Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They're incapable of reading scientific papers, too. No education. Scientific papers can be difficult to read if you have no background esp. in biology and statistics.

Plus they'll latch onto the lower number re things like immunity while ignoring how the vaccines are in high 90s at preventing serious illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Anti-vax is a pretty toxic brand now, so I've noticed many have watered it down to a milder version. The "I'm just asking questions" and "I'm just concerned about vaccines" and the "vaccines work but" approaches. Means they can sit on the fence more while using all the classic whataboutery techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

This is mostly because this is the tactic being used by grifters to appeal to wider audiences by appealing to more middle of the road people.

It's not because any of the theorists here are coming up with the strategy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭hometruths

Eh? Not sure what the gotcha there is? Can you spell it out for me?

• Advertisement

Not a peep from e because I've been working!

Conspiracy theorists are free to misuse terms and claim things that are entirely wrong and these things are excused.

Sure, misuse terms such as "vaccinate" and "immunity". There is a lot of that going on in this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What would you call the thing being stuck in people's arms for the last year, and for what purpose?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im not in the least bit surprised that you dont understand that document :D

Nope. Only from anti vaxxers and conspiracy theorists.

You've yet again avoided my questions. Why?

It's a strange thing to pick up on, especially when context was given. I've used the term many times when discussing these vaccines. Likewise when I write that vaccines are safe, that term is relative.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but are you prepared to help me understand it as I asked? Because deflecting with insults looks a bit like you don't understand it either :D

Lol. Touch hypocritical there.

I've asked you questions several times and you've ignored them each time. You won't even knowledge that this is what you're doing.

Doing this looks a bit like you can't answer those questions cause they show up your position as silly and dishonest.

Why have you ignored my questions?

Keep your hair on, I've had a busy morning.

Your questions:

Which vaccines grant people immunity to the respective diseases? Obviously smallpox and polio stand out in history as highly effective at granting immunity. In commonly used vaccines today two examples would be tetanus and measles.

Do you agree that the numbers I quoted at you are accurate? You sort of asked this question twice, not sure if you mean the figures you linked in that badly drawn website or the Tony Holahan figures I quoted, but I guess it doesn't matter because in both instances I would agree that they seem accurate.

If I've missed a question, or you have any more questions, by all means post them up for me and I will answer them. I might not get to it immediately due to other more pressing concerns, but you don't need to get in a panic about the delay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So if the smallpox vaccine was quoted as being 95% effective, and the covid vaccine is also 95% effective then why is one connsided by you to work but the other isn't?

Do have a link to 95% claim re smallpox? Is that some sort of recognised scientific claim? Not trying to be smart, I have no idea what % effective claim was, but would like to read more if you have seen something specific.

Ok, the answer is pretty obvious.

The smallpox vaccine claim as 95% effective is clearly credible by virtue of the fact that widespread vaccination clearly led to widespread immunisation evidenced by falling case numbers and ultimately eradication.

The covid vaccine claim as 95% effective is not credible by virtue of the fact that widespread vaccination has clearly not led to widespread immunisation as evidenced by rising case numbers.

Post edited by hometruths on

Covid and even the common flu are more transmittable than smallpox so it stands to reason that milder forms are still more likely to make it into the vaccinated. On top of that, we're far more likely to notice asymptomatic illness than we were then due to testing.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/smallpox/smallpox.html#:~:text=the%20rash%20appears.-,How%20contagious%20is%20smallpox%3F,from%20one%20person%20to%20another.

Anyway, what do you think it is if not a vaccine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So how many people have covid vaccines killed worldwide? I’m trying to determine how unsafe it is.

I guess I think it is more akin to some sort of ant-viral drug - i.e the primary benefit of taking it is reducing the severity of symptoms/infection/outcome if you catch the disease, rather than a vaccine, the primary benefit of which is preventing you catching the disease in the first place.

• Advertisement

I think it's safe to say this is a relatively normal discussion, whereas this forum is for anti-vaxxers and baseless conspiracies, you are all waaaay off topic ;)

The indomitable Neil Oliver on mandatory vaccination:

"a supposedly liberal multiple democracy has decided to assume full rights over the flesh and blood of its citizens".

"A government in 21st century Europe has decided it has the final say over what chemicals go into the bodies of those citizens.

"There's no way of denying that that is the crossing of a Rubicon. Once people have to surrender control of their bodies to the state, those people are in a different world, a world in which they are not autonomous beings but puppets on strings. It's also likely a world from which there is no turning back.

"Some will say well, they can leave the country if they don't like it, go live somewhere else.

"But where in the world to go. In the 20th century, there were still places to go in the world to escape situations and regimes that have become unliveable and a threat to life. But what if the whole world changes in the same way? What if all the world becomes Austria?"

Is his a good argument against mandatory vaccination?

Rather than a link dump it’s a text dump. How about offering your opinion on it, as it’s the way it normally works?

