Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The lost daughter, awful sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Half way through Harlan Coben's Stay Close. It's excellent and very bingeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The trailer made it out to be a completely different kind of movie. Slow, boring, awful rubbish tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I see season 4 Ozark coming January 21st, will be a long few weeks must go back and re-watch season 3.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭dublin49

yeah we watched it.Amazed someone felt compelled to make a film with such a flimsy story.Bit dreary and slow,great list of actors but somewhat wasted I felt.Would not recommend it but some will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Agree. I thought it was just OK but my wife really hated it.

We didn’t think a lot of the story, flimsy as it was, made much sense. Present day Leda and her younger self seemed like entirely different people. Obviously played by different actors but they were two totally different people.

Definitely “one for the critics” imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Gentlemen (2020) - Making moves to sell his valuable UK cannabis empire, an American kingpin sets off a series of plots, schemes and barefaced plays for his business

She's the Man (2006) - Teenage Viola tries to convince the students at her twin brother's school that she's actually him in this twist on Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night."

The Nest (2020) - Jude Law and Carrie Coon star in Sean Durkin’s latest slow-burn thriller. In the '80s, an entrepreneur convinces his wife to move to a country manor in England. But the family unravels when she begins to see his true colors..

Added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Nest is astoundingly good, highly recommended - a slow, ominous study of a relationship and family slowly unravelling after they move to an overwhelmingly large house in England. Sean Durkin took his damn time following up from Martha Marcy May Marlene, and he delivered. Jude Law and Carrie Coon are both magnificent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anxious People is a lovely heart warming comedy drama ( light hearted ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

I liked it. Gorgeous scenes and some great acting, though I agree with the plot weaknesses e.g. The doll sub-plot. I was probably biased as I enjoyed My Brilliant Friend so much from same writer.

Having an irish young version of Colmans character was silly and confusing.There were lots of knowing looks that I didnt know what they meant,

There was a melancholic atmosphere to nearly every character that jarred.Wasnt the worst but can't understand the rave reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The Gentleman is Guy Ritchie back on Lock, Stock form; very entertaining, with a star turn from Hugh Grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Lots of love for it initially. The negative nancies came out of the woodwork then.

Very enjoyable movie.

And good call on Fracture. Can't remember the specifics. But there was something unexpected at the end I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Caquas

Lost Daughter has a stellar cast and lots of advance hype. It got a rapturous reception at the Venice Film Festival and it has won “universal acclaim” from the critics. I expect a number of Oscar nominations and Maggie Gyllenhall may win for her adapted screenplay.

It is a psychological drama where little happens, most of the characters are unsympathetic and their motivations are obscure. It will leave most Netflix subscribers cold.

Maybe I should be more empathetic towards a cranky middle aged woman remembering her life choices but maybe she should be a little more grateful for a life where she gets to “work” while holidaying on a Greek paradise island. Either way, this film did nothing for me and doesn’t seem to have any defenders here. I wouldn’t have minded a film with serious discussions of literature but we just get passing references to Yeats and Auden (shame on Paul Mescal for playing a student from Dublin with zero knowledge of Yeats!)

Are the filmmakers and the critics completely out of tune with their audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I really enjoyed don’t look up

second season of into the night wasn’t as good as the first but still enjoyable

half way through stay close, can’t stop watching if … I love this stuff anyway but really hope this doesn’t end shite.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think it's funny people were complaining about Netflix being full of crap, and then when a bunch of more quality stuff gets added everyone hates it too.

I think the question people need to ask themselves especially with films, is would they have paid to see something in the cinema. Maybe some of these films are just crap, or maybe people are watching things they never would have chosen to watch if it wasn't streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Based on the trailer for the lost daughter, I 100% would have went to the cinema to watch it. It looked right up my street, unfortunately the movie itself was absolutely tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I really liked it. I'm rather surprised at the negative reactions. Olivia Colman was excellent, portraying so many emotions very well. I felt Jessie Buckley's accent let her down at times, but overall, a film I'd both recommend and watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Never really took to The Gentlemen. Solid 3 out of 5 for me, wouldn't turn it over if it was on. Previous poster is correct though a great performance from Hugh Grant away from his normal softy roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I enjoyed Dont Look Up, which is what brought me here- is there any way to search Netflix by director as I want to see what other Adam McKay films they have there. I know they dont have Vice as I searched it last night but would like to find out what they do have by him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just type his name in the search bar. They've got Step Brothers, The Other Guys, and The Big Short

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I liked The Lost Daughter - definitely an assured and interesting debut for Gyllenhaal. I admire films that are confident enough to be as prickly and hostile as its characters - there’s a quiet, understated vibe of unease and tension to every encounter, even though it only occasionally boils over to outright hostility. It’s a film that seems straightforward on the surface, but has a sharpness to it that lets it stand out. Definitely more Euro-arthouse vibes than you’d typically see from an American filmmaker.

My one issue with it, as much as I think Jessie Buckley is one of our best actresses, is the flashbacks. Not so much the accents or performances… I just think some of those scenes zap momentum from the main, ‘present day’ storyline and just aren’t quite as interesting. Well acted throughout, but it just didn’t land as well for me as the rest of the film.

Not a home run debut by any stretch, but more than interesting enough to sign me up to whatever Maggie G has planned next.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finished anxious people.

Lovely, easy watch, sweet, only six episodes and gets better as it goes along. Would recommend.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Don’t look up was excellent, not sure where the negativity is coming from, thought the likes of hill and blanchett were great and dicaprio gave his usual top notch stuff. 8/10 from me

watched " the Nest " with Jude Law last night.Was ok,family upheaval drama along predictable lines ,watchable and held interest but nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Field east

On holiday and returning to Irelandtomorrow. Very efficient system and with such a Hugh demand for it ,. Thank u America

Advertisement