Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is it illegal to use Metal Detectors in Ireland

Options
  • 03-11-2021 11:01pm

Another great historical treasure find in England.

It's illegal to use a metal detector in Ireland, except on the beach. You can't even search your own land. The theory seems to be better the treasure rot in the ground than be sold off to a foreign buyer.

I'd love to go out searching for archaeological artefacts. But it's not allowed here.

This thread isn't for the archeology forum because it will be immediately locked.

I wonder how many Irish treasures have been ground up by mechanical diggers and tractors over the past century?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

too much chance of coming across more catholic church septic tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Because god forbid you make a bit of money off your property... Am I wrong in hearing that anything below 2ft on your property belongs to the Government? Just in case you find something accidentally and try to make money off it. If so, I'll remember that when the septic tank gets blocked again, definitely below 2ft...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Because the Jesuits would rather the evidence of this Islands vast and important indigenous pagan past stays in the ground until it turns up by accident, or never.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

It's not illegal to use one in Ireland.

However, if either I or my family found anything in our properties (residential, business etc.) we would be keeping it. Regardless of it's historical or financial value.

One of the arguments is that if Amateurs try digging out important finds they will wreck them. Meanwhile roads, like the new Westport to Turlough one, are smashing through the landscape.

When is the last time we had a major treasure find in this country?

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure it is illegal unless you have a permit from the state which you won't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nothing to do with how deep it is buried. The State owns things to do with national heritage, not you or any other individual regardless of what else you own. You may be entitled to receive a reward for finding it however

It is illegal for practical reasons as it would be almost impossible to prosecute people otherwise for trying to pillage items belonging to our national heritage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there have been plenty of finds in the UK which were never 'found'. i remember one of the main presenters on time team, mick aston, saying he wishes the UK had the same law as ireland does as there have been plenty of archaeological sites ruined by detectorists.

It is against the law to engage in general searches for archaeological objects in Ireland using a metal detecting device unless you have received written consent from the Minister for Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. To do so without such consent places you at risk of prosecution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

I'd say you're thinking of a law from one of the countries that don't use metric(Liberia, Myanmar or the USA)

Fair point for the UK, maybe they have a functioning department searching out and excavating these sites. Here things are just left in the ground.

There's a good reason why a parent would tell their kid not to study archeology in Ireland. Because they will not have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Does that not cover lands/buildings already discovered, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Here things are just left in the ground.

this is one of the most important things you can do, archaeologically. leave things in the ground. we don't want to dig up everything immediately.

the fact that you talk of things 'being left to rot in the ground' suggests it's a damn good thing you're not out with a metal detector.

one example, 2003; the wicklow pipes. the world's oldest known surviving wooden musical instrument IIRC.

we don't want to dig up everything immediately.

Oh, it's getting dug up allright.

By a JCB.

Didn't they make some major find down in Waterford a few years ago?

In the UK all treasure belongs to the monarch. That rule obviously didn't survive Ireland becoming a Republic. But the Supreme Court found that the State had a right to all items of national heritage.

Edit: I have just seen that Bubblypop posted the link to the actual case above.

I would support the policy if we had a functioning heritage department that could seek out and excavate new sites, but we don't.

• Advertisement

re the comment about things being destroyed by roads, i know someone who used to work as an archaeologist here and she mentioned the motorway building period about 20 years ago was boom time for archaeology.

e.g.

http://www.archaeologicalconsultancyservices.ie/index.php/archaeological-projects/m4-motorway-archaeological-contract

this is a 2005 satellite image of the M6 route just west of tyrrellspass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Because randomers digging up artefacts tells you **** all about their context ie the important stuff. Sure you’ll have a few trinkets, but you’ll have a balls of a time trying to figure out what that “story” of the object is. Archaeological dig sites are essentially like crime scenes.

Right. And the dig for the missing woman in Kildare last week as well.

So they are just reacting to what other people find. And depending on their good will reporting it.

How many developers don't want the 3 week delays and just 'forget' to mention that mound they dug through?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I have a friend who was working in the “industry” around then. He said that the archaeologists were terrified of holding up construction for too long.

A lot of “finds” we’re ignored, obviously they couldn’t ignore any big ones but the company wouldn’t get hired for any future digs if they were anyway thorough.

A fair few archaeologists were unemployed around then too so you can see why they were beholden to the business “interests” of the construction groups.

The tide is turning…

Archaeological dig sites are essentially like crime scenes.

Yeah, but someone needs to report the crime first, otherwise the body is just left to rot by the roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The object itself isn't the main interest. It's the context of where it's found. Say you find a thousand year old silver cross in the ground. How do you know it's been in the ground a thousand years, or some lad didn't bury it there last week or last year, or 300 years ago?

The problem with metal detectorists is they destroy the context of an object.

If something has survived in the ground a thousand or five thousand years, it's unlikely to be destroyed any time in the next few hundred. Plenty of time to get proper archaeologists to dig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Now, I don't know if things have changed in the past 10 years, since I was involved, but a lot of the data collected in those thousands of boom time digs is still sitting in warehouses somewhere.

Plenty of money to get the lads in to do the survey and remove anything of interest. Zero money to actually collate all the data and publish anything of interest. Please correct me if things have changed.

If we can't organise enough ICU beds to get us through a tough winter, why does anyone imagine we have the political desire or money to explore our rich historical heritage?

But if Tom Cruise was going to be making a movie here, we'll dish out the grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There is an artefact in the National Museum, the Tubberduff Torc, that was found a couple of fields down from my home which I always find fascinating. I have always wanted to explore the general area as surely there'd be more treasures hidden, but the legality of it (and the fact they are 'working' farmers fields) have prevented me doing so.

Advertisement