Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Austria hits panic button.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You are trying to justify mandated vaccines using oversimplified, hypothetical data and you are accusing everyone else of being scientifically illiterate 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

If you had the gumptions to actually digest what I posted above you should be able to pick out that an unvaccinated person without underlying conditions is twice as likely (at a push) to end up in ICU. That is possible if we assume that all of the vaccinated ICU admissions are ones with underlying conditions. I am giving benefit of the doubt that thanks to the vaccine nobody in ICU ss without an underlying condition.

Twice as likely is garnered from 6% of the population occupying 12% of admissions to ICU without both a vaccine and an underlying condition. If one person who is vaccinated and without an underlying condition is in ICU with Covid then that single occupancy slashes the "twice as likely" I've probably generously afforded to the unvaccinated cohort above. If there are two, three, perhaps more, then the argument strength for vaccines keeping healthy people out of ICU plummets, or rather "wanes".

There is not much more I can do to explain this to you.

I cannot fathom why there are unvaccinated people in ICU with an underlying condition. This is very strange and it's a pity they didn't/couldn't get a vaccine. Nobody has been able to offer a reason why they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well given ya can't understand the simple ones there wouldn'tbne much point in presenting a more complicated one would there.

Any sure anyway, Bill Gates and George Soros are just paying me to type this so that they can inject more magnetic chips onto people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Pathetic. No one on this thread has mentioned Gates, Soros, or magnetic chips, yet you'll gladly use these cheap smears because you're lacking sound arguments.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I cannot fathom why there are unvaccinated people in ICU with an underlying condition.

You can add that to the long list of things you can't fathom.

Ya see, plenty of underlying conditions are somewhat self inflicted. Not all of course, but many are preventable and avoidable. For example, if you have a braindead ignorant obese person who doesn't understand, or care, they are killing themselves by stuffing themselves with burgers and chips every night, then one might expect a correlation between the person making that stupid decision and them deciding not to take a vaccine to protect themselves.

If someone is thick enough not to get a vaccine, what makes you think that them being diagnosed with an underlying condition is magically going to raise their IQ by a sufficient number of points to get them to change their mind?

Do you know a few people who chose not to get the vaccine? If any of them are overweight, then you have an "underlying condition" candidate right there.

• Advertisement

Lad, I posted a simple calculation/explanation. What is pathetic is that you apparently can't understand it.

Here is a "magnetic post" for ya

Someone who is overweight is not one with an underlying condition. Morbid obesity on the other hand is though an underlying condition.

So in your mind, 38% of ICU is taken over by morbidly obese, intellectually challenged people who are unvaccinated.

Going on tonight's latest figures of 130 in ICU, that puts 49 the number of those people you have in your mind currently in ICU.

Out of 5.1 million citizens, I would hardly call that a crisis or a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

I think your anger would be better off vented in campaigning for more ICUs to be built, perhaps a doubling of the numbers, as was recommended to Health Minister Mary Harney almost two decades ago. Speaking of Harney, how is she doing now? Hope she's not in Trump's ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭brickster69

I know that is the confusing thing to me. Everyone knows the ICU capacity is totally fucked up basically because of neglect by governments over the years. But people make out that it is the fault of a handful of people who have not been vaccinated for whatever reason.

The reason that the hospitals cannot handle a few people going into ICU stands solely at those governments door, because of that reason alone it has kept Ireland under restrictions for far longer than was needed.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Regardless of capacity, surely the idea should be to keep as many people out of ICU as possible? And by not getting vaccinated, you are increasing the chances you will end up in ICU if you catch COVID.

A line straight out of Simon Harris' playbook. By that logic - we should just close down alot of the hospitals to keep as many people out of them altogether as possible?

We spend the sixth highest in the OECD on our healthcare system. Look at the pox situation the system is in - feck all capacity, feck all frontline workers - but a bulging administration system (in an IT age to boot!) that is payed handsomely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so our health system is in a terrible state and your answer is not getting a vaccine so potentially making that situation worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A poll shows the majority of Austrians support the vaccine mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Literally not what's being said, at any level.

It's too easy a target. A majority of Austrians voting for something.

Not sure what your point is. Austrians are quite right leaning, with a big swing to the far-right n recent years especially, and as such there's a stronger anti-vax sentiment than many of it's neighbours. The fact that the majority support a vaccine mandate is very telling.

Or maybe the poll is bs. Like all those YouGov polls that always just happen to get the very result the government wants.

Does the information support your conspiracy theory views about the pandemic? No, therefore it must be "bs". No evidence given. Interesting that.

In truth, I wasn't really making a point. Fine, Austrians can vote as they wish.

It was actually their far right history I was referring to (and not as a serious point)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_Austrian_Anschluss_referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did the professor you quote state that these people were dying in specifically Irish hospitals, being that its a global pandemic and all?

From the quote its not clear to me that they did.

Rather than focus on how many of the people in ICU have an underlying condition, can you tell us how many people in the population have one and what the vaccination breakdown is between them and those without underlying conditions?

Without that its kinda hard to reason anything meaningful from your data that would backup your point.

Assuming that the vast majority dont have any underlying condition would indicate that being vaccinated reduces your changes or ending up in ICU (as already demonstrated by My Trump above)

Post edited by GreeBo on

Well, I suppose what I'd say is I'm not especially trying to convince someone who wants to put their own read on a statement. Here's the relevant news article.

For me, he's very clearly asserting:

1. That many folk presenting to our hospitals with Covid are unvaccinated and "younger"
    2. That there are many deaths resulting from these presentations
    3. That every week these deaths include previously healthy folk in their thirties; i.e. not folk with underlying conditions

As before, CSO figures make it very clear that there are not Covid-related deaths of folk in their thirties every week, with deaths of folk with no underlying conditions being very much in the minority.

But if you think he's saying we need 500 ICU beds in Ireland because people in their thirties are dying from Covid in Ulan Bator, then I absolutely won't attempt to change your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Less then 5% of the Irish population are unvaxxed, most of them are not positive to Covid. Out of the infected ones, a small portion will end up in Hospital.

If hospitals are not capable to handle this, then the issue is with the health system.

Why are we not treating Covid patients at home to prevent hospitalizations for example?

I hope they do the same for cancer patients who smoke, heart attack and stroke patients who are overweight, car accident survivors who were responsible for the car crash. The list can go on

Not sure about you, but most people have jobs and pay tax

it think it's clear who is typing from a basement at this point

Some mainstream media poll doesn't mean much.

It's like when RTE ran their "Truth Matters" campaign. Pretty much every reply on their Facebook was laughing and saying "RTE is fake news" and "government propaganda".

Not starting an argument with you here; just saying a lot of people don't believe mainstream media any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭brickster69

What so you are saying 95% of the Irish population are vaccinated. Is it not about time people stopped spouting this rubbish ?

All roads lead to Rome.

~94% of the eligible population are vaccinated. Do keep up.

When/if they open a vaccination programme to cater for 5-11 year olds obviously the eligible vaccination % score will fall but should rise again if parents en masse opt to vaccinate their kiddos.

So I take it that you are agreeing with me. And actually going further than me? That's grand.

Plus, there will be an additional "Darwin benefit" if we don't have to waste resources on the anti-vaxxers. Might help bring up the average IQ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I doubt it. I have long found that those - and it rarely matters what the subject is - who stick rigidly to one position or another, a position based on views that aren't for turning, views for the most part transmitted from a third party with little application of individual consideration and who are quick to blindly attack The Other Side, are usually equally thick and/or have a lack of plasticity in their thinking.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well it depends on the subject there Wibbs. If someone is arguing that the moon is made of cheese, there isn't really that much room for "plasticity". If they go to a hospital to coerce an old man out of it, who ends up dying as a result, then that has to be treated with the contempt it deserves.

We have to look at it from the point of view of society at large. And everyone needs to do their bit. There is a societal responsibility. If you don't want to be part of society's responsibilities, then you shouldn't get to avail of it's benefits.

If someone won't make an effort to help themself and they die, where they would have otherwise lived had they chosen a vaccine, then that would indeed be a potential Darwin Award candidate.

Additionally, if one finds themselves arguing a point, and looks around and sees that they are mainly surrounded by flat earthers and associated loons etc., then at that point it might be worth reflecting on one's position.

• Advertisement

You don't think that he could possibly be saying that young people are dying all over the world from this and there is nothing special about Ireland that is protecting us, so unless we get on top of this thing we will also have young people dying every week? (Ignoring the rather painful fact you have already been proven to be wrong regarding no under 30s dying of course...)

Advertisement