Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any info on the storyline for the Obi Wan film?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any info on the storyline for the Obi Wan film?

It's now a series not a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron movie has been delayed indefinitely, but she's still attached to direct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is there a reason given? That's a surprise, though maybe Disney just figure Star Wars works best on TV these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No surprise on Johnson's stuff. But I thought the Jenkins thing was a goer. Maybe it's just as well, cos if rumours are correct and it was set in the new era, it was probably dead in the water. I'd say there were a lot of squeaky bums after the farce that was 'Wonder Woman 1984'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder when they bought Star Wars in 2012, did they think the cinemas would become such dead territory for the property? Hard not to read this news as signs Disney are putting their eggs into Disney+

Agreed. But they have also had a big hit with 'The Mandalorian', for all its faults, and they're looking at the generally good reception that their Boba Fett show is getting. I'd say that the ridiculous popularity of 'The Mandalorian' alone outstrips the reception they received for any cinema project they've done. Although, that may not have translated into money. So it's no surprise that Disney+ is where they are looking at for the present.

However, the Johnson stuff was probably canned years ago on the back of the reception to 'The Last Jedi' and they're just confirming it now, and the bad reception to WW1984 may have coloured their perceptions toward the Jenkins movie.

TBH, I don't think either are suited to Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Mandalorian season two killed most of the interest I had in seeing where the Star Wars series goes from here. Disney clearly viewed it as nothing more than a vehicle to set up a bunch of spin-offs. Almost everything they've announced so far just feeds into the sense they're trying to MCU-ise it: filling in lore gaps that never needed to be filled in, and over-egging the stories of characters who were memorable primarily because their appearances were brief and mysterious. Such a shame because season one was precisely the sort of tight, focused standalone story the series needed.

Outside Johnson's potentially now-shelved trilogy (frankly, as a huge fan of TLJ, I'm now happier he's off doing his Knives Out thing), the films announced thus far don't inspire confidence and can't say I'm particularly enthused about entire series focused on Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Andor or Ahsoka. At least the Obi-Wan one will be short and might give McGregor / Christensen some actual readable dialogue to work with. But after the embarrassing Rise of Skywalker and Mandalorian's obnoxiously fan-servicey season two... I can't say anything announced so far to follow them up has sounded like the creative kick in the arse the series needs.

the Obi-Wan one will be short and might give McGregor / Christensen some actual readable dialogue to work with

I wonder what the main narative thrust will be there. It's hard to see what kind of an expansive yarn they can spin that doesn't cut across Episode IV. Although maybe there's all sorts of exciting stuff going on beyond the Dune Sea that we have yet to discover...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well that’s the thing! It’s not like there’s any ambiguity or gaps left in the Anakin / Obi-Wan relationship - the films tell a complete story. This is by its nature redundant or superfluous unless they’ve got a really good story hook.

There’s possibly a solid, modest-scale story to be told about Obi-Wan’s time in the shadows. But going back to my post above, Disney are increasingly insistent about tying everything back to the Skywalker saga. ‘Obi-Wan and Darth Vader fight… yet again!’ is hardly the most dramatic or high-stakes hook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Actually I think Lucas left quite a few gaps with Obi-wan and Anakin: Obi-wan learning that Anakin is alive and is "now more machine than man", Obi-wan making a final attempt to turn him and having an encounter with him in his new form where he becomes truly convinced that he's lost. In ROTJ Vader says that Obi-wan once thought as Luke, however Obi-wan doesn't show much agency in Ep 3 and is ordered by Yoda to fight Anakin (which is absurd) and there's a familiarity between him and Anakin in his Vader form in ANH that doesn't line up with Episode 3. Also there's the whole rise of Vader as he hunts down the remaining Jedi and Yoda giving up. So I think there's plenty for the show to explore, even if a lot of it is just taking advantage of Lucas's mistakes with Ep 3.

I was assuming it would be largely set in the wilds of Tatooine but I suppose they'll find some excuse to move Obi-Wan around the galaxy. Maybe they could have a crossover with Rogue One, have him hanging out with Galen Erso et al...

The problem with quoting Star Wars dialogue is that it's like quoting the bible in that their is usually something else to disrupt a certain line of thinking. Vader says that he was "but a learner" the last time he met Kenobi, so that pretty much rules out any kind of face to face for me in the Kenobi series.

However, I wouldn't be adverse to Kenobi investigating just who this Darth Vader bloke is behind the scenes. That alone would make for an interesting one off TV show. There are options for it to explore. But they absolutely shouldn't meet. There's been enough damage done to the original films by prequel stories already.

