Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawkeye - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Loki and this sit tied for me, albeit occupying opposite ends of the spectrum. Maybe Hawkeye shades it, only barely, just for the earnest character work, and much needed "ground level" perspective in the MCU. Dunno why but watching Clint strap frozen drinks to sore, aching limbs was a good touch (and the hearing aid). I like Kate, her enthusiasm isn't cloying and gels well with the older archer.

And my new hobby horse continues unblemished, that the MCU should absolutely pivot to TV as its prime output, and film the "event" stories with suitably cinematic scale and flourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mockingbird :)

D'Onofrio is awesome.

Mid credit Broadway musical scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,146 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Better see more kingpin. Would have to imagine Echoe will feature him. I hope. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If Echo actually killed Kingpin, that show is going to be the one to die a death. People will absolutely hate her. So for now, I'm sticking with "didn't see them die = not dead".

Strong finale. Could have done without Jack literally walking around with a sword. Just because they make a joke about how ridiculous it is, doesn't make it okay. Could have at least explained it that he was willing to protect her from Kingpin because he still loved her or something. But all other threads tied up nicely. The Yelena story especially, and a strong farewell to Nat's character.

Wonder if we'll see a season 2, or if maybe Kate will just show up in something in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finale of action

Feige just reminding us of where he stands on the Netflix series? Same end due for Daredevil and Quake if they show up?

Aren't the LARPers all first responders? So why not dress in their uniforms? Why would the people obey them in cosplay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wouldn't give it too much thought but..........it's the MCU New York so aliens and all sorts show up there, and if taking realisim into a unrealistic situtation they shouldn't be wearing the uniforms off duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I love Jack, but in a way it's disappointing as it feels like a waste of the actor to use him for such an unknown character.

Man what a blast it was to see D'Onofrio again, I was wondering would this variant have a change in personality but I had a big smile on my face seeing the bubbling rage that we all knew from Daredevil.

Given what we saw him survive throughout the episode I doubt he's dead. If he is it would be criminal to bring him back just for that.

I can see Mockingbird getting a bit of a mentor role in the next season of this or the Echo series it gives a reason not to have Hawkeye going forward as he will be at home minding the kids which also gives Renner a break. I am sure Linda Cardellini would love to do some action scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For the week that's in it  D'Onofrio dressed as Kingpin from Amazing Spider-Man Family Business

I still don't understand the watch.

I know it is hers.... But...

Why was kingpin/tracksuit mafia after it in the first place?

Maybe it's something that will be answered in a season 2 or Echo.

Feels weird for it to have been the catalyst and never told why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I didn't know myself and had to look into it. It's confirmation that Clint's wife was a member of Shield, codename Mockingbird.

Yes... But that doesn't explain why this all started with the watch. It just tells us who it belonged to. We've no idea why it was deemed so important. We can guess, but feels odd it was the catalyst and we don't know exactly why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't think the watch in the wrong hands actually put anyone in danger, it's just one of those "because the lady loves..."

May we have a moment to remember Bobbi Morse as played by Adrianne Palacki. The official MCU Mockingbird from 2014 to 2021.

Anyway moving on, Loved that. There was no rewrite of Kingpin, still the same Daredevil Nemesis. Hailee Stienfeld impressed me a lot and I hope Kate Bishop makes the big screen soon.

The watch wasn't really what any of the bad guys were after. It was just stolen from the rubble of the destroyed Avengers compound and being sold as a keepsake. But Clint knew it belonged to, and could potentially lead to his wife, now revealed as a retired Mockingbird.

The most important thing was the Ronin costume, but he wanted to get her watch back too. Whoever had it though likely wasn't aware of the actual link to Laura/Bobbi.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I loved episode 6. Good action scenes and character stuff it also moved at a cracking pace. The cast was top notch great chemistry.

Such a consistently good series. I would happily watch another, I'm sure Kate Bishop will pop up in other places at least.

The mid credit scene was fun too.

I loved loki and wandavision but didn't find either as consistently good.

No.

The watch was the priority item to steal at the auction. The tracksuit mafia were specifically looking for the lot number of the watch, they were not after the ronin costume or sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

wow they really dumbed down Kingpin for this show. He was not the complex sophisticated version from Daredevil tv show but closer to the dumb one from the Daredevil movie. Also surprised Yelena took so long to get to the truth of her sisters death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finished! Overall, really good. Definitely recommend as a Christmas binge!

6: Oh that was good! Good story, good action, good special moments, good jokes and all well tied together into the MCU. Even still, given I've missed a few films now, it stands well on it's own.

Really liked:

Hawkeye and Yelena! That was a tops moment between them there at the end.

Kingpin! 90s animated spiderman feeling Kingpin!

Kate as Clint said.. going toe to toe and walking away!

The OWL! THE OWWWLL!!!

Clint getting the rope as well but then it snapped!! 😂

Yelena and Kate running through the building .. that was hilarious!

Oh yeah and Kate talking to the tracksuit dude about the relationship advice!

Mid..Credits.. eh kinda scene 😁

Was that a first in-theather Musical Credits Scene? 😀

Future.. I eh.. well I think there's gonna be more

Both Hawkeye (maybe a Kate as Hawkeye) show but also Kingpin. No Way was he taken out by Maya.

It might make a great opener for her spin-off show but she's not going to have killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thoroughly enjoyed that - better than Loki even

Really liked the Kate/Yelena scenes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bitterly disappointed with that. I thought it was dreadful.

