Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And that is why we are decades away from a proper Border poll, like you, those that advocate for a united Ireland have no idea what would happen after a UI referendum in regards policing, but not only that, in regards taxation, social welfare, education, health care, flag, anthem, local government, water charges, etc. etc. etc.

The onus is on those who are calling for a border poll now to explain how they will address all of those issues. If they don't have the answers, then they are completely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Ok fair enough, the Brexit campaign came out with some fabulous promises that did not materialize afterwards. But they won a very contested referenda and had they presented details of the trade agreement and NIP in advance they probably would not have.

Still offers a decent roadmap for winning such a referenda though.

Oh yeah, I am sure that Sinn Fein will use every trick from the Brexit playbook first to get a border poll, and second to try and win it.

However, like in Brexit, if it goes through like that, ordinary people will be the losers.

The answer blanch to all those issues is that we define and resolve each one in a spirit collective cooperation, within a democratic and time limited process.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

yeah in the actual game of politics i accept that it could win it. i take issue with the how, and the why though.

but in a political sense, yeah fine.

But this will be exactly what unionists point to when they sense the poll coming. and like i said we can all say so what, rail road through a border poll like brexit and deal with it afterward. that can clearly happen in the machinations of democracy.

but imo there will be huge issues with all that. and the unrest will bubble before and after. democracy is often a mask, its not a catch all term and its abused by many many people. look at the current covid split in society. im pro vaccinations but i can accept that its undemocratic what say Austria is doing. those same fallacy's and criticsm of functional democracy pop up in any border poll.

But this is why we have FF and FG tip toeing around these issues cause they know the issues. SF obviously can speak out both sides of their mouth, so it doesn't matter a jot to them. they say to the media about the compromise in one instance and in the next they have an elected TD shouting up the ra.

• Advertisement

That's funny, that is. You won't get a border poll through unless you get those sorted in advance or you hoodwink the people using the Brexit playbook. Have a feeling that the exclusionary nationalists are looking to the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

You cant sort everything in advance, its just not possible, as someone earlier said, its "nothings agreed until everythings agreed".

The problem as i see it blanch and starkid, where you want every single issue defined before a referenda, is that while you address each issue, you'll loose people along the way. For example lets say it's determined that the best policy is to disband the AGS and create a new Police. There will be some that are particularly emotional about the AGS and they vote No on that basis alone. That's not a good referenda strategy with macro changes like this. It's basically front-loading emotive arguments when those things could take place afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,316 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You sit down like democrats and talk it out. Interest groups make their proposals etc.

What is it you are looking for? Interests like your own to stubbornly stick to a mantra to exclude discussion and ideas?

It's what you have done so far.

its not that i want it. its that we've seen exactly that it doesn't work long term. we've seen it in both the US and UK. divisionary, willfully ignorant politics in the name of democracy rail road through a minority vote. The US is completely fucked from it imo, and the UK is heading the same way.

and no they aren't emotive arguments.

the emotive arguments come from Idealist and romantic republicans. as i said im not a republican. i recognise the complexity of this Island. unlike the anti british british surnamed neighbours who live in Gerogian housing, watch british tv , read british newspapers,and support british football. the Island is hugely complex. so it would follow that any border poll is complex. its not emotive to suggest that a border poll of 50 per cent plus one is doomed to failure if undertaken this decade. and it would be touch and go if it passed. and then for the sake of rushing things people like yourself ahve fucked us for years.

I do not want Ireland to go down this path. We've been there done that. thousands have died. and its starting to sort itself. we need a railroaded UI like need a hole in the head. theres been enough holes in heads in this wasteful cause for over 600 years. **** that

again the idea is long term.

But yeah i get the worry if you are a UNited Irelander. it could stoke fear. so yeah i get what you mean, its not untrue.

however i believe in peace and long term. if it meant a delay of 20 years, so what.

• Advertisement

That is exactly the Brexiteer strategy. Stick to simplistic slogans and don't explain the downsides to the people. We have seen already how that works out.

You seem happy enough to leave over a million Irish people within a sectarian British statelet though.

Why aren't you advocating additional partitioning? For example let each of the 6 hold their own referenda on it. Basically allowing Antrim and Down to remain British and the other 4 joining the RoI?

