Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawkeye - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Yes but not the other way around - and the show dealt with some world changing events like the creation of InHumans and the return of S.H.I.E.L.D. to public attention.

it is an alternate reality pure and simple regardless of what the shows makers said at the start and clearly they knew it

The relationship between Barton and Bishop is great

and I really like that Bishop isn’t a cynic like Barton but is this life to help people and believes in superheroes

the Black Widow movie made it clear there is going to be an appearance in this show by Florence Pugh and I hope it is significant

Bishop’s earnestness and Yelena’s snark (is that the right word) should make them a great team in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Dunno about that, Feige recently confirmed Charlie Cox would play DD if/when he comes into the MCU, so anything can happen.

D+ shows have had a few opportunities to give a wink or nod to AoS, and each time it’s being ignored. So in my book the MCU have shaded AoS.

But also think your right if the theories on Laura are true, and if she’s not Bobbi Morse, then I guess they aren’t stepping on AoS toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Indeed, I would still consider right up to the end of season 2 when Coulson and Hill were getting the heli carrier out of mothballs for Fury to use in Age of Ultron to be canon. It's when the new director was introduced and brought SHIELD public as the point that the watcher brought in the new timeline.

Re Agent Carter, didn't that series pretty much decanon the earlier "One Shot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

To me they always had enough plausible deniability to say AOS was part of the main timeline of the MCU, as much as you need for most standalone MCU movies (e.g., why other Avengers/heroes don't show up to beat the bad guy).

For your examples, we've seen plenty of street level powered people floating around the MCU who don't come on the Avengers' radar to stop and Stark had built out the Avengers to the point where they didnt need any new SHIELD for support, especially with government ties.

I don't see how anyone could question how integrated they were during the initial series though, if they 'knew' it was an alternative reality they placed key plot points driven by the show in a $1.4 billion movie to support this lie. Plans clearly changed as time went on and internal politics shifted and they struggled to stay with the main MCU thread so had to make decisions that began to push it outside of the timeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Loving this show so far, they've nailed the balance of making a low level threat interesting and warm - especially leaning on Christmas. Special note to some of the mixing of music from older movies, didn't expect the emotional response to hearing the Vormir theme in that last episode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and really digging this. A balanced, low stakes adventure that proves the MCU really doesn't need to be running at 11 to work (assuming we don't get a last minute sky beam, but it really doesn't seem to be heading there). Steinfeld and Renner have great chemistry, without ever being too glib or facetious at the wrong moments.

Said it before but it feels like a warmer, more vibrant palette is being used. Everything just pops that bit more, the camera used to sell the emotion more than usual. These Disney+ shows have had much more adventurous directors.

And the hearing aid is immediately one of my favourite pieces of humanising applied to an Avengers: it's such an obvious, simple little piece of character work; with the phone call to his son being entirely heartbreaking. In many ways this is the level the Black Widow film should have been IMO, but that's another story.

Oh and if the "uncle" isn't who everyone's assuming it to be? Hoo boy there'll be tears on Twitter (though you'd think by now people would learn).

You seem to have misunderstood some of what I am saying.

It has nothing to do with why superheroes don’t turn up in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - same reason as they don’t turn up in each other’s movies all the time. It is about Agents, Eternals, Shang-Chi, etc.

yes there is there street level - much of what the Agents dealt with was the kind of threats they faced before Stark got his suit. And much of it doesn’t show up on Avengers radar is because S.H.I.E.L.D. cover things up.

im guessing that by “initial series” you meant “initial seasons” - I never said Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was NEVER integrated. The point I made was that when world changing events like InHumans, the return of S.H.I.E.L.D. to public attention, etc. occurred but had no impact or even mention in the movies was when the show had detached itself from the MCU.

And I never said the show was created as an alternate reality series. I meant that is how I look at it and that is what the producers and writers made it.

Charlie Cox did a great job on Daredevil but this hardly spitting on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

several actors from non-MCU Spider-Man movies are returning to ply those characters

in what way is not shoehorning in some mention of an unconnected TV series an insult to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

they don’t even reference each other

Coulson is favourite of mine and I’m glad something more was done with the character BUT his death in Avengers Assemble is a key point that changed a lot.

he was never going to be reintroduced into the movies. the show was fine as a team of heroes flying under the radar. When they started changing the world is when they decanonised themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,479 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah they did it

Kingpin is here!!!!!!!!

Yelena needs to drop that terrible accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,932 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And confirmed in the end credits with his name appearing now.

Of course, those who aren't familiar with the Netflix shows are probably wondering who the blurry picture is of.

One thing I'm liking with these series is showing blip returns. Liked the method they used here.