Presenter on Newstalk just said "We're all clearly going to get Covid sooner or later, so the question is do you want to get Covid with the vaccine or without the vaccine"

Odd thing to say about a vaccine which supposedly grants immunity. Wonder where he got that idea.

“Newstalk radio presenter is psychic”. Sounds like one of the headlines on their website alright

You’re the only one stating it grants immunity. Where’s your proof?

He's another one of these "my body my choice" fundamentalists and anti-lockdown types

Note how he doesn't offer any valid reason not to be vaccinated.

No I am saying quite the opposite, that it does not grant immunity. I certainly haven't seen any proof of immunisation. Again, quite the opposite.

As far as I am aware @King Mob is the only one stating it grants immunity.

If you get Covid with the vaccine it's generally less severe, ergo it's better to be vaccinated.

What I quoted is you saying that it grants immunity. So provide your proof!

See how deliberately misunderstanding posts feels? You did exactly the same to King Mobs’ posts as I did to you just now.

• Advertisement

Ok, well I was clearly being sarcastic. But no matter I am not offending by you deliberately misunderstanding my post for effect.

And whilst it is possible I misunderstood King Mob's posts, I certainly did not do it deliberately. If you can point me to the misunderstanding I'll do my best to clarify/correct it.

This was the first post I quoted:

It doesn't "offer you possibility of having covid infecton milder". It grants immunity.

Studies have shown that the vaccines have and effectiveness of over 90%

I again suspect you, like most conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers don't actually know what vaccines are or how they work.

This being especially ironic given that you claimed the covid vaccines weren't vaccines.

The bit I highlighted was the bit which led me to believe he was stating the vaccine grants immunity. Was he being sarcastic? Or did I misunderstand something else? Or perhaps it was a different post?

He clarified it again and you were still having none of it. There’s not much anyone can do if you don’t understand even after been corrected a number of times by people and it’s not deliberate.

Just looking for this clarification. In the next post he restated it.

But it does grant immunity. It's been show. to reduce infection rates. Studies have shown that they have between 85% and 95% efficacy https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison.

i’ll keep looking.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes, it's provable that you are less transmissible with the vaccine than without... Thus it reduces infection rates

What's the confusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No one has claimed the vaccine gives you immunity though.

• Advertisement

was it the next post he clarified it? In which he said:

You are dishonestly conflating "immunity" and "complete 100% prevention of any infection".

now that sounds more of a statement of opinion on my own position, rather than King Mob clarifying what he meant by “it grants immunity”

and it is not just a deliberate misunderstand of my posts, it is a total misrepresentation. Why the quotation marks? Was it to misleadingly suggest that this was a direct quote of something I posted? Looks a lot like it.

but given I never said anything about 100% prevention of any infection his statement was disingenuous at best.

@Fighting Tao shall I go on looking for this “clarification” or are we done here?

Ah, I think I found the clarification in a later post, not directed at me.

I did say immunity.

But that was with the assumption and people understood that this was not an absolute statement. In the same post I give direct numbers that weren't 100%,

i understood he did not mean it granted 100% immunity, there was no misunderstanding deliberate or otherwise on that point.

i understood it that he meant the benefits of The vaccine principally - i.e the approximate 85-95% efficacy figures he quoted - was the granting of immunity, and not that it was principally effective at preventing severe cases/outcomes.

He was pretty clear on that point, so I am pretty sure I didn’t misunderstand him deliberately or otherwise.

I have no issue understanding what that poster meant. After all the context that has been given I don't know why you still think they meant something else when they clearly don't. It's also a relative term. Covid vaccines do confer immunity against the disease, I've used the term many times in that context, but I don't literally mean you get the vaccine and have lifelong immunity or you can't catch Covid.

I have no issue understanding what the poster meant either! I never said anything about lifelong immunity or 100% immunity.

Let me put it another way by asking two simple questions:

1) Given the universal understanding and acceptance of the definition of vaccine and vaccination back in January, do you think the recipients of an 85-95% effective vaccine against Covid expected that the principal aim of the vaccination roll out program was to provide as much immunisation to Covid as possible in our society?

2) Given what we have learnt since January and our understanding of how specifically the Covid vaccine works in real conditions, do you think the recipients of the vaccine booster roll out program expect that the principal aim of the boosters is to prevent as many cases as possible developing into severe cases i.e hospitalisation/ICU/death.

My own view that is it is reasonable to believe in 1) that most understood the principal aim was widespread immunisation and 2) that most now believe the principal aim is to reduce the severity of outcomes.

But what do you think?

1. Won't speak on what recipients expected, the principle aim around the world seems to have been (and to be) to get as many people vaccinated as possible, to reduce the transmission and severity of Covid. I think a lot people presumed that the vaccines would be much more effective in reducing transmission of Covd than they have been.
    2. We're learning that the virus is much more tenacious than we thought, the Delta variant is particularly infectious and that we need to rely on boosters. I don't think the initial aim has changed, rather our understanding of the vaccine effectiveness and limitations has.

