Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent Experience with Budapest Dentist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

That is priceless, you should be in politics!

Translation: 'I made it up".

source.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

That is priceless, you should be in politics!

Translation: 'I made it up".

I appreciate the vote, but I think I would make a terrible politician. I am:

1. Too Honest.
    2. I give too freely of my time and information.
    3. I answer the question asked.
    4. I dont pander to populist ignorant opinion.
    5. I dislike strawman attacks.
    6. I let facts get in the way of my wishes.
    7. I tend to try convey the nuance of a problem, but often end up confusing and angering those who's beliefs feel threatened. When I boil it down to the soundbites, people think I am making things up.
    8. I think people are tired of "Experts" and balance dictates that people working on flawed intuition or non generalisable personal experiance really know as much as a trained professional, should get an equal say in things they are ill equipped to talk about. Generally this "expert" is countered with arguments from points 1-7.

I will stick to the dentistry, I think I can make a go of that, and I am too old now to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

I appreciate the vote, but I think I would make a terrible politician. I am:

1. Too Honest.
    2. I give too freely of my time and information.
    3. I answer the question asked.
    4. I dont pander to populist ignorant opinion.
    5. I dislike strawman attacks.
    6. I let facts get in the way of my wishes.
    7. I tend to try convey the nuance of a problem, but often end up confusing and angering those who's beliefs feel threatened. When I boil it down to the soundbites, people think I am making things up.
    8. I think people are tired of "Experts" and balance dictates that people working on flawed intuition or non generalisable personal experiance really know as much as a trained professional, should get an equal say in things the are ill equipped to talk about. Generally this "expert" is countered with arguments from points 1-7.

I will stick to the dentistry, I think I can make a go of that, and I am too old now to change.

I was going to say that you forgot to mention your modesty, but I guess you didn't forget, it's just that you were too modest.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Locked at OP's request.
    Tune back in next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Re-opened for the update

• Advertisement

So - welcome back!

Like I guess a lot of people Covid knocked my check-up schedule out of kilter, but after the summer I booked an appointment with my local (Scottish expat) dentist.

Anyway the news is good. I just needed a bit of a clean, and that was it. My teeth are fine and my overdentures are good. At some point over the next few years he thinks that I might need to think about implants, but not for the moment. An x-ray confirmed that there is sufficient bone to consider implants.

So that's it, no drama, my head still hasn't exploded.

I made an appointment for a check-up in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Have any of the dentists on here had Hungarians and Turks travel to Ireland for dental treatment?

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

What would be the point

You'd have the same issue as Irish traveling over there for treatment

Point being that the dentists here suggest the offer a better product/service. So I want to know what proportion of the Irish dentists on here treat people coming from countries such as Hungary and Turkey for that superior treatment. Nothing wrong with the question and I'm asking it to the Irish dentists on here, thanks.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

It might be a better product and service before you factor in international travel

Anyway your question is obvious trollbait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I have a lot of Turkish patients, some Hungarians who live here and don’t travel home for treatment, does that tell you something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I came across this thread years ago, and have read it through again this morning.

I'm amazed that the OP does not seem to be factoring in the opportunity cost of him giving up his own time when making his rationalisations.

If the OP lives in the Middle East, I will cost a day of his time at the very conservative figure of €100 per day. So, even apart from the monetary cost of all of the flights and hotel rooms, the OP has spent spent at least €2-3k of his own time on this course of dental treatment (I haven't counted up precisely, but I think it's over 20 days counting up all of the trips).

(for the record, I am not a dentist, and as I don't live in Ireland I don't even use Irish dentists, I have precisely zero dog in this fight).

You can add a zero to the price of a day of my working time😂, but I am salaried and I have leave (including medical leave which I used for the first visit) to call upon.

Secondly, all of my trips to Budapest have been either at the start or end of a holiday in Ireland - I would guess that I have spent no more than 10-12 days in Budapest.

Finally, I love Mitteleuropa. Austria, Hungary, Czechia and Slovakia are my favourite destinations for a holiday. You don't factor in the opportunities to visit museums and galleries, the classical music scene, nor the value of enjoying a leg of roast goose with a Hungarian red, followed by a strudel and a glass of Tokai.

Thanks for your response - just to be clear, I was also counting the days spent in Ireland where you knew you would have to be back in Hungary again within x days when arriving at my figure of 20+ days for the opportunity cost

but I am salaried and I have leave (including medical leave which I used for the first visit) to call upon.

I am also on a salary and don't get paid for the weekend, but if I had to spend a weekend away from home waiting to see the dentist again on Monday, I would ascribe a certain opportunity cost to this time, aside from any financial costs incurred.

Given that you earn €1,000 per day instead of €100, the 10-20ish days of travel spent either in Budapest, or travel which was dictated by your need to return to Budapest again within a certain time, would seem to me to result in a fairly substantial opportunity cost, given that the decision to travel to Hungary for dental treatment in the first place was on foot of a saving of €2k (if I understood the first posts correctly).

You don't factor in the opportunities to visit museums and galleries, the classical music scene, nor the value of enjoying a leg of roast goose with a Hungarian red, followed by a strudel and a glass of Tokai.

This is true, I suppose - this can be added to the benefit column when totting up the costs and benefits of the exercise. I'm glad that the teeth are going well for you, in any case.

Days spent in Ireland, for me, are a benefit, not a cost (opportunity or otherwise).

