Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Guaranteed to bring forth a ripe steaming bolus...

Good suggestion there, a chara...no doubt the Brend will take that one on board so to speak.

I'm spending too much time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Guaranteed to bring forth a ripe steaming bolus...

Good suggestion there, a chara...no doubt the Brend will take that one on board so to speak.

I'm spending too much time here.

Erm….. appreciate the advice, Brenner getting a bit of a shoeing here, time to go under the slate…….:(

• Registered Users Posts: 66,926 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Erm….. appreciate the advice, Brenner getting a bit of a shoeing here, time to go under the slate…….:(

I've forklift here that might help lift the slate Brendi, all that straining after a repast of fibre could lead to an embarrassing event in the indergarments. ;)

I've forklift here that might help lift the slate Brendi, all that straining after a repast of fibre could lead to an embarrassing event in the indergarments. ;)

Big workshop up there in fairness, Francie.

Very good product…. Appreciate your concern.

Load of tosh so far…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lots of kicks at Sinn Fein as usual ...he really seems to have it in for M L McD...

Quiet Tommy loud Tommy is good...

Balding leo .... hah

• Registered Users Posts: 66,926 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Balding leo .... hah

Enjoyed the Shinners and Friends and Marty too.

Enjoyed the Shinners and Friends and Marty too.

Marty was excellent.

The “small balls” indeed...

• Advertisement

I liked the DUP sketch, railing against "filthy moderates" and the "witchcraft of fenian lovemaking in the republic of Gomorrah"

Taxidriver Brian Kerr is great stuff.

Also Michael D bashing off fan-letters to celebrities on his typewriter.

Callan is on a good run lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Not a fan of his political biases off the mic, and he needs to be a bit more thoughtful in his use of Twitter etc., but I can't find any real evidence of leanings in any particular direction, at least of late, on this show itself.

It's worth noting too, as stated earlier by others, that there is a lot of work in putting it all together each week. He's doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Loud & inappropriate Tommy... standing in Eyre Square, with a donkey under me arm, smoking skank out of a didgeridoo

Excellent

Not a fan of his political biases off the mic, and he needs to be a bit more thoughtful in his use of Twitter etc., but I can't find any real evidence of leanings in any particular direction, at least of late, on this show itself.

It's worth noting too, as stated earlier by others, that there is a lot of work in putting it all together each week. He's doing a good job.

You will have plenty of chances next week.

In for Tubridy, but he’s subtle, you have to listen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

His Dobbo is so good, I get a chuckle when I hear the real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

pc7 wrote: »
    His Dobbo is so good, I get a chuckle when I hear the real one.

Is that Brian with an I or Bryan with a protestant Y?

From a previous episode.

Government funded satire is the best satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Lots of innuendo in the show so sometimes it's hard to follow.

Main one is that Michael D. Higgins is a closeted homosexual.

Is it because Callan is homosexual himself that it is ok to make these kinds of jokes?

Lots of innuendo in the show so sometimes it's hard to follow.

Main one is that Michael D. Higgins is a closeted homosexual.

Is it because Callan is homosexual himself that it is ok to make these kinds of jokes?

It started waaaay before Callan arrived on the scene

Lots of rumours about Mickey d over the years

Just from memory Back in mid 90s I recall some story about him, supposedly leaked by dail staff-think it was in the Phoenix...

Long and short of it - lots of rumours about MDH going back years

• Advertisement

The worst thing about Callan Kicks is how monumentally unfunny it is.

The worst thing about Callan Kicks is how monumentally unfunny it is.

Have to say I find it pretty good.

Some sketches miss the mark but usually good stuff to be found in each half hour episode

Possibly the funniest “political satire” show on Irish scene

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Denny61

Some bits are funny but a lot of it sounds like the same take off voice all the time..only so many characters he can imitate before they all merge in to the one sounding one voice with a twang ..I think he should team up with others .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Tommy Tiernan sketch was VERY good. He has him down to a tee!

Doodah7 wrote: »
    The Tommy Tiernan sketch was VERY good. He has him down to a tee!

Yep. Captured the “split personality” well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I thought the Friday show had some genius moments. Very entertaining.

Satire has always been important in Irish politics. Long may it continue.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Callan should do a satirical piece about a government broadcaster that funds its own political satire by extracting money from the populace under penalty of large fines/imprisonment.

RTE is not saving satire (and therefore politics itself, hurrah!), nor is it speaking truth to power, it's cynically taking your money, laughing in your face and supplying you with bullsh1t.

It's absurd. But it would make a great topic for, well... satire.

Callan should do a satirical piece about a government broadcaster that funds its own political satire by extracting money from the populace under penalty of large fines/imprisonment.

RTE is not saving satire (and therefore politics itself, hurrah!), nor is it speaking truth to power, it's cynically taking your money, laughing in your face and supplying you with bullsh1t.

It's absurd. But it would make a great topic for, well... satire.

You want it all for free, buddy. :eek:

Duddnt compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Ah I think its pretty good and look forward to listening on a Friday.

Most of it is genuinely funny and the inpressions are mostly good. I think a few are too repetitive and overdone like the Sharon Ni Bheolain obe and Huw Edwards/Boris Johnson ones although he had fresh material for that this week but normally its the same recycled sketch.

I think he is relatively goid at having a go at all the main figures in the main parties. Labour and Soc Dems seem off the agenda and although they are small parties he has a go at AAA/PBP a fair bit.

One thing I am wondering is there will be a lot if coverage and material about the Dublin Bay South by election and how he handles Hazel Chu.

I remember there was a sketch when she was going for the Seanad as a non green Green and the sketch included Eamon Ryan, Catherine Martin and her extended family and Hazel's husband Patrick as a rabid D4 head. The one person he dud not mimic in the sketch was Hazel herself.

On a programme that is built on imitating voices this is obviously "problematic". Maybe he might do a liberal ladies sketch about it or maybe a When Mehole met Hazel given the former's past penchant for "problematic" impressions.

• Advertisement

Now that Lynne Boylan has had yet another cut at getting elected to something, I feel he will cut his cloth accordingly.

Tomorrow morning will be interesting as to how he tries to conn the listeners as to who he shills.

:D

Interesting times ahead.;)

Will he risk it out in The Pink Palace….a nation holds its breath

Advertisement