Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ah, where did we ever hear the word 'Humanitarian Intervention' as cover for invasions? Sure Hiter used that playbook when he wanted to rescue the Sudeten Germans in Czechoslovakia. Bush & Blair of course used similar language to justify the invasion of Iraq.

You can call it what you want Francie, but it would have been an invasion, an invasion on a NATO nuclear power may I add.

But since you asked where you advocated it....

Why have an army and a constitution if you abandon your people. The IRA ran away for a while but the Irish state ran away completely.

Why have an army indeed!!

No need for invasion. Peacekeeping would have filled the vacuum.

Please don't tell me they would have been wiped out, anihilated etc etc. What if old Churchy had have thought that way. We'd all be speaking German etc etc

Chilling... very chilling.

It's as clear as day that you advocated unilateral military intervention from the Irish State into the NI which even today is part of the United Kingdom. You can dance on a pinhead all day long and pretend it's 'peacekeeping' but nobody would believe you. I don't think even you would believe you.

Never mind yourself advocating that we should have not signed up to the treaty and invaded the north to ensure no partition took place in 1921, regardless of the cost and lives that would be lost.

Well, at least you are level-headed to acknowledge that military intervention wasn't feasible and would have been a disaster.

However, what could the Irish state have done? I often hear that they should have done more, but apart from the odd crackpot advocating invasions, what could the Irish Government at the time have done. Maybe more diplomatic and political pressure, but this was all really behind closed doors.

The fact that you still hold this belief is outstanding.

The Irish government could have called it the second coming of Jesus Christ, or a charity march.... it wouldn't have mattered because it would have been an invasion. Foreign military personal crossing a border uninvited is nothing else.

Are you honestly and seriously saying that the Irish government should have ordered Defense Forces personal over the border armed with their rifles and live ammo to face a much better equipped and numerous BA?

You live in cloud cuckoo land Francie if you actually believe it would have ended well.

If one wants to look at history, look at the Falklands War.

A few islands, thousands of miles away from the UK, with only a handful of Brits living on it, full of bird **** and seals, that no one cared about before 1982. When Argentina invaded the UK cared very very much...

Yet, for some reason sending Irish troops into the North, which may I add, is actually part of the UK, not some British overseas territory miles away from anything, with 1 million Unionists (now even more angry) living in the province... would have been greeted well by the average Joe Soap in the UK?

I sometimes wonder what planet people live on sometimes.

No country in their right mind would have accepted such a scenario. Christ WWI broke out over such requests in the Balkans...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If someone plants a bomb, the responsibility lies with the people who planted the bomb, who organised the planting of the bomb and those from the sidelines who gave succour to the planting of the bomb.

• Advertisement

It is astonishing that such blinkered thinking about 1969 can still be put forward. Your Falklands analogy is very apt. There is no way that any crossing of the border would have been tolerated.

I am certain that the relevant State papers have yet to be released, and they will probably not be released within my lifetime, but when they are, I am also certain that there will have been serious diplomatic pressure, warnings and threats applied by the British government to the Lynch government of the time, but also other international pressure as well, and that the correct decision was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Certainly true; one has to take responsibility for one's own actions.

It would however be naive in the extreme to think these things happened in a vacuum and not examine what led to it. One can fully accept that the responsibility for planting a bomb lies with the person who planted said bomb, while also believing that responsibility for creating an environment where things could fester to that point should also be discussed. To actively ignore that end of the equation, stick one's fingers in their ears and pretend that the Provos were wholly and solely responsible and if they hadn't showed up we'd all have been hand in hand signing Kum Ba Yah.....well that just implies a dishonest, agenda laden approach to the topic.

God knows there's plenty of responsibility to go around in the short history of NI.

The civil rights campaign was winning, until the PIRA started bombing people into agreeing with their particular aims. The public outrage over Bloody Sunday was drowned out by the public outrage over the PIRA response. If the PIRA hadn't gone on their killing spree, Northern Ireland would have been a much better place to live, decades ago.

The public outrage over Bloody Sunday was drowned out by an active attempt by the British government to cover it up, Blanch.

It was also one of the biggest recruitment drivers the PIRA ever had.

How you can look at what happened on Bloody Sunday and figure the Civil Rights Campaign was winning, I have no idea. I can tell you for a fact that the majority of the Nationalist community in NI didn't feel like it was winning at the time. Unfortunately we don't have a crystal ball to find out how true your statement is but given their track record, I'd find it tough to believe the British were just going to decide to play fair immediately after shooting innocent protestors in the street.

To be clear, before you attempt to deflect further I am not saying that this makes the actions of the PIRA correct or just. My point remains as it was; trying to view the actions of the PIRA in a vacuum without addressing how things festered to that point.....well it is either dishonest or naive.

Attributing responsibility to the British government for the sectarian state filled with blatant discrimination doesn't diminish the responsibility the PIRA have for their actions......nor do the actions of the PIRA afterwards excuse the actions of the British government. You always seem very comfortable with the first half of that but very quick to try and ignore the second half with your whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If someone presides over and shores up a sectarian bigoted state, the remnants we still see today, where does the responsibility lie?

• Advertisement

The remnants of the sectarian bigoted state are most clearly seen in education. Those most resistant to change in education are the two sectarian parties of Sinn Fein and the DUP. So whatever about the past, the clear responsibility for hanging on to the vestiges of sectarianism lie with them.

