Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protest

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well fair's fair if the cow on your acre is making €1500, any way it'll depend on the market on the day of the auction.

You'd be better off setting a house probably

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Fairness or not. I think it's a poor reflection on anyone if the first reaction to them hearing someone is making a profit no matter what size it is that they reckon they aren't paying enough for the basics.

Suppose thats just for the private businesses and no one else it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

It is and it isn’t reggie. In fairness it would be foolish to not maximise your own situation. There is a tipping point but if he’s blowing about 1500 a cow then you know you can do your own share of milking.

as for the protests they are seen as a complete joke around me with anyone I’ve been talking to.

I don’t always agree with what wrangler says but he is right about this and the beef plan protests even if it is a bitter pill to accept. I protested with beef plan and was strongly supportive at the start but it slowly went into a certain element of people who just wanted a fight for the sake of a fight. It’s the same in this situation lads protesting for the sake of protesting with no proper clear objective.

Comes with managing your own business I suppose, you have to maximise your profit. I'm sure you're charging plenty too.

The market will work in the case of setting land, Ithought I had done well yet land beside me made a good bit more. but there is a time coming when the turn will come because I don't know where the tenants are going to come from for the land that'll be coming on the market in the next ten years.

High prices always cure high prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It's 1500 euro now is it, I thought a 1000 euro was the height of it before even a five year with basic maths could pick apart that narrative, he probably has next years urea landed in the yard at 350 a ton aswell, he'll surely break the 2k mark a cow next year with rising milk prices

Yea, thet's the reason I said €500/acre with a warning, I could claim over 400/acre inc entitlements but they're going to be blown out of the water next year so hopefully the land rent figure will stand till the end of the lease at least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Given they are capping the allowable hectares for the environmental side of the new cap like criss etc, so obviously your tenants can't draw this down will you still look for it, likewise the 60k cap...

If your headline rental figure is 500 acre all-in entitlements included, is it expressly lined out in your lease agreement that's the price payable to you regardless of what takes place with the new cap for the entirety of the lease and if your tenants lose 150 euros acre of sfp they have to make up the difference

No, the lease states the rent plus70% of the BPS while I have entitlements , That 30% of the BPS that my tenant gets left the rent very cheap for him yet i did well also, That's the reason I said I hope he stands on on the rent at least.

Only a third of my land is rented with entitlements so there should be no change on the rest.

There's no point in screwing good tenants either

Local Rep looks a bit silly on the front of the farming indo yesterday, the Indo obviously were gone to press before they stood down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭straight

He's some fool of he thinks he's making 1500 per cow. 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Looking at Facebook there on the irish farming discussion group and there is some scutter being talked about the protests and who is/isn’t involved.

looks like the group that supposedly organised the musgrave protest is distancing themselves over fear of a law suit. So much for not moving until they get what they want.

all these splinter groups are just making farming representation so weak and non existent.

i know the Ifa hurt people too over their pay scandal, but I don’t know, maybe if everyone complaining about them went to their meetings they could influence the direction they want the group to go.

that musgrave protest goes to show you can’t just do things on a whim. The radical splinter groups haven’t a pot to piss In. It’s good IMO the Ifa is showing a profit. They can pay for legal advice etc.

farmers need to pull together, not apart, or governments won’t entertain them at all. After all, it’s not the fear Of protests why the government’s of the past respected the Ifa, it was the sway they had on the farmers vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭epfff

I didn't think the pay scandal was a major scandal. I thought it as much highlighted how out of touch the members are with payscales in other professions.

My issues with ifa i am one of the ones that wasn't given a large sfp or ball of capital by last generation and had to work off farm to get starter money so now nearly all policies and demonstrations by ifa are to take money from me. (except Beam which came at cost and now I think has canceled itself out).

I worked within the organisation and Imo was very successful in helping a lot of farmers in my own time but when it was suggested I be put forward for roles I was stopped by older farmers that were afraid of progression.

I cant see how it can be justified/fair that now pensioners farming simular land/acerage to me can have double my farming dole/bps or whatever its called now.

I see the ifa as a semi retired group of haves whos main aim is to stop the have nots.

I decided to move away and I do hope the once great organisation finds it way again.

People that i know that were at the protest tolld me that the top three were threatened with injunctions, which would've stopped it immediately.

Had musgraves won their case they could've made those three pay the costs for the day

However I'd be surpeised if musgraves did that as it would give the very bad press, ie a multimillion Euro businesss going after a few farmers. but it was extremely unwise for asset owners to risk it like that.

I've just looked at the facebook posts and it's difficult to believe such sad people exist, good job I'm not on facebook or I'd be in another row.

Advertisement