Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Severe wear on outside edge of passenger rear tyre only

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most parts are cheap enough and barring access, I've no experience with an Alto, it shouldn't be a big headache.

I'd imagine a €100 - €150 would cover most parts.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Access is quite good there isn't much in the way and components are small, car has minimal rust so bolts should come out easy,

She went ahead and booked her NCT for the end of the month, not realising the bald outer edge tyre will fail, and no point in putting just a tyre on it because it will just happen again, so I'll have to jack it up soon and have a look, changing the shocks is a given before anything else.

Lifted the car up today and tried to move the suspension arm bushes with a long pry bar, they all tested well and they look in good shape too, no cracks, dry rot, I did notice that on that side of the car a piece of the chassis is completely missing? The car was crashed before it was bought as a first car many years ago for my girlfriend, this is to be affecting tracking.

Were they ever changed? If not then they need done regardless of how they appear. I've had my Vectra for almost 10 years and have changed all rubber/bushes at least twice in that time.

When you say a piece of the chassis is missing, can you elaborate? The bit you have highlighted in black, that is the "fixed arm" for to take the anti roll bar.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

None of them were ever changed, I understand rubber degrades over time but there isn't any excessive movement in them?

Yes I took two photos, the one that I highlighted in black is the rear drivers side, the other photo is the rear passenger side, which doesn't have the two components that I highlighted in the other photo, shouldn't they be the same on both sides?

• Advertisement

BlakeS94 - None of them were ever changed, I understand rubber degrades over time but there isn't any excessive movement in them?

None that you can see which is different to how it'll act under load/driving. I know its a small car, and fairly light, but its respective. The rubbers/bushes usually have a predictable shelf life.

For example my Vectra I only recently done the rear trailing arm bushes. First time in almost ten years and while there were no wear signs on the tyres, no knocking noises from the rear, and no other tell tale signs I knew they were old enough to warrant replacing. On the car they seemed solid and still functional. Off the car, and compared to the new ones they were rubbish.

My upper and lower (additional) control arms last about 3.5 to 4 years at best. They aren't know for lasting long and with the cotunry roads I travel it speeds up their failure even though I only do 5,000 miles per year. I've replaced these 3 times so far.

Also the fact you have uneven wear would suggest something is worn. Not trying to push you towards a load of work, and not suggesting this is the cause of your problem, but at 11 years+ they have, imo, reached the end of their life and replacing them and other rear bushes/rubbers along with a new 4 wheel alignment will most definitely fix either current issues or prevent future ones.

BlakeS94 - ......... shouldn't they be the same on both sides?

No. The fixed arm hangs on the O/S and the exhaust goes above it. The anti roll bar attachs at this "arm" and goes across to the N/S where it is mounted with a sinlge bushes/bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Thanks for the info Cass, to be honest, it's a car that she may be changing within the next year or so, couldn't justify replacing the entire rear suspension and probably need to do the other side also if changing everything on one side. She's going to put a new tyre on it and I'll be with her asking about the tracking and getting a printout to see how the rear camber is.

I've never seen a suspension setup like that, strange one, there's no anti roll bar bushes or links on the back either the bar is just a straight bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Dirty Nails

The reason it hasn't bushings or links is it doesn't have a sway bar. Thats a Panhard Rod.

It doesn't have camber or track adjustment either. It's a beam axle.

Very common setup.

Advertisement