Self serving nonsense in light of current events. We know what is meant by the remnants, it was out firing petrol bombs last night.

I missed this, Mark.

The Irish state didn't apply enough diplomatic and political pressure, and yes the pressure that was applied was behind closed doors; that is part of the problem. The pressure should've been applied publicly and openly instead, in a manner that could at least potentially have drawn more attention.

Nor did it provide enough support for Irish citizens ran out of their homes and across the border as refugees; the government memo describing them as, 'ungrateful' and suggesting that many were just going on holidays certainly didn't give a great impression.

I'm still in total agreement that a military intervention that would've likely been over before lunch time would have been ill advised.

The firing of petrol bombs are the symptoms of the disease, the painful and obvious parts.

The real heart of the disease is the continuing sectarianism in education, protected by the DUP and SF.

We all know why SF and the DUP continue with the sectarian education system, it benefits them directly with bums and seats, with bigger wallets full of expenses paid for by the Queen's shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Doesn't seem to been mentioned much (if ever) in these recent NI threads.

I dunno what they are teaching in NI but it can't be history, as the lack of knowledge about UK, NI and Ireland shared history has been shocking.

They were on the streets because they haven't the education to see that they are pawns in the game being played by the sad belligerent remnants of the suprematist Unionist culture. A culture that grew up with the blessings of the British state and tacit approval of the Irish one.

They wouldn't take part in education, integrated or not.

You, like Unionism are just seeking to hold everyone responsible bar those who had the actual power to change it, the education system was segregted long before SF or the DUP had responsibility for it and it the violence was far worse.

You can hardly say the civil rights campaign was winning, or that any of this was connected to bloody Sunday, if a large bombing campaign had kicked off long before Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Sometimes people feel they've no option but to resort to violence. There isn't an army or country in the world that acts any differently. The trouble with the IRA was they didn't suit the DUP, FF or FG.

Thats why we've people still talking about them anytime SF or northern Ireland is discussed.

Michael D. was dead right to keep well out of it.

I see far less mention of the scumbags commemorating the B specials, but hey, thats not troubling support for FF/FG.

• Advertisement

When people feel they've no option but to resort to violence, 99.9% of the time they are wrong.

In Northern Ireland, it was wrong, there were other options, but the PIRA's actions destroyed any chance of those other options working.

SF and the DUP have responsibility for it now, and are doing nothing. They are protecting their sectarian bases.

You can wring your hands and cry about past wrongs, but when you are supporting those who are responsible for current wrongs, you are as bad as can be.

You wouldn't want to know about how bad the education system up there is. One of the huge costs of a united Ireland would be fixing their completely broken education system up there.

There is nothing sectarian about what is happening at the moment. It is about Brexit and The protocol and Unionists abstract feeling of being separated from that Union.

It is you and militant belligerent Loyalists who are attempting to sectarianise that. I.E. Protesting at Lanark Way last night...a deliberate and sectarian act.

Yeh, batoning civil rights protestors off the streets was the favoured 'option' along with arrest and detention and intimidation. Pogroms in Derry and Belfast and burning out of house and home all over the north in sporadic attacks. Within 3 weeks of the British Army arriving, an 'option' welcomed by nationalists they were attacking them indiscriminately in an attempt to bring the 'law and order' favoured by the sectarian regime in Stormont.

That is exactly where those with the power abdicated their responsibility with flagrant disregard for the welfare of all the people. The Irish government stood idly by in word and deed too.

There were very few options left.

Dunno how you could argue people are the worst now considering it was far worse in the past.

Best to stay as far away from the whole mess entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, batoning civil rights protestors off the streets was the favoured 'option' along with arrest and detention and intimidation.

I'm sure the loyalist fanbois on this thread would have absolutely no problem with that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he advocated for peace keeping and nothing more.

peace keeping isn't invasion, since the goal is not to take over the country, but to prevent 2 or more sides from engaging in conflict.

ultimately yes it would have been better to stop partition via violence in the first place as while lives would have been lost, this whole issue would be long in the past now and ireland would be a united country where all communities would be able to play their part.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the only reason the uk cared about the malvenas was because they needed to prop up an at the time, failing prime minister who had little chance of re-election.

so, they cut the fleet that was protecting the islands, allowed the argentines to take back their islands, an then went over to retake them and boom, more terms for the failing prime minister with a populous right behind her more then ever before.

perhapse they were also aware of the oil deposits down there back as far as then also but i guess we are unlikely to ever know that one for definite.

but make no mistake, if there was no sort of strategic reason to do so, they would just have left the malvenas to the argentines and negotiated safe passage for anyone wanting to be repatriated to the uk.

northern ireland is not and never will really be part of the uk, it is only ruled by it and is part of it in name only, since the treaty to partition the island was based on blackmail and the threat of violence upon the irish people if the dignitaries didn't sign it.

• Advertisement

yes, however those who created the conditions which caused that bomb to be planted are just as responsible if not more so, given they had the power to stop those conditions from being created but refused to do so.

so that is why britain and the so-called government of northern ireland were more responsible then the paramilitary groups, since they instagated and allowed those conditions to be created and flurrish.

Advertisement