• Advertisement

It's telling that you have managed to answer two questions about a worldwide vaccination rollout, the biggest in history indeed, without a single reference to immunisation, which was the absolute unambiguous expectation of any previous vaccine roll out program, significant or otherwise, but now nobody seems comfortable claiming it as an expectation of the Covid vaccine. It's talked about at best indirectly, eg "reduce the transmission".

You say the change has been in our "understanding of the vaccine effectiveness and limitations has", which I totally agree with and I think is entirely understandable given the circumstances.

To me it seems clear that with the benefit of having delivered millions of vaccines the effectiveness is principally limiting what otherwise would have been severe cases to mild doses, and there are fairly significant limitations to its ability to confer immunity and thus the reduction of transmission.

I must admit find it difficult to see how anybody could fundamentally disagree with this in the real world, outside the adoption of intractable positions on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Just to try to put some perspective on it, the Pfizer vaccine trial consisted of 40,000 people, half of whom were given the vaccine, and half given a placebo. They then went back to living life as normal. Over the next 100 days the numbers of people getting Covid were monitored. The results were as follows:

Vaccinated: 8 people got symptomatic Covid, 1 person got severe Covid

Placebo: 162 people got symptomatic Covid, 9 people got severe Covid

These results are public (here) and don't make any claims the vaccine grants you immunity (we can see 9 of the vaccinated got symptomatic Covid, with one severe). What the results do show is that the vaccination reduced the severity dramatically, and reduced symptomatic Covid dramatically (we don't know how many of either group got Covid without symptoms).

It does appear that there may be a waning of the protective effect of the vaccine as time goes on. This doesn't seem to be that unusual. For eg. the US CDC recommends that children should get 4 doses of the Polio vaccine, at 2 mths, 4 mths, between 6 - 18 mths, and again between 4 - 6 years old. The MMR vaccine is recommended as two doses, one at 12-15 mths, second at 4 - 6 years (US CDC again).

Not sure how that squares with the points being made earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A vaccine stimulates a persons immune system to produce antibodies against a particular virus (aided by B-Cell and T-Cell response in the longer term).

Whether the vaccine is 5% effective or 100% effective at that process, it will always be a vaccine due to how it works.

The vaccine itself does not fight the virus in any way, the persons immune system does all of the work, which means the vaccine can only be as good as that persons immune system and why vulnerable people can still get very sick from the virus (particularly the immuno-compromised).

But no vaccine can give 100% immunity to everyone, again, because some people have very weak immune systems (for less transmissible virus this isn't that big an issue as protection occurs via herd immunity).

But no vaccine can give 100% immunity to everyone, again, because some people have very weak immune systems (for less transmissible virus this isn't that big an issue as protection occurs via herd immunity).

Thanks for pointing this out, but once again I'll reiterate that nowhere did I suggest we should expect 100% immunity from covid vaccines or any other vaccine.

Some vaccines offer stronger immunity, other's offer limited protection. The Covid vaccines were never sold as offering any sort of gold-plated lifelong type immunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Would you care to give your own opinion on this and not just the view of the archaeologist turned tv presenter?

Totally agree, and once again I never mentioned anything about lifelong immunity, gold plated or otherwise!

I simply maintain that as a vaccine, it would be reasonable to expect that the principle benefit of receiving that vaccine would be some level of immunity, albeit with the understanding that this immunity may wane in time, and that there would inevitably be a number of breakthrough infections.

That is certainly what I expected with the covid vaccine when it was first announced, because that is/was the understood and accepted definition of vaccine.

Having seen the effects of the vaccine over the past 6-9 months, and watched our case numbers rise as vaccination rates rises, but simultaneously our ICU and death rates fall, my expectations have changed.

I no longer think this vaccine is likely to provide any significant immunity, and I believe the principal benefit of vaccination is that it will reduce the severity of outcomes - eg an unvaccinated person who may have had a severe dose of covid would more be likely suffer only a mild dose if vaccinated. Now, obviously thats a superior outcome to being vaccinated, but it is not immunity.

The yardstick of success that this vaccine is being measured by is the reduction in severity of outcomes. Not in the amount of people who are immunised.

You are subjectively disappointed with certain aspects of the vaccine. That's fine. As mentioned it's a highly tenacious disease, with many variants.

Personally I am very impressed with them, considering the time-frame of development and challenges faced.

Disappointed with certain aspects would be a fair comment, but I am impressed with other aspects.

You mention that

The Covid vaccines were never sold as offering any sort of gold-plated lifelong type immunity

Which is true, but moving on from what they may have or not have been sold as at the start of the roll out, look at the current messaging in Ireland from government, HSE etc on vaccines.

Can you find any examples selling the vaccine on offering any sort of immunity at all now? They're promoting the benefits as they want to get as many people vaxxed as possible, but have you seen any mention of immunity amongst those benefits?

Vaccinated are less likely to catch Covid than the unvaccinated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement