Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Should be of interest to most on here, hope it’s the right thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

The CIE boss was very reasonable and correct. Could you only imagine if Ireland was not a nation populated by halfwits and run by psychopathic publicans what we could have had by now... Depressing to watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

Northern line no there's an different solution proposed, southern line yes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

DART+ Fleet announcement soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Due to be made at 11.00, contract award details.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Advertisement

Confirmed, 95 initial carriages ordered and Alstom has won the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

good to see proper bike facilities and automatic wheelchair ramps. Also a 15 year maintenance contract which means these snazzy new features might actually continue working after the first couple of years, unlike the previous new carriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Is Alstom France that won the contract? Or Bombardier (which is now owned by Alstom as well)?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

After our last experience of Asltom DMUs, a 15 year period of keeping them responsible for all issues was probably a red line requirement. The 8200s spent less than half of that in service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully they have AC and the seats are designed for Western European sized people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why is that dart in the video terminating at Connolly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because its what they had a reusable wireframe of for the animation probably.

Its also coming off Platform 3, which has no catenary (4 does) so presumably its in BEMU mode :pac:

Alstom press release on the X’trapolis order:-

Due to enter service in 2025, the initial order is for six five-car electric multiple units (EMUs) and thirteen five-car battery-electric multiple units (BEMUs), capable of journeys beyond 80 kilometres outside the electrified network under battery power

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think it's Bombardier. They refer to a battery electric DMU developed at Hennigsdorf (not far from me here to the north of Berlin) and that is/was a Bombardier site:

https://rail.nridigital.com/future_rail_sep21/industry_news

That'd be the BEMU tech going in to it; the actual train type is an X'Trapolis which is a Alstom design.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers! Be interesting to see where they are made. I read of another X'Trapolis model where the cab units were built by Alstom and the intermediates were built by Bombardier. I'd head down to the factory to take some pics if they are going to be built in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm really loving the look of these new carriages. When I had a look at these new carriages on RTÉ News earlier today; I was seriously impressed with the presentation of them.

They are just absolutely beautiful.

The livery seen in the video looks very smart.

The specs that are being provided in these new carriages IMO do aim to create plenty of tangible benefits to make them more modern, more spacious and more inviting to the passengers eye.

Removing the gangways in these new carriages does create loads of opportunities for passengers to move around the carriages with little to no disruption involved while the train tries to keep up with it's own schedule.

You just have to think how much time would be saved when you try and switch through carriages while the train is moving from one station to the next.

It's also creates new benefits in providing foldable seats on the Dart fleet for the 1st time ever to allow more wheelchair users to have access within these new trains.

If wheelchair users see this on the new trains. They would be absolutely delighted with that new benefit being given to them when they get to take a journey on these new trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

In fairness they fixed that on the most recent Dart order; it was the initial set of Japanese Darts that had very tight seating. It's inexplicable that those seats got through any sort of due-diligence. Presumably IÉ sent someone to inspect the design, did they send a very short employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is platform access the bigger barrier for wheelchair users using the service at the moment?

I think I'm also a bit old fashioned, in that I prefer the older style of livery, with so much green in it.

And I prefer the flat front, rather than the sloped design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looking forward to travelling on these in 2025.

Wonder if the D1, D2 etc route numbers in the simulation will become a thing, and if it does it would be a very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

With the scale of the planned expansion to the network, this would definitely be needed. It will be interesting to see what exactly the service patterns will be like, have they mentioned that at all in the consultations? I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yeah. Going from the promo video above on Twitter. A good question to ask at this point would be how many D route numbers would need to be created for DART+ if all lines were opened within each phase.

We could also assume here that they would need to provide a different letter in place alongside the route number when each phase of the project is opened to the public.

I'd imagine this new route numbering system would also be in place for DART+Tunnel if that piece of vital infrastructure gets built as a separate project.

To give some examples below.

HS - Howth Shuttle

and

W1- Maynooth to Spencer Dock

W2 - Maynooth to Dún Laoghaire

W3 - Maynooth to Bray

W4 - Maynooth to Greystones

and so on for other phases of DART+............

I hope this would helps with what I'm trying to explain here. I know some of the new route numbers are mixed up with BusConnects. Maybe the different lettering for each phase would be too complicated to learn off by heart. But it could address how it could be created when these new services are up & running.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

Prior to today every document relating to DART+ that I have read mentioned sets would be either HLU = 4 cars or FLU = 8 cars, did anything mention 5 cars?

Unless these 5 car formations are shorter (or much longer and offer more capacity) then existing stock then there will be less flexibility afforded. Or perhaps further orders will be 4 and 8 cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

These new 5 car sets are a very similar length to the existing 4 car sets. Two new 5 car sets can join together into a new 10 car set with similar length to the existing 8 car set.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

I'm sure you can't give much away but are these plans expected to be 'controversial'.

And by southern line I assume south of Connelly?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes, they're shorter carriages so a new 5 car = old 4 car. And the tender for 600 carriages became 750 carriages. It's not a larger order or a longer trainset. Just a different design.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It'll operate as a 3 line system basically:

1Greystones to Drogheda

Maynooth/Dunboyne to Grand Canal Dock

Hazelhatch to Docklands

Some additional services will be terminating in connolly so I guess that'll make up a suffix like D2a/b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There could also be trains terminating at Dun Laoghaire as a turnback was suggested for there.

I think it would be best to not brand trains to Drogheda as DART. They will have to skip lots of stations and travel well outside the Dublin area. Better just having the end station on DARTs as there will likely be multiple variations rather than every train going to the same fixed terminus. DARTs should stop at every station and then have outer services from Drogheda, Mullingar, Kildare, etc. which are clearly identifiable as limited stop, longer distance trains.

Advertisement