BTW, I don't think anyone should be putting much stock in what the prequels showed. The were a bloody mess.

The fact that the one piece of concept art we've seen (at least I think it's the only bit?) is the pair having a lightsaber duel in a fiery environment is what's set off alarm bells about what the TV show is aiming for.

I do think McGregor probably deserves some sort of opportunity to play the role without being weighed down by a turgid Lucas script. But eh we'll see - my confidence in Disney delivering anything particularly noteworthy or interesting Star Wars wise is not very high at the moment.

Yeh, my spidey senses got set off by that pic as well. But there's so much Star Wars concept art that isn't really reflective of the finished product, so I'll wait and see.

But I'm the same re: Disney. I've never thought that they were the right people to be in charge of the property.

Yeah but the learner line can also be interpreted as a Sith learner, which may have been how it was originally intended anyway. I mean, Anakin isn't really a Jedi learner in Ep 3, didn't they nearly make him a jedi master? I get your point and agree about the prequels but they are canon and Lucas left these huge gapping holes in them, so I don't have a problem with the series filling them in if it means doing some of the stuff Lucas screwed up properly.

Mmmmm, I'd still be against any meeting between them.

As for learner, no, I don't think he could be classified as that. 'The Clone Wars' cartoon (I wasn't a fan) had him teaching Ashoka or whatever her name was. You could interpret it as "Sith learner", but I think that might be over stretching things.

As said, we'll just have to wait and see how this thing is handled. There's some slight wiggle room for a one off story here, but for it to be any use it'll have to avoid all the trappings of the cheap SW fan service that has plagued Diswars so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Natasha Liu Bordizzo cast as Sabine Wren for the upcoming Ahsoka spin off series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I might be imagining it but I can see a resemblance.

in The Mandolorian Ashoka was looking for Thrawn - it would be cool if Lars Mikkelson played him in live action too.

Not sure how I feel about a possible Ezra return. He made a noble sacrifice and we can’t have too many Jedi (official or not) wondering the Galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

She'll never publically admit that the sequel trilogy was a complete failure on a storytelling level and created disinterest for anything beyond TROS, so she's obligated to keep it alive by mentioning it from time to time.

Post edited by Relikk on

That makes sense. I believed her like - the panic is subsiding thank goodness. :p

I think there's scope for a few of the characters "lost" as the sequels went on, it wasn't a complete bust. Finn and Poe were the best of the rest, basically ignored in Rise of Skywalker in favour of the Rey Palpatine Fanwànk Hour; you could expand on what was, in theory, a pretty interesting character with Finn alone. An ex stormtrooper would have a lot of serialised possibility, and be an interesting perspective for a story. IIRC Boyega remains pretty enthused about the series. While Oscar Isaac played the "act first" wannabe hero Poe pretty well - when he was given something to do. And both he and Boyega had good chemistry from the few moments they had in Episode VII.

The sequels aren't irredeemable, they just hobbled themselves with a course correction so panicked and desperate to "please fans", with all that Skywalker crap, characters were dropped so Rey and Kylo could stand around admiring the franchise they existed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Finn would have had potential if for the start he was a person recovering from the mind conditioning he had been put through since he was a child. Instead he apparently emerged as an ordinary person or was never conditioned in the first place. Last I read Boyega was berating all and sundry - except Abrams (the writer/director responsible for sidelining him) - didn’t sound like he would go back.

Poe is pretty much pointless - which is saying something in the Sequel Trilogy. Issac, a major fan of Star Wars, is apparently in no hurry to return either unless he needs the money - his words.

I don’t see how the Sequels are not irredeemable - they are done now and nothing can what they are.

Personally I have no desire to see any of those characters again or there to be any mention of First Order, Resistence, etc.

If the post-RotJ were to ignore the whole thing I would be happy.

Would live if Keri Russell got a series as a completely different character.

I haven’t seen the live action Aladdin yet

Hopefully Mikkelson really is in - I wonder if they design Thrawn to be the same as in Rebels. He has an unusually large head.

I wouldn’t mind Zeb and Hera with Chopper and Jason making guest appearances. I kind of hope Sabine and Ezra are only guests too. Don’t want it to be Rebels 2 - want it to be Ashoka.

• Advertisement

Issac, a major fan of Star Wars, is apparently in no hurry to return either unless he needs the money - his words.

Advertisement