Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Difficult to predict more than 3-4 months out but I would be very surprised if WFH restrictions are lifted this side of May the way things are going. Return to office will only be allowed once the covid situation is back under control which seems a long way off right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,907 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

which is a nonsense really. adult population basically fully vaccinated, kids getting it but its no worse than the normal winter doses they get, elderly getting boosters, im not sure what we are hiding from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This dramatically reduces the carbon footprint of those calls too.

Is the footprint not removed enough by people not commuting to work, not flying to meet, that we need to decrease data usage by going backwards 60 years ?

Sadly there is no shortage of potential cases in Ireland, we are not shy of taking legal action. The insurance companies will demand virtual workspace inspections, which should be easy enough to accomplish. The German in particular case shouldn’t happened in Ireland as employers are not responsible for commutes, be they by bus, car or down the stairs. But, say, you trip around your workstation because of a poor layout, and it were demonstrated the employer made no type of inspection of the set-up at any time, then you might have a case, especially if you, eg, broke your wrist and were unable to continue your work for a period as a result. A court would likely be sympathetic to lost earnings.

• Advertisement

Looks like you need three jabs to protest against Omicron or whatever its called and its only 70% effective.

Looks like WFH is here to stay for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah and the 70% vaccine efficacy only refers to the *first month* after you have got the Pfizer booster. The efficacy might wane again after the first month.

This only adds risk to indoor gatherings like indoor offices for the foreseeable future.

Maybe getting the Omicron specific vaccine, which Pfizer say could start to be distributed from March, might be the pre-requisite to returning to gatherings in indoor offices. But giving the Omicron specific vaccine to everyone over 16 will take months.

A few milligrammes at most, but it does save the eyes of the participants from your WFH garb!

Politicians who have got so fat on power that they can't let go. In reality, they're scared of a single death being put at their feet if they relax the restrictions, despite the facts showing that we're past all the deadly variants causing havoc.

Yeah, but for how many calls on how many days across how many organisations? It all adds up pretty quickly.

Nope, it's not removed. It may well be lessened, though the cost of heating loads of individual homes, many of which will be poorly insulated and will not have zoned heating, will go against all that.

But that's a separate issue anyway, that's a done deal. The question is - for any given call, do you actually need video. Or do you need video for all participants for all of the call? There is a carbon cost to video over audio, maybe 6-12 times the carbon cost of audio, depending on the video quality. So is there a good reason for it? Does it actually help anyone?

• Advertisement

It at least gives some sort of approximation of meeting in person which people mostly can't do at the moment , so yes it is important. Facial cues are very important.

Facial cues are hugely important in human communication. Silences in voice calls can be tense moments as cues of any kind are absent. There has to be a continuity during voice alone communication, putting pressure to fill in any momentary gaps where due thought might happen.

Not destroying our planet with huge data centres hogging all the available power is kinda important too.

Video on by default for all users for all meetings is wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

But even if Pfizer come out with an Omicron specific vaccine in March, the risk of waning thereafter, the risk of new variants, the risk of re-infections, the risk of subsequent Winter waves and even the risk of dual circulation with Delta exists.

I can't see this pandemic ending anytime soon and I can't see companies being in a position to risk putting staff back in crammed indoor offices for the foreseeable future.

I don't doubt that some companies will try whenever the risk lowers in the coming months (May/June maybe) but no doubt they will need to reverse course yet again when the risk profile changes yet again.

When do companies just give up on return-to-office? and make most roles fully remote? How long and how many botched attempts is it going to take before companies accept this likely outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have to say that evenings seem so much longer and full of potential when you are working from home. I seem to have time to get loads done including fitness stuff. I guess I am way less tired too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The speed that Omicron is spreading, it is likely to have infected the entire population of Ireland (regardless of current vax/boosted status) before March, by the time the vaccine has been modified, it will be obsolete as the virus will have burned out or mutated into something else.