Funnily enough, when I returned to the Disney+ home screen, one of the Star Highlights is The Royal Tenenbaums.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The big question of course is if this is the Netflix Kingpin, or new Kingpin. Are they going to include his history from Daredevil or is he just a different multiversion of Fisk. We can tell he wasn't blipped since he was part of Ronin killing Maya's father which only could have happened during the 5 years.

Excited to see where they go with him. That said, I'm enjoying the show with or without him anyway. I love that they're keeping the whole thing very small and pretty self-contained. Obvious ties to the movies, but isn't reliant on them or future ones either. The performances are great and the story, though somewhat dragged out, is enjoyable. In many ways it may be the least exciting, but most enjoyable of the Marvel shows so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m 3 hours away from sitting in the cinema to watch Spiderman No Way Home and I’d bet my life on Charlie Cox being in it now. I love that they are sticking with the Netflix actors to play the roles (at least for Kingpin so far).

For me it doesn’t matter if the Netflix shows are mcu prime universe or an alternate universe. With the creation of the multiverse in mcu canon it makes everything canon. AOS can be a different universe but the actors (apart from Coulson) can all turn up in the mcu now just like J Jonah Jameson has and play almost exact versions of themselves. Seeing Chloe Bennetts Daisy Johnson again in a D+ show would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,932 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The big question at this point is: Will Clint make it home for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

AOS spoiler

Coulson did die at the start of AOS and was resurrected, but by the end he'd died again and stayed that way. The last season or 2 they'd a Coulson LMD (robot). Not much reason they couldn't have the LMD show up and just be secretive about what he and the rest of the AOS were up to.

Just on J Jonah Jameson he might have the same actor but he's very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It'd be nice to see Chloe Bennett get any sort of work, anywhere. She pulled out of Powerpuff Girls, the official word was to work on something else but so far nothing has been announced and some of her instagram pictures from earlier have me concerned for her health.

Anyway, tonights episode. Enjoyed that. I know someone above said that they hope Yelena loses the accent. I hope she doesn't. It got a bit jarring when eastern block characters like Wanda became all American all of a sudden. Anyone familiar with She Hulk actor's, Tatiana Malsaney, work in Orphan Black will remember Helena from that show. The Ukrainian accent was a big factor in that character as was the accents of all the Project Leda clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

She trying to copy Jodie Comers accent from Killing Eve? So bloody annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5: Nooo! Stop ending episodes like this!

Good episode all the same.

Kingpin next episode surely!?!?

and Hawkeye costumes!!

As I think back through the episode I think the arrow through the windscreen was one of the top moments. The build up, the guys telling the story, the shock, the scream, the reveal .. brilliant! 🙂

Cool to see Yelenas backstory from a not-seen-Black-Widow-yet point of view. Showing the blip time transformation was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

is he as big as he was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

God I’m loving that there Incorporating the Netflix actors into MCU. Hopefully we’ll see Charlie Cox now as well shortly in the movies. Daredevil was too good of a show not to go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,331 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This weeks episode, excellent. Terrific series so far, so consistently fun, it's a real shame there is only one episode left.

Florence Pugh is brilliant, she was one of the highlights in black widow, some great stuff here..."thank you for the girls night"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yelena is a good addition but there seems too many characters in this show now. Too many enemies and they still have the useless Russian gang wasting screen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good episode but once again this actress playing Maya is ruining it for me as she has the acting range of a plank. Her goons are being taken out before her eyes and she doesn't even show any reaction to it. When she has to show anger, her only emotion, it's like watching a stroppy teenager pouting. Did she base the character on Leslie Knope?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

You know the character is deaf right? She didn’t hear them being taken out. The first time she cops on is when she looks between the cars and notices her goons are missing and she immediately pulls a gun out. So she does react.

As for the casting…. I’m going to agree that I haven’t warmed to her yet as she’s only been allowed to play the role of “angry female who can fight” up to now. However, it’s one of her first, or maybe first roles, she’s actually deaf in real life, and I think it’s a good thing that they cast actors with real disabilities for characters with the same disabilities.

I’d say she has a range we aren’t seeing yet. I’ll hold judgement until her own series comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,479 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Best Marvel TV series on Disney. Beats Wanda Vision, Loki or Winter Soldier series hands down imo. Really enjoying that it's set over a 5 or 6 day period in the run up to Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Na Loki trumps every other Marvel show for The soundtrack alone before we get started on everything else.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thoroughly enjoying this show.. but it’s still coming in a close 2nd to Loki….

the Loki soundtrack was absolutely epic….. I actually got a new sound bar & woofer the week of the episode where they are on the wasteland planet with all the other Loki’s, and mother of god that intro nearly shook the house down!!!!

• Advertisement

Bumblebee is on Film4 right now if you want a bit of early Hailee Stienfeld

Advertisement