most part

It was a little bit too long but the set up was great, the characters were well developed and the satire was totally on the nose. Given how certain sections of our society are so easily manipulated that they can be convinced to 'not look up' so that they wouldn't see the evidence with their own eyes, or that a planet killing asteroid is a good thing because it creates jobs

If there was an announcement tomorrow that a similar comet was barrelling towards earth and we needed to act Immediately to have any chance of survival you can be guaranteed that the likes of the climate change deniers and anti vaxxers would be out in force to oppose any action

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm not the poster you replied to, but I also gave up after half an hour or so. There was little enough promise of improvement in the opening 30 minutes for me to be willing to ignore the sunk cost fallacy and keep going for another 120 in the hope of it changing into something I enjoyed.

It's one thing if you thought the first half hour is good and/or funny but too slowly paced 🙂 The best laugh I got from the first half hour was the quote right at the start of the film, so I concluded it wasn't for me.

If you were watching this expecting an 'anchorman' style of comedy (given the cast and director) then I can see how it didn't meet those expectations, but if you see it as a kind of 21st century 'Dr Strangelove' where the comedy comes from watching increasingly ludicrous outcomes from bad decision making at key moments, and the dynamics of power and who really holds the balance of power, what motivates them to act the way they do etc

It's a film that grows into itself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just a note that there’s a separate and active thread for Don’t Look Up here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058207944/dont-look-up-adam-mckay-netflix#latest

Probably best to have any chat about the film in there rather than clogging up the recommendation one with the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I watched this expecting scandi noir but it's mainly set in Israel and surrounding areas.

It's not great but I suppose I stuck with it so it's not completely terrible.

• Advertisement

I have started watching a charming little french rom-com series called the hook up plan. It's very light and fun. There are two series and another on the way.

Advertisement