Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protest

• 12-12-2021 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I see a group of farmers are protesting in Kilcock. No coverage on RTÉ but you’d expect that. Farmers are being treated very poorly at the moment. Only one thing will be achieved- the Cuffe chap will be forced to go. The best of luck to the lads protesting, IFA would do nothing anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Is this protest organised outside of the IFA similar to the beef protests and pickets a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see the anonymous enviro accounts are targeting Pat O Toole on twitter.

Pat joined an Taisce. Cuff is very close to their hearts. The enviro machetes are being pulled out now.

The best of luck to those farmers.

It's a savage game. Farmers finally have hit on a very tender spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Doubt they'll get any sympathy from the public if they start disrupting the lives of ordinary people by block roads or doing the drive slows. It could backfire very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's a lot of farmer opinion against the protest, Any farm organisation would be foolish to plough in behind them.

This could do a lot of harm like the beef protest did, so be as well to wait to see what they achieve before criticising IFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They got alot of public support in Dublin the last time they were up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Doesn't seem to be alot against the protest around here anyways. Don't forget its not just the farmers. Its the haulage industry, SMEs, the Dublin taxis and limo drivers are supporting it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Yeah I can imagine the support you'd get by making an ordinary Joe queue for 2 hours to get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Firstly, Cuffe, as an MEP, has as much power as you and I to influence banking policy so his the wailing and gnashing of teeth over his letter is giving him more attention than he deserves.

Secondly, since it pretty clear that most farmers would never, ever vote Green so the fact that farmers are upset won’t matter a damn to them.

finally, how exactly is blockading a supermarket distribution centre going to get a green MEP to step down?

A huge amount of stuff goes out of musgraves every day, I wonder is there many more musgraves depots to take up the slack, if this is blocked for long the shelves won't be long emptying,

The plan is to hit another distribution centre today if they have the support, but I'd say they haven't the support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Most of the truckers protesting are the ones that undercut everything be else the last year and now can’t afford diesel

so my milk haulier says any way

It's just a straw to grab on to, A reason for action, this wasn't an issue when this protest was being planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d love to know what the harm was that the beef protest caused? And I don’t mean in a IFA this or Beef Plan that sense, I mean what harm did it cause?

Beef farmers are getting 8 cent/kg more for every in spec animal they’ve killed since the protest due to the rise in the QA bonus given at the time. That’s about €28 per head on an average 350kg carcass. We’ve also seen a big improvement in the grading of cattle, or certainly I and all my neighbours have in the midlands based factories. Cattle are all grading at least one grade better than they would have since the protest due to all the focus that was put on grading machines and their calibration at the time. That’s worth at a minimum 6 cent per head and depending on the type of stock could be worth up to 18 cent per head if the better grade gets you into QA spec so that’s from €21 to €63 per head extra since the protest. So that’s a minimum of €49 per head and possibly €91 per head extra for every animal killed since the protest. It certainly made a huge difference to my end of year accounts since

Now I appreciate a semi-retired sheep farmer who doesn’t actually have any cattle, and so the protest was irrelevant to, is not going to know or understand any of that but if you actually asked any beef farmers you’d find out this information.

I heard plenty of complaints at the time, the new graders were being put in anyway, and unless you know what the base price should be the bonus isn't worth a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

If they think that Cuffe's comments have caused problems for farmers, the protest should be at Cuffe's office. How can it be fair or sensible to block food going to your own consumers, when they have absolutely nothing to do with the issues in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You realise thats how most businesses work, put in a price you think you can do it for and you get the job or not, diesel is up 27 percent on last year so its hard to keep a contract when you could be paying an extra 100 euro plus per truck per day on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

They should get every mart and meat factory to slip in a little levy for them, opt out of course.. ten million per annum would be a mighty achievement..

The only thing they can do is discredit it with bluster and misinformation.

This farmer is of a vintage that has his money made, has no dependents or borrowing, is pocketing his sfp and the money he was losing on his cattle bothered him less than the inconvenience of holding fit cattle.

All his commentary about grading, the unfair price structure penalising his quality beef, is hard to take seriously after he criticised people who went out on a limb to do something about it.

a fine commentator but this wasn’t his finest hour.

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Advertisement

Just on protests - not specifically this one. Farmers have to change tactics. The old BS of gathering outside a department or a politicians office is a waste of time. Regardless of our own divisions we don't have the voting power to worry politicians. One only needs to think of the environmental pressure coming on farming vs. every other fossil fuel based activity in society. Politicians won't act as severely against a lot of fossil fuel based activities simply because they'd be unpopular for doing so. Farming needs to look outside of itself and it's history to find new methods of leverage. I'd go so far as to say we need to closely examine both our adversary groups and international events. Tractor cades and speech-I-fying, I'd rather hit myself in the head with a plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

so what group are actually protesting outside musgraves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sadly all protests are similar, you show you’re not happy with status quo, but outcome doesn’t change, big dogs win again

So you’re quoting an article written 2 weeks after the protest ended? Did you ask that same man at any stage in the past few months what his opinion on it was? Did you ask how his end of year accounts are looking since?

Like any protest you take short term pain for long term gain. And now 2 years later the gain has far outweighed the short term pain.

I would also completely discredit that article on the basis he said there were no beef farmers at the protests. I’m a beef farmer and I was there, the majority of people from my neighbourhood that were at the protest were, and still are, beef farmers. On that point alone his article has to be discredited as quite frankly what he was saying was untrue.

I kept sheep many years ago. I would still have a reasonable knowledge on them but not enough to start telling current sheep farmers what they should or shouldn’t be doing and what is a good or bad move for their business. I’d assume it’s the same for you with beef so it’s probably best to leave the advice on beef farming to people that are actually involved in, and knowledgeable about, beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

People are entitled to their opinion, IFA have delivered 100s of million to farmers over the last few years yet there's farmers taht say that it was for the factories but as far as I know the farmer got the cheque and if they were idiot enough to give it to the factory it wasn't anyones fault but their own.

It's fairly obvious it was a rising market any way and unlike the sheep facories the beef processors are not returning the increase to the farmers, That's why I say that the base price is not where it should be, After all lambs are at least 60% more than the beef price. so any bonus is well absorbed by keeping down the base price

Yes people are entitled to their opinion, but when their opinion is being printed in a national newspaper and it’s very easily proven as being untrue then that opinion should rightly be ignored.

It certainly wasn’t a rising market when the protests started with procurement managers openly talking about getting the price down to €3 per kg. So I suppose the fact that it’s rising since then should be credited to the protest?

Like I said, you’re better off sticking to the sheep.

I think you should know me well enough now not to be telling me what not to post

• Advertisement

You can post whatever you like and I, and everyone else, can do the same (once it’s within the Boards charter obviously!!). But don’t expect people to take on board your views when they can so easily be proven as untrue and biased towards some sort of an irrational hatred of people that achieved something you failed to do in the numerous protests you were involved in. And for the record I stood at some of them beef protests over the years also. I didn’t know who you were at the time as I wasn’t on boards but I’d say we were stood not too far apart, and in unity, at them.

If I start to give advice on sheep or dairy it wouldn’t be long before I’d be shown up to be far less knowledgeable on them topics than a lot of other people here. The same goes for you with beef, it’s just best left to the people that understand it.

Advertisement