Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Lost Daughter (2021) - The feature directorial debut of Maggie Gyllenhaal is adapted by her from the 2006 novel by Elena Ferrante. It follows a woman whose beach vacation takes a dark turn when she begins to confront the troubles of her past. The film stars Olivia Colman (The Favourite, The Crown), Jessie Buckley (I’m Thinking Of Ending Things), Dakota Johnson (A Bigger Splash, The High Note) and Peter Sarsgaard (Jackie).

Cobra Kai (2021) Season 4 - Decades after the tournament that changed their lives, the rivalry between Johnny and Daniel reignites in this sequel to the "Karate Kid" films..

Queer Eye (2021) Season 6 - Grab some tissues! An all-new "Fab Five" serve up hip tips, emotionally charged makeovers and heartfelt reveals that bring out all the feels.

John Bishop's Gorilla Adventure (2015) - Comedian John Bishop visits the Rwandan forest to learn about the endangered mountain gorilla from the vets who dedicate themselves to protecting them.

Stay Close (2021) Season 1 - Cush Jumbo, James Nesbitt, Richard Armitage star in this new thriller, which asks how much you really know someone. Four people each conceal dark secrets from those closest to them; Megan (Jumbo) a working mother of three, Ray (Armitage), a once-promising documentary photographer, Broome (Nesbitt) a detective unable to let go of a missing person’s cold case, and Lorraine (Sarah Parish), an old friend of Megan’s. As the past comes back to haunt them, threatening to ruin their lives and the lives of those around them, what will be their next move? When Carlton Flynn vanishes 17 years to the night after Stewart Green did, it sets off a chain reaction in the lives of people connected to both men...

Best Home Cook (2020) Season 1 - Amateur chefs from around Britain compete in delectable challenges to show off their chops in the kitchen and vie for the title of best home cook.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I felt like io was tied to my chair being slapped across the face with a dead fish for 2 hours.

It was kinda funny for about 20 minutes but there wasnt a movie in there.

Yes, we get it Mr Director/Writer. Social media is the demon, people are thick, and we are ignoring climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Watched , or rather was forced to watch The Power Of The Dog. It looked like it took place in Middle Earth instead of the wild west frontier. I know it was filmed in NZ but the locations broke immersion. The sets looked like they had been hammered together a week before filming resulting in a world or time that doesn't look lived in. Aesthetics and music seem heavily bowered/inspired by The Will Be Blood. Greenwood even cogged his own score from Blood. People may forget that In The Cut and Holy Smoke were laughable failures on release. Top Of The Lake was atrocious. Im thinking ol Jane is the female version PTA . Of course Even Horizon is far superior to the Piano. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Watched Don't Look Up last night - yawn.

To echo most of what has been said, it was entirely too long and so in your face (which I guess is the point).

Didn't care for DiCaprio's cheating character, Lawrence's character was interesting and I wanted more of Chalamet's.

Came away feeling disappointed given the strength of the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

1st January

Werewolves Within

Josh Ruben’s hilarious werewolf whodunnit shows the divided community of America with real charm.

Cats (2019)

Gangs of New York

Scream 4

The Constant Gardener

She’s the Man

The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power

Fracture

The Parts You Lose

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Marie Antoinette

Silver Linings Playbook

Moonrise Kingdom

Chief Daddy 2: Going for Broke

United 93

The Hook Up Plan: Season 3

Half Brothers

Rainbow Rangers: Season 2

Drop Dead Fred

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!

The Little Rascal

The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death

Jarhead

In the Name of the Father

State of Play

Ali G Indahouse

Shark Tale

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie

Kicking & Screaming

Bring It On: Fight to the Finish

It's Complicated

Problem Child 2

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Inside Man

Everest

Dreamgirls

Straight Outta Compton

The Hook Up Plan (2022) Season 3 French

Top Boy: Summerhouse

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have heard it said Werewolves Within is decent, and the best videogame adaption Hollywood has made - though an IP I doubt many have heard of (I hadn't) while passing through its cinema release unnoticed. Am curious to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It is decent, maybe a bit better than that, I was a bit disappointed but I'd had it hyped up quiet a bit. It's only 90 minutes but it flys by and it definitely passed the 6 laugh test for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Not a film, but S1 of Altered Carbon fits the bill here (netflix)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was Top Boy removed or has it just renewed the rights to show it?

Good timing with Scream 4 with the new one out this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I wasn’t sure about starting that show as it got cancelled after season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

S1 works fine as a standalone, it doesn't end on some huge cliffhanger. Altered Carbon is amazing but season 2 is awful, so much so I didn't even get past the first 2 or 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Someone doesn't know his PTA from his PWSA or at least reads that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Am I the only one who enjoyed "Don't look up" I get some of the criticism but overall it was an enjoyable few hours.

On a different note "Fracture" is on from tonight. Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling (I think) If I remember correctly it was a really good movie, definitely a re watch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched the first couple of episodes of the new Swedish dramedy Anxious People, it's a nice easy watch. Its based on a book by Fredrik Bachman (he also wrote a "man called ove" which was made into a rather excellent film in 2015)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They also slashed the budget; so among other things Season 2 looked really cheap. Like, SyFy channel cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I loved season 1 and only watched a couple of episodes of S2. Night and day in quality

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Like the others said, S1 can stand on its own and is brilliant. S2 is poor, but treat S1 as a long film

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Fracture is excellent. It has the same kind of plot to Primal Fear with Richard Gere and a brilliant Edward Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ltd440

Thanks to everyone who recommended midnight Mass,excellent mini series

Post edited by ltd440 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I recommend Norwegian movie The Trip. Dark comedy with no shortage of gore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Watched 14 Peaks, incredible achievement and wonderful cinematography. Editing was poor with lots of nonsense inspirational voiceovers. I felt it could've been a multi episode documentary which went more into the details of each mountain and it's challenges but they went the safe route and made something light aimed at the masses. It's worth a watch but could've been so much more

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Tried to watch The Hobbit tonight but no sign of it on my Netflix. Do they take a couple of days to come through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just rewatched The King, bloody superb movie

Advertisement