If there is, or will be a majority in NI that want a UI, why are you happy enough leaving them in NI that they don't consent to?

no i don't. i totally feel for them. and while yeah im only an occasional visitor to NI like myself and friends or family i think southerners are always equally amazed and a little thrown by the North. I feel sorry for the green side who can't fully celebrate their identity. But again in a UI i'd think the same for a town like Bangor. they don't want to be part of a UI. you'd have to have some sympathy in that regard. there's nothign exceptional about Ireland that saids we can avoid the issues hundreds of other nations face with contested identity. i mean we've already faced it. but in a UI it would be part 2 with Ireland being the country with the issue, not the UK. so its kid gloves time imo.

i don't know why i'd want additional partition. i'm advocating peaceful thought out workarounds. but i don;t live in adream world so i know alot of it is possibly unworkable.

Its like people advocating a 2 state solution in the middle east. it will never happen. NI isn't nowehre near as bad, but it was close. we've only had about 20 years of the change needed. imo it will be another 20 till our society is ready for the changes.

i mean best of luck with your style of border poll. i wouldn't bet on it either way. its not a sure thing.

whereas if you debate robustly, work out and offer somethign to the UNionists/i.e turn the other cheek despite their shite over the years then maybe we will get somewhere.

Starkid and blanch are the ones dealing in 'exclusionary politics' and cannot see it or do see it and think calling those who want democracy to work 'exclusionary' is some kind of defense.

The hoops they are trying to jump through and the knots they are tying themselves in to try and exclude those who want the question asked is a sight to behold.

Everything they propose has a Unionist veto built into it or are so knowingly out of reach, they cannot be attained.

The sectarian British statelet bit is overblown by the exclusionary nationalists, many of whom actually actively resist attempt to secularise Northern Ireland. I have repeatedly pointed to the consistent DUP and SF resistance to integrated education, for example.

The state itself is no longer sectarian, but many of the people and politicians on both sides are.

ah yeah good one.🙄

the irony dripping off this post. you can't see that its people like yourself that drive a United Ireland further from us. it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. you've basically accepted the stuff we've been saying. new symoblisms etc.

the nonsenical narrative you try to paint isn't even worthy of a rebuttal.

again for the slow witted. working with unionists isn't a veto. but some concessions are going to be something we'll have to swallow.

how you think calling out somebody who has basically said a brexit style campaign is exlusionary, **** knows.

Who do you think will vote for a United Ireland without knowing exactly how it would work?? I certainly wouldn't, neither would anyone I know.

Vote for a United Ireland and worry about details later!

of course all those things need to be sorted out before a vote, or else people stick to what they know. Ridiculous to even suggest otherwise.

What utter nonsense.

A border poll at this point in time is undemocratic, because the conditions agreed democratically for the holding of one have not been met. There is nothing exclusionary about that, it respects the democratic decisions already reached that partition will be accepted until something changes. That something hasn't changed.

I am not proposing a Unionist veto in anything. Your blind adherence to a unionist bloc mentality is causing you to see things that aren't there. You even deny the identity of those who want to be Northern Irish, not British, not Irish, continually condescending to them that they are not real. That is possibly the most exclusionary stance that anyone on these boards have taken about any issue.

Pointless if you will continue to lie about stuff you have been told about.

The SoS can literally and legally call a border poll if he/she sees fit at any time and does not have to justify it or explain it. This has been pointed out to you many times now with back up and links to the court findings on it.

You still try to exclude by lying about it

A call for a super majority is a 'veto', no matter how you pretend otherwise.

A call to impose and independent state on those who have expressed no wish for one is also a form of veto on the wishes of a majority.

It is ridiculous that you and Starkid are pointing the 'exclusionary' and 'your kind' fingers at people who are advocating for round table discussions with everybody in the event of a majority voting for a UI. People, like myself, who have no issues with concessions on flags and anthems and other considerations.

The conditions for a border poll set under the GFA have not been met - FACT.

You and SF are calling for a border poll now in breach of those conditions - FACT

Nowhere have I called to impose an independent state on anyone - FACT

Roundtable discussions after a referendum replicate the failures of Brexit - FACT

I have called for other options beyond the binary ones to be on the table, that is a fact. These include increased devolution within the UK, a quasi-independent state with some oversight reserved for the UK and Ireland jointly as well as a future independent State with rights guaranteed by the EU as possible options to be discussed. However, I have not attempted to impose them on anyone. You refuse to engage with such ideas out of fear.