I have never spent a weekend in Budapest waiting for a dentist, and any time spent in Budapest where I was not on a dentist chair I was a tourist in one of my favourite cities.

Thirdly. I'm an economist. You clearly don't understand the concept of opportunity cost.

I'm an economist. You clearly don't understand the concept of opportunity cost.

No doubt you are correct - I suppose I mean the... non-monetary costs of the time spent travelling, and of having one's plans circumscribed by the need to go back and forth to city a few hours' away to attend to dental work.

In your case, this isn't a problem, as you really enjoy Budapest, but perhaps it is something that prospective patients should take into account when booking a procedure.

Hillman I’m not going to read this whole thread again, but I’ve a vague recollection of you posting that you went back a few years after you had the work done to have your overdentures remade when a few teeth fell off them. Could you remind me who paid for that trip/treatment.

Also, it is a bit disingenuous to claim that the fact you go there for leisure should be construed as the travel/time for dentistry being without cost. If this was the travel forum and you claimed you had a bit of dentistry while describing your holiday, we all could understand your viewpoint. But this is the dental forum and you are extolling the benefits of dental tourism, so of course cost/time of travel is of primary importance to the discussion.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Yes it does. It tells me that those people regard it as making more sense to just go to the dentist rather than structure their trip home around going to the dentist.

In general Hungarians seem to have v good teeth. In your experience do they have good dental hygeine?

To be honest I haven’t noticed that they have very good teeth. A number of Hungarians have said to me that domestic patients do not tend to go to the clinics dental tourists tend to attend as they are to expensive for them. I suppose the assumption is that because treatments are cheaper there, there would be no reason why all Hungarians don’t have good teeth, but the reality is that their average wage does not make dentistry at that price point, affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My take away from this is that Hillmanhunter1 is happy with the work done and has stopped neglecting his teeth and now goes to the dentist. But doesn't like Irish dentist or at least their prices. You can't blame the dentist in hungry if his teeth were in poor condition and one had to be pulled.

I had braces, oral surgery and an implant done here and given how involved it was I'd personally preferer to have it done here and pay a bit more.

Saying that I've switched dentist recently as the one I was going to did a big job on their building and then suddenly all my fillings which they had renewed 5 years before needed redoing.

Any dentist reading this a sofa from Ikea in the simple waiting room is fine I don't expect a boutique hotel reception, keep the funds for better equipment

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a good dentist in Ireland that costs are on par with the cost of Hungarian dentists or maybe up to 20% more. I’d stay at home but I hate being overcharged just for the sake it.

Just a passenger

There is a Clinic in Carlow owned and operated by Hungarian Dentists, their prices are actually higher than many Irish owned Clinics. Hopefully the irony of that is not lost on you. Google is your friend.

If you feel you are being overcharged, I would urge you to travel abroad. You will be happier.

Yes. After about 5 years a couple of veneers fell off, which is about the normal standard for overdentures.

I don't go to Budapest specifically for leisure, but I do enjoy leisure time when there, and it is a city that I like. So that goes in the plus column.

I think you are spoofing here.

How many Hungarian patients do you have? How many conversations have you had with Hungarians concerning the dental standards in that country?

I seems to me that such comparative data as exists suggests that the standard ordinary dental services in both countries is about the same:

Healthiest Teeth Index | Qunomedical

You say that their prices are "actually higher than many Irish owned clinics". I'm sure that you are right that there may be some Irish clinics with lower prices, but that may not give a complete picture. As suggested, I googled their prices:

Fees | carlowdentalcentre

Who do you think would be a fair comparator?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

You're not being over charged for the sake if it.

Ireland is a more expensive country than Hungary. Pints,taxis,meals,hotels are all cheaper.If you did whatever job you do here in Hungary you would get paid less.

It baffles me when people cant understand this and complain about the likes of staycationing here or dental procedures etc being cheaper in cheaper countries.

No Hillman, it really isn’t normal standard for veneers to fall off after a couple of years. So when you are updating about the “success” of your treatment abroad, please include that parts of it failed after 5 yrs and lead to you going back to Hungary to have it remade, I’m going to assume at your cost as you haven’t clarified who paid for that.

As it is 5 yrs since you traveled back to Hungary to have the cosmetic part replaced due to fracture, you are saying it would be “normal” for you to soon travel back to have it all replaced again?

Again, if you are making a point about the benefits of dental tourism, it seems odd that you ignore the costs and time involved in travel because you enjoy the city/country. For virtually everyone else, and you don’t need to be an economist for this, the cost and time involved in travel is an important consideration when travelling for treatment.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Do you think there are no Hungarians outside Hungary?, or maybe you think they don’t go to the Dentist. That is about as logical as an Arab assuming a Dentist in Qatar is spoofing when he/she says Irish people attend their Clinic. Hillman, you never seem to tell the truth and are constantly being caught out.

• Advertisement

Google tells me that on average dentures last between 5 and 10 years, so they were in the ballpark. It looks as if my second set will last much longer🤞

As for the cost, perhaps you've noticed that the title of the thread is "Excellent Experience with Budapest Dentist" and not "Cheap Dentists in Hungary"?

Cost considerations were a factor in my decision of go to Budapest, but my purpose in starting this thread was to say that (contrary to the collective "wisdom" of the cabal of scaremongering dental practitioners on this sub-forum) it is certainly possible to travel to another country and get excellent dental treatment.

Advertisement