Then what??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My company told us 2 months ago that everyone can work from home until the end of June (end of school year). The don't even intend starting the discussion on hybrid until May but I am 95% convinced that they will offer 100% WFH as a long-term option. Otherwise people will walk. Several people have moved far away from the office and have no intention of commuting.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Some interesting bits from the article below

• Lyft Inc. employees who were supposed to be back at their desks in February now won’t be required to show up until 2023.
    • Ford Motor Co. pushed back a January return to date to March
    • Google and Uber Technologies Inc. shelved their plans indefinitely to see how the omicron variant plays out.
    • Almost half of human-resources leaders are looking to reduce office space as they develop future hybrid models, yet close to a quarter said they expect staff to fully return to an in-office setting
    • Only 11% of the more than 500 HR executives polled said they plan to go fully remote. At the same time, only 17% of non-executive workers want to return fully to the office and many are open to new jobs to maintain flexibility
    • Vista (formerly Vistaprint) - About three-quarters of new hires say they picked the printing company specifically because of its remote-work focus. The company’s Boston-area office has shrunk to about 70,000 square feet of collaborative meeting spaces and shared desks, down from the previous 300,000-square-foot traditional office layout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

I'm not sure that it isn't well founded. A lot of companies have had a huge paradigm shift forced on them by the pandemic, but so far many have adapted reasonable well, and some have seen an opportunity to reduce outgoings by downsizing their office space footprint. Great, good luck to them, but many would also love to get the drones all back under the one roof.

As for your claim that remote workers are being exploited, well it certainly doesn't feel that way to me. Not only has my quality of life improved, but I'm better off financially - to the tune of a lot more than the extra heat and light costs and I have the savings to prove it. Now, if my employer suddenly says "Hey Storker, have some extra cash to offset your increased heat and light expenses", sure I'll take it. But demanding it? No way.

In the real world it comes down to a risk vs reward assessment; the possible reward of a small amount of cash versus the risk of losing the most positive change in working conditions I have experienced in my entire working lifetime, because the employer suddenly decides it's not worth the hassle of paying/administering the utility contributions. And years of dealing with upper-management bullshit has convinced me that this is a much more likely scenario than you imagine. If the employer is hell-bent on downsizing the premises, then perhaps they might go along, but it's a gamble, and the potential loss to the the employee who likes working from home massively outweighs the small amount of difference to heating and lighting bills.

If this is exploitation, bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

That is exactly my feelings, far more eloquent than I could manage.

I'm a contractor working for a large multinational.

Direct employees were all offered hybrid across all the bases globally.

I got my return to office date last week for January.

No WFH at all permitted on return for contractors. No exceptions.

Same company are publishing articles on how they are enabling WFH with their software. CEO talking about work/life balance and productivity for both customers and employees. All meaningful stats improved since full WFH. No data breaches. No negatives I can directly see.

It's changed my life incomparably to the positive. I'm not going back.

Do you think you'll get extra cash for space, light and heat without actually asking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

Which part of "I don't care about it" are you having trouble understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The employer is paying for security and technology infrastructure to enable WFH. If the employer pays for space, light and heat, I assume that you will insist that the employee reimburse the Employer likewise?

Him and Mr's O Bumble have been spouting non stop nonsense about working from home since the whole thing started prior to Covid. They can't get their heads around working from home is not a new concept.

Best thing to do is just put them on the ignore list which I have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

For Renko, it's runs much deeper than just WFH. The whole idea that employers will save money too eats him up inside and is tearing him apart. Hence the obsessive posting repeating the same thing over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭thomas 123

This has got to be the dumbest comment i've ever read on the internet.

20 people hop in their car, drive to an office, sit face to face for a few mins and drive home. Thats after they have their shower, do makeup, get into their fancy clothes so they "Look good", get a takeaway coffee in a non recyclable cup, heat and light an office.

= using a bit of server bandwidth. LOL.

Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think it is just in comparison to audio only meetings

Advertisement