Those that want a united Ireland - SF, posters on these threads - won't get one unless they can actually spell out to those in the middle what exactly it will mean in advance of any referendum. That not a single UI advocate will engage in that discussion on here shows up the poverty of the thinking of the exclusionary nationalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just get it done and we'll worry about consequences later 😆

What 'conditions' were set by the GFA?

The SoS may call a poll when he or she believes it may pass.

That is the condition which Britain's courts found did not constrain the SoS in any way nor imposed any onus on the SoS to justify or evidence their belief.

Therefore calling for a poll is only anti the exclusionary tactics of partitionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

There's a middle ground here. It doesn't have to be as "sunlit uplands and unicorns" fantasy-land as the Brexit Leave campaign was, nor does it have to explain every little detail, because that just isn't practical. Even if it were practical to think of and cover everything, the document produced would be so overwhelming that a large number, maybe a majority, would put it straight in the bin.

Everyones got an issue that is important to them. For me its pension, for others its policing, for others its flags, etc, etc. Some of these will be practical and some will be emotive - but they cant all be addressed before a vote. What there needs to be is some sort of one page framework with high level achievable promises. "No-one will lose out financially because of unification", "Emblems will be decided by ....", " Both police forces will change names ... ", "Election boundaries will ...", etc, etc, that sort of thing.

The problem with Brexit was Remain couldn't promise anything new because everyone already knew how life in the EU was, whereas Leave could promise everything that came into their heads, and frequently did. As long as that scenario is guarded against, there's no reason to have to explain every detail.

I'm not looking for a super majority. its just grown up to accept a 50 per cent plus 1 type of poll will be very bitter. so i've no clue what you are on about in regards to me. i'm not rejecting that. a poll will be called in due course. if its too early theres a very strong chance it fails, and if it passes without robust debate it will fail in the long run. again all i am advocating for is patience and maturity. nothing else so take your aspersions elsewhere ffs.

and im accepting that you seem to be open to discussion with Unionists. its great those on this thread are. in real life, i'm not so confident.

i haven't followed your long running battles with Blanch too closely, at least on this thread. i don't know if the conditions for the poll have been met.

i think recognising the emergence of the middle ground and the alliance party etc is just accepting reality.

Who do i think would vote? People that aspire to a UI and are willing to engage a time limited process to make one.

Who do you think will vote to preserve the status quo in the Republic and vote down a once in a lifetime vote for a UI?

PeaSea, there's another goal with keeping the referendum nebulous. It keeps stakeholders engaged. If every detail is pre-defined, certain people as you identified, will be left out, they didn't get what they desired and vote No and walk away. But running a nebulous referenda means those pet issues are not yet defined, so they can still make their case, thus less likely to walk away.

Personally i think one of the primary drivers of demands that every detail of a UI worked out before hand, is that they are obstructionist. It's another version of Nothing is Agreed Until Everything is Agreed.

'I'm not looking for a super majority' then goes on to advocate for one by denigrating those who think a majority is enough as 'children'.

Yeh ok starkid, whoever you think you are fooling. 😁

If you signed up to the GFA and many moderate Unionists did, then you have already dealt with the notion that the majority wish should be respected. Nationalists have respected it since the GFA.

The Alliance dropped 3 points in the latest poll and it remains to be seen if they are just a holding place for disillusioned Unionist votes.

If there was any remote hankering for an independent NI it would have found a political voice by now.

That isn't what the Court found, that is just your interpretation of it, which is overly simplistic.

The Court found that constraints could not be put on the SoS in advance of them reaching a decision. After a decision, whether that is a formal refusal to hold a border poll (e.g. if formally asked for by a majority of the Assembly) or formal approval of a border poll can still be challenged by way of judicial review.

"Exclusionary tactics of partitionists", you contort yourself again.

• Advertisement

You can't promise that nobody will lose out financially because of a united Ireland, because there is a huge hole to fix in the form of a UK subsidy, and unless you keep some people on lower public service wages and others on lower social welfare, there is a huge extra bill to be paid. Someone somewhere will either be paying a huge extra tax bill or someone else will be losing out.

Just compare teacher salaries for example.

Advertisement