The first 30 minutes or so were played for far too many laughs. I felt like I was watching one of the Hot Shots movies. The stuff with Yelena and Kate just seemed far too goofy for the stakes involved. Why is Kate being so quirky and zany over a woman coming to kill her friend? If the characters aren't taking the threats seriously, how can the audience? Clint in the tree, Kate on the wire, Jack with the sword, the LARPers, it was like they were trying to cram in a gag every minute. I no longer cared what would happen to the protagonists because the writing meant it didn't matter.

Some of it made no sense. Why did the tracksuits that went for Kate have guns but the ones that went for Jack were unarmed? That was convenient. Why was Jack seemingly unfazed by what had been done to him by Kate's mother? Why were there no police on the scene, helicopters mobilised etc. when Yelena and Clint were fighting? This was a good while after the initial commotion.

Kingpin...wow. Talk about making this guy look like the most pathetic bad guy of all time. This was almost as bad as what they did to The Mandarin first time round. He gets his ass whooped by the sidekick? Really? That's like having Joker get thwarted by Robin. I couldn't believe what I was seeing with this. I'm assuming he wasn't shot at the end or else it wasn't fatal but they may as well have done it because he looks so weak now. Clint didn't even give a damn about him when it was over. Such a waste.

I've said plenty about the wooden, charisma vacuum aka Maya but she was particularly bad in this episode. The actress just can't act. Period. Her 'sad face' in the death scene was basically her pouting angry face but slightly scrunched up a tad more. Abysmal.

It was predictable that Yelena wasn't going to kill Clint after but the manner in which the fight stopped was terrible. A whistle? That's what cuts through with her? The writers thought this would be some powerful moment but it just felt forced and lame. This whole plot point has been a big disappointment. They could have perhaps had Yelena be misinformed all along about what happened and then discover the truth. The audience would relate to that more. Her motives for this arc haven't felt at all proportionate or believable and it ended up so underwhelming.

I had enjoyed this show for the most part and would have rated it about an 8/10 going into this, but this episode was diabolical. I'd rate this episode about a 4 at best. I normally think Marvel endings suck because they go for the CGI crutch and shoot special effects up the wazoo, but that wasn't the problem here. The problem here was the writing sucked. The characters didn't see what was happening was a big deal, and, ultimately, they were right. It wasn't. This was more Pinkeye than Hawkeye. Thumbs way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Acosta

You covered most of what I didn't like about that last episode. I really enjoyed the series up to this point and it's still easily my 2nd favourite of the new shows after Wandavision. However that was too goofy and predicable. And where are the cops and people in general? Also, that was the worst and most irritating mid/post credit scene in the entire MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

That's how I remember it, the whole Ronin aspect of the show emerged because Kate put it on to hide her identity when fighting the tracksuits who were after the watch, it was the instigating McGuffin and I think it was mentioned all of 3/4 times. Very odd.

No more Mr. Nice Guy 🙄

It was always sold to us as a holiday romp, not some return of the Netflix universe grit. Because of who was involved and where it was set Kingpin HAD to be in it.

Though one thing bugging me, when did Maya find time to visit the hairdressers and turn up to the fight looking like Rosa Diaz from Brooklyn 99?

Ha yeah Maya,probably went to the same hairdresser as Yelena. It did bug me that right after kingpin told Maya that she was bringing a,spotlight on his activities through her public fights he decides to send hundreds of goons against a rich party in a hotel in the Rockefeller centre. Probably the dumbest plan in mcu history. All he needed was a big bomb.

He didn't want to wipe everyone out, he just needed Mrs Bishop put down.

I think it's unfair to say about how Kingpin was beaten by the sidekick. She shot him in the gut with an arrow and he pulled it out and kept attacking her. But he got hit by a car (travelling at a ridiculous speed with no run-up) and he kicked the crap out of Kate until she literally set off an explosive at his feet which threw him across a store. And he still walked/limped away.

Daredevil would have taken him down pretty easily too if he hit him with a car and threw a grenade at him.

So why not have someone kill her on the way to the party. Also why turn up yourself and try and kill her. In the Daredevil tv series kingpin did do stupid things but only after a few events pissed him off. I know that Hawkeye was trying to have a spectacular ending but plan was so out of character for kingpin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He was pissed off though, several elements of his business were falling apart at the same time and he specifically says something like they needed to make 'an impression'.

Also, it makes sense that he'd lurk in the background to see how things are going - it isn't like he ran in with the first charge. He saw an opportunity to kill her before she got away and took it in pretty impressive fashion, killing multiple people with ease, ripping a door off a car, and surviving multiple attacks that would kill most.

Post edited by Foxtrol on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Did you watch Black Widow? Their whistle was a key part of their relationship from the time when they were kids undercover in Ohio. Clint had tried repeatedly to explain to Yelena how close he was to Nat and wouldn't have caused her death but Yelena didn't believe him because yes she had been relying on misinformation all along, in the post credit scene of Black Widow we see Yelena be lied to that Clint was responsible for Nat's death by Julia Louis-Dreyfus - which led her to take the job to kill Clint even though she was out of the assassin game.

Clint knowing the whistle showed Yelena how close they were because Nat was such a guarded person that Yelena knew she would never have shared it with someone she didn't trust completely and love. Being surprised to hear the whistle Yelena likely expected to never hear again in itself would also knock her out of the rage she was in, bringing back the memory of Nat who brought out the warmer side in her. For me it was a great way to close off that storyline and fitted perfectly in with her character.

Advertisement