Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti-vax/science/lockdown folks facing consequences in the courts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I don’t anything about this guy, and I don’t care to - but rejoicing over anyone getting charged with travelling more than 5km from home is really sickening tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Straight to Dublin Airport, deported to Italy, cargo hold if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't believe for one moment that somebody who takes the trouble to post in covid threads knows nothing about this guy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It will be interesting to see what will happen if he does not pay the fine and is still unemployed. Because there is a provision in the EU FMOP rules allowing a state to require an EU citizen to return home if they fail to establish economic viability.

When did he become unemployed? When that Joe McCarron story kicked off back in September, Mureddu was said to own or run the Headford Arms Ristopub.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rynaldo

They should get the death penalty right lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not a hope, the free legal aid gravy train would be up in arms if such a measure was ever to be implemented. Think about the solicitor's office appointed to defend this dude - there's a pile of paperwork coming down the tracks arising from his endeavours. What right-minded ambulance-chaser is going to give that dosh up?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

Whatever about his anti covid/masks/vaccine shtick it kind of shocks me that was on charges for no insurance, using a fraudulent licence plate, and failing to give information to gardaí and he appears in court about a week later for more traffic offences and he gets a fine of €150.

It would seem to me that there are serious mental health issues based on what was said in the reports but rather then setting him free to engage in further trouble, why isnt he been assessed and if deemed needed, sectioned? Still no excuse and believe even if mentally ill, that he should face the full force of the law

The only mental health issue he has is a bad attitude. He's a known fascist with connections to the Italian far-right party Lega Nord. And as anybody who hasn't been living under a rock for the past few months knows well, he had a significant part to play in the death of Joe McCarron. The 5km breach is a mere sideshow in this case and a convenient distraction from his more serious antics. It is disturbing that somebody who's openly disrespecting the laws in this country and making a mockery of the courts is getting away with a slap on the wrists. I'm not familiar with Italian law but I doubt he'd get away with the same antics back home. If anti-lockdown and anti-vaxxers think that this individual is a person to be looked up to in any shape or form they need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Post edited by Tork on

@swampy353 wrote

It would seem to me that there are serious mental health issues based on what was said in the reports but rather then setting him free to engage in further trouble, why isnt he been assessed and if deemed needed, sectioned? Still no excuse and believe even if mentally ill, that he should face the full force of the law

Firstly, it's (quite rightly) incredibly difficult to get someone "sectioned", what I think you are calling involuntary admission under the mental health act.

Secondly, having stupid opinions and acting on them to harm others is neither evidence of or excused by mental illness. Some people are just arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fair points, but theres clearly some sort of disorders at play with many of these folks, this situation is again showing up the failures of our most critical social systems, in particular our health system

I first said that he should have an assessment (which could lead to sectioning), which I believe is within the remit of the court to order. He may come back as mentally sound but a total crackpot/arsehole, in that case throw the book at him, or he may have a diagnosis, which can then enable him to get treatment and possibly reduce risk to the community.

@Wanderer78 Dont see it as a failure of the health system (yet), see it as courts etc not diverting people towards the help that they obviously need

@swampy353 what your proposing is a fantasy.

He doesn't meet the criteria for involuntary admission (serious likelihood of the person causing immediate and serious harm to himself or to other persons) and isn't going to suddenly see the light and get treatment following an assessment forced by a judge.

I can't think of a less worthy use of our limited mental health supports than this prick.

its multi system failure, our legal system is effectively an ineffective element of our health system, our legal system should flag our health system, but it rarely does, our legal system perfectly displays our social dysfunctions, and the failures of our critical social systems and institutions

Ill give you this, wanderer

There isnt a topic yet that you dont have the same post ready for

yup, because we continue to fail, to meet our needs, in particular our most critical of needs , it basically fcuks us all up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Dee Wall is another anti vax protestor turning up at protests outside Ministers homes , attends every protest and is very friendly with Gemma O'Doherty.

A bench warrant is out for her failing to appear, wanted status.

If I remember rightly she was always outside google HQ protesting.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/7959493/cops-arrest-warrant-anti-vaxxer-dolores-webster-dee-wall/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

At least Dee and that crew seem perma unemployed.

Its when you hear of the loops like this lad that "worked" in a restaurant, it makes you shudder what basic food health & safety standards they decided didnt apply to them.

Wake up sheeple, Big Bleach is coming to get you.

I have said over a couple of posts that he should be assessed. I have not presumed to judge what the outcome of this assessment might be (unlike you).

The mental health act sets out the following as reasons for sectioning

There is a serious likelihood of the person concerned causing immediate and serious harm to himself or herself or to other persons (as you said)

OR

Person concerned is so impaired that failure to admit the person to an approved centre would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration in his or her condition or would prevent the administration of appropriate treatment that could be given only by such admission,

AND

Would be likely to benefit or alleviate the condition of that person to a material extent.

While you may not agree that its a good use of money, don't forget this is a man who talked a vulnerable person out of getting treatment which may have contributed to his death.

Jim Corr complained to the Press Council about being called an "online quack". Jim loses, turns out its entirely correct to refer to him as an online quack

@swampy353 I understand what you're saying, but your reading of the law doesn't reflect how it is actually used (or not) in practice. I believe this because I've been personally involved in trying to get someone involuntarily admitted. The bar is incredibly high and there's just no way someone with weird opinions and antisocial behaviour is going to qualify.

I also think it's a bit disrespectful of antivaxxers to classify their fringe opinions as mental illness. Many of us know people who would buy into some or all of that guy's views, but they're not mentally ill and neither do they have a personality disorder. They're just wrong.

Ireland's attitude to metal illness has become a lot more supportive over the last few years, and that's very welcome, but let's not take from that by responding to every act of public idiocy with the offer of mental health supports.

Fully accept that may not be how the law is implemented but it is how its written.

I didn't imply that all antivaxxers are mentally ill, I said this one person seems to have issues, based on his actions (contract written in red ink, the way he spoke about the courts not having authority over him and encouraging a seriously ill man to refuse treatment). While I don't agree with antivaxxers, everyone is entitled to make choices for themselves and it doesn't mean that they are mentally ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

It's the usual stuff from liberals, they go on about tolerance and acceptance - except people with different opinions of course - they should be denied medical treatment, lose their jobs, and be put in camps...

They don't see they are the real neo fascists...

• Advertisement

Neo Facist?

Is that the guy from the Matrix? 😉

Advertisement