Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I can't help but feel they missed the mark with the update. People wanted a save option not a single suspend option. If you die you still get put back to the very start which is what kills the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,630 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I haven't played it but sounds like that's the point ala Dark Souls although it seems a bit harsher losing 2-3 hours. My problem would be the real world calling me in the middle of a run which a save and quit option would work but then, maybe it's not too much fun dying and losing 2 hours worth of progress. I suppose thinking of it, like if Dark Souls had no bonfires or shortcuts, that could be fairly tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I do think that a save system would probably go against the ethos and design of the game, and make the game too easy. It negates many of the game mechanics.

The suspend option is a good compromise. It means you don't have to devote a 3-4 hour chunk of time to a single run at a time, but also retains the challenge of the game by preventing just reloading a save. The game would become far too easy and would prevent the permanent upgrades and progression you earn from repeated runs.

Losing 2 hours I can live with. Playing the same level 40 times I can't be arsed with 🙂. The game gets very boring very quickly.

I'm not good at these types of games so it straight up excludes players like me. There is no valid reason not to have a respawn or save state as an alternative mode.

There is no online that needs balancing. You are just playing against yourself. Who cares if I saved and reloaded or if someone else ran right through as long as we enjoyed ourselves doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A suspend state is exactly what the game needed. The game - like many, many others - is based entirely around runs, so to offer the chance to save and load freely would completely break the flow the designers have, well, designed. If it's not for you, it's not for you - but Returnal would be completely different with manual save / loads, and all the worse for it. It's no different to Dark Souls, Hades etc... etc... in that sense. The game also does have permanent upgrades, shortcuts etc... that do cut down on run-times as you progress.

The runs were too long to not have a proper suspend function - I've gotten to the last biome, but decided to hold off really committing until this feature was introduced as it was tough to put aside three guaranteed hours to make that final run. But now that there is a suspend feature, it'll make the experience much, much smoother without at all compromising on the very particular game Housemarque made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Seize the Throne. Play games, use share function and earn trophies to gain points. Unlock avatars and shyte for community targets reached. People who get enough can answer 3 questions to win prizes including a PS5.

Plus the Rogue-ness of it means each run still does feel different. Even though you come across a lot of the same rooms, enemies etc in almost every run, the rng means each run will throw different things at you that can either really work in your favour or completely f*ck you over. You're never really starting from square one or the last bonfire like with Dark Souls, where enemies are always in the same locations and you're trying to go in the same direction. Every door and chest in Returnal is a flip of the coin.

The full length of a run can definitely be too long, and the suspend feature really helps with that. There are other features designed into the game to help with deaths, which can bring you back to life on the spot or the regenerator (if you can find one). But if you could roll back saves, you're less likely to use those, meaning you're less likely to use your currency on them (meaning you use them on damage or something instead), and takes out part of the risk/reward of the game design. You could save abuse before opening malignant chests too.

I disagreed with the lack of a save feature at the start, and it was only because I enjoyed the gameplay so much that I ended up just powering through and spending those hours on often wasted runs. But having played the game, a full save feature would just go against the overall design of the game. The suspend feature (6 months too late for a lot of people) is a decent compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Problem I now have with them games as I have kids now I can't play them as I might need to turn off the computer with a drop of the hat having to do something, so with no save feature I can't play them as I can't give them the time they deserve as I could easily play it at night time and 1 of the kids wake up and I have to turn off the computer right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"I suppose thinking of it, like if Dark Souls had no bonfires or shortcuts, that could be fairly tedious."

Ahem, it already is even with those...

I think a suspend is a fair compromise in Returnal. I look forward to getting it again, preferably through Plus or Now. Might be able to finish it if it has this.

• Advertisement

Dark souls is hugely satisfying, especially when unlocking said bonfires or shortcuts. Now as for Sekiro, that was one tedious game.

I think Sekiro had far more checkpoints than most Souls games, though because the gameplay is a bit more tied to stealth it can take longer to go between checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Deathloop down to 49.99 already in Smyths. Tempting but will probably wait if it's dropping this fast.

No sign of a Demons Souls price drop anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Be worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Weekend as it's only around the corner. Got a few games in Smyths last year for good prices, a few euro cheaper than everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Down to 46.19 on the PS store until the 3rd of November.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Remember that Deathloop is a third-party game - Bethesda does seem to be quite generous with fast pre-launch discounts.

Early indicators seem to be Sony might be aiming for a Nintendo style approach with their first party titles, trying to have them retain value. Fingers crossed that’s not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I have managed to get multiple PS5's recently for people thanks to the twitter page already mentioned:

He is completely on the ball and has said multiple times there will be stock in time for Christmas - follow the page and set up notifications! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Got one in Smyths this afternoon, guy told me they had none in stock but then after abit of a chat he went back and surprised me with a PS5 disc edition from the store room.. They obviously do have them and are sitting on them but saying nothing for the moment.

Seems Returnal has a workaround save system. If you save your suspend state, then upload it to the cloud the game can't delete that one. Any time you die you can download it again and pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I thought I update on this. They didn't get back in contact with me until 5 days later to say they couldn't replace it and it would need to go to the screening centre and the turnaround time was 15 working days. I had already got in contact with the them again in the meantime and had organised a return. It was picked up on Friday from work, arrived in Dublin monday morning and a replacement seems to be on its way from France - it was shipped yesterday and hoping to have it back for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lads, my son is looking at Vanguard & FIFA 22 for Xmas. However, we’ll be visiting family etc round Xmas so he won’t even getting playing them for a few days. I remember last year FIFA 21 being reduced to €35 a few days after Xmas.

So would we be best get him PS Store credit and tell him to wait until the After Xmas sale? I presume he might easily get the two for say €100 then whereas FIFA 22 is €80 at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

wait for Black Friday deals at the end of this month. FIFA is always discounted- keep an eye on Smyths or Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jj880

For digital whenever im waiting for a game to be discounted on the store i put it on my dekudeals.com wishlist. Then you get an email soon as its discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'd be very surprised if you manage to get both of them for €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Last year Fifa went right down to 35 euro almost immediately after Xmas. It was a max of 2 to 3 days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jj880

Fifa 21 went down to 34.29 on 22nd December on the PS Store but only for a few days so its a good idea to sign up for the discount alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there one game out at present for the ps5 that would be considered the demo game?

The one that shows of best just what the new console can do, over and above a ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We loved Astrobot on the VR, so looking forward to playing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Racthet and Clank is fun and looks amazing too. Also uses the trigger function.

Advertisement