Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This one from the TV show was by no means pro-Shinner, but bang on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Callan should do a satirical piece about a government broadcaster that funds its own political satire by extracting money from the populace under penalty of large fines/imprisonment.

RTE is not saving satire (and therefore politics itself, hurrah!), nor is it speaking truth to power, it's cynically taking your money, laughing in your face and supplying you with bullsh1t.

It's absurd. But it would make a great topic for, well... satire.

YAWN…

Lots of innuendo in the show so sometimes it's hard to follow.

Main one is that Michael D. Higgins is a closeted homosexual.
    That isn't a 'main one', or an innuendo at all, to my knowledge. I think I've heard all the Callan's Kicks this year; haven't heard anyone suggest such a thing. You got any specific example?
    Callan should do a satirical piece about a government broadcaster that funds its own political satire by extracting money from the populace under penalty of large fines/imprisonment.
    I think the juice is sapped out of that joke by the fact that, in the first place, the Government funds a broadcaster which repeatedly mocks and ridicules it. Kinda makes a nonsense of that hysterical #RTEbias hashtag (in my opinion).

Can't quite see your joke landing, but I'm sure Callan welcomes listeners' suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Anyone who couldn’t see the shill for Lynn Boylan in Callans take on the DBSBE is ……. Challenged.

An observation : listening to Callan Kicks after Drive time with Cormac & Sarah
    Is a bit like..

Watching the puppet film comedy "Team America",
    After watching the movie

"The Kingdom"

• Advertisement

An observation : listening to Callan Kicks after Drive time with Cormac & Sarah
    Is a bit like..

Watching the puppet film comedy "Team America",
    After watching the movie

"The Kingdom"

Eh…….. right.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,424 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anyone who couldn’t see the shill for Lynn Boylan in Callans take on the DBSBE is ……. Challenged.

He used Boylan to have a go at Mary Lou and he's 'shilling' for her? :)

Do you know what shilling is by any chance Brendi?

He used Boylan to have a go at Mary Lou and he's 'shilling' for her? :)

Do you know what shilling is by any chance Brendi?

I dont need you to tell me,a chara.

Francie…… subtle…… think about it dude…… :D

S U B T L E

:rolleyes:

Lynn Boylan abù………. Like I said, subtle, Francie.

Wouldn’t expect you to get that though.

Lynn Boylan abù………. Like I said, subtle, Francie.

Wouldn’t expect you to get that though.

:D:D

As I asked, are you sure you know what 'shilling' is?

• Advertisement

Indeed I do Francie,and you should be well versed in the art yersel.

Now make your point and stop the arse boxing, pal

Indeed I do Francie,and you should be well versed in the art yersel.

Now make your point and stop the arse boxing, pal

I think I made it. You have no idea what shilling is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That isn't a 'main one', or an innuendo at all, to my knowledge. I think I've heard all the Callan's Kicks this year; haven't heard anyone suggest such a thing. You got any specific example?

Haven't been listening to it lately but I remember a sketch from years ago where he was playing hide and seek in the Aras with his 'executive assistant' Kevin:

"I won't be in the closet, you certainly won't find me in there...I'm used to squeezing myself into tight holes."

Also one where they were growing facial hair for Movember:

"I've got a beautiful beard...I call mine 'Sabina'"

I think I made it. You have no idea what shilling is.

Done with that rubbish Francie….make your point and stop annoying people.

Done with that rubbish Francie….make your point and stop annoying people.

I made it, he has no idea what shilling is if he is getting upset about how Lynn was treated on tonight's prgramme which was pretty much how everyone else was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Not a bad episode last night, but the MM and LV segments lacked the punch of previous weeks.

mzungu wrote: »
    Not a bad episode last night, but the MM and LV segments lacked the punch of previous weeks.

Yeah, the episode as a whole didn't quite hit its mark.

The SF sketch is usually a highlight, that also fell flat.

I found it more political than usual. I agree with the sentiments expressed in that Manic Street Preachers song, but his broadcast of 'If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next' was not political satire. That's politics.

Maybe there was a subtle joke that I missed, but I don't believe so.

A surprisingly weak ending to an otherwise very good series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

Anyone know what the reference to Pat Shortt getting some (grant?) money was about?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

He throws in these worrying comments every so often - is it true the HSE portal is run or was designed by 17 consultants from Ernst & Young?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Glad it’s back, enjoyed it last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Same old bog Irish squawking and screeching. They got it right once with Halls Pictorial. Floundering miserably ever after. This garbage is long since past its sell by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Don't forget Scrap Saturday. Callan doesn't deserve to help serve the tea in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,963 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just listened back, I love this show albeit Callan''s Trump & Boris both pretty awful and rather pointless.

Loved the Leo and MM Sketch, Leo has Leo down to a tee. For me however as a follower of da liveline thread, the best was da pandemic bonus liveline Sketch, he does Joe Duffy and more importantly a typical caller to this show, perfectly.

Poor old Mickey D gets an excellent mention too 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think this show is excellent. An Ireland without political satire would be s sad place.

I imagine the government would love to shut him down. Co-Teesh indeed!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Callan should become like Bill Murray in the Movie, The Waterboy. Then things might start, well, becoming funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭plodder

The Simon Harris character is good - "block block block" I assume that relates to his interactions with people on Twitter?

Also, Mary Lou is excellent. He's put a lot of work into refining her quirks and nuances. I think this will pay off in the years to come ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭RINO87

The Eamonn Ryan character in the background of the "Covid Cabinet" meetings are always funny.

"Flowers are like nightclubs for bees" from last week made me laugh, quite loud!

Kinda obvious what was meant Brendi, MLMD will outlast Michael and Leo as political figures.

• Advertisement

No idea what your point is there, to be honest